+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread

IMO the Yankees have their heir apparent at SS if and when Jeter moves off SS or retires.

Right now Nunez is a unity player for us, but this kid could start at SS on a number of teams and be a really good one too.

His throws were erratic last year and that has to improve, but this kid can rake and he has nice range at SS as well.

I don't look at him as a career utility player.

I view him as a potential starter if he's not traded, and I think he can be a TOP 10 SS, maybe TOP 5
    Last edited by Battingly; 04-19-12 at 08:05 PM.

NYYF Legend

Re: 2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread

Where is the evidence that Nunez can "flat out rake"?
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post

Okay maybe not flat-out, but he can rake

The evidence is in the eyes, you can see it, you can see when someone is hitterish

During autumn?

“Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF MVP

Rake is a strong word but this isn't the late 90's era of shortstops if Nunez got consistent AB's it should be no surprise if he was league average or better in the context of a shortstop.

He can hit.

NYYF Legend

well I don't know about rake. But both times he that he got consistant steady ABs because of injuries to either A-rod or Jeter, he posted .300+ BAs over those times.

One thing he has show is he'd got some wheels.

I personally think he could start at SS for a number of MLB teams and hold his own. The defense might be ugly but the offense I suspect would be a bit above average for the SS position. Not A-rod/Nomar/Jeter in thier primes above average but above average given what's out there at SS in MLB these days.

I like him as a utilty guy on the Yanks because if Jeter/A-rod/Cano goes down for more than a 15 day DL, I think he's a guy that won't be a black hole filling in.

Mind you, I'd prefer all three of those guys stayed 100% healthy this year but I think Nunez is a guy who can help much more than a Chavez, Hall or Pena should one of the big 3 go down for an extended period of time.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF MVP

When it come to Nunez's defense I remember in a interview(don't remember where) where Teixeira was talking up how talented Nunez is and how he could start on many teams.

When it comes to his defense and I'm paraphrasing he basically said that we have to understand that Nunez is still a young player not some super utility grizzled veteran guy who can come in and play spotless defense playing 1-2 games a week like it's nothing.

He elaborated that he couldn't do it meaning playing 1-2 maybe 3 times a week and expect himself to play elite defense at 1B because that is not easy repetition is important specifically in baseball.

The only way you can expect someone young like Nunez who has as much raw talent as he does to become better defensively is by playing everyday which at this point in his career as a Yankee is not likely.

But the Yankees front office and coaching staff love his current offense to go along with his offensive potential enough that they can live with the spotty defense highly likely derived from erratic playing time.

I've seen interviews where people have given him the benefit of the doubt saying it's hard to play 3rd one day, 2nd the next, then 3rd etc. He said "it is, but it's no excuse (for the errors)"

NYYF MVP

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/04/0...z-on-saturday/

The lineup will change on Saturday, with Girardi planning to start Eduardo Nunez at shortstop or third while giving either Alex Rodriguez or Derek Jeter an early DH day. Thats going to be the regular plan against lefties. Might as well do it in Game Two against David Price.

NYYF Legend

Any word yet on the corresponding roster move?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    Any word yet on the corresponding roster move?
    Chavez activated off 7-day concussion DL.

Starting tonight at DH.
    You know they are not real pies, right?

"I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

Nix will back-up at SS and 2b.

Girardi on the move. "Maybe we are just asking to much of this kid at this point in his career".
    You know they are not real pies, right?

"I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoux101 View Post
    Chavez activated off 7-day concussion DL.

Starting tonight at DH.
    Good to hear.

I feel badly for the kid. He can definitely hit, but his defense has been so bad that there was no other alternative. I just hope this doesn't mess up his psyche so badly that he never makes it back to the bigs.

NYYF Legend

I am surprised by this move as with Gardner out, he was one of the few players on the Yankees who could create a run with the SB. True his glove was abysmal, but I thought his bat/legs are at least better than anything that Nix has to offer.

NYYF Cy Young

Interesting that Lohud didn't report it, but I saw it first here and heard it on the Michael Kay show. Lohud used to be a good source of early news.

Thread Information