+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    I try so hard to get all the jokes on the internet.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

is that really hard to get though?

that guy is a butcher... Nunez is a butcher...

Quote Originally Posted by unfamous loser View Post
    is that really hard to get though?

that guy is a butcher... Nunez is a butcher...
    Thanks ... I guess I was looking for a deeper meaning, or expecting that image to be a meme I wasn't familiar with.

Also in the Kuroda thread there was a post with a picture of a steak and a picture of chocolate cake and I didn't get that one either. So I thought this might be related somehow.

hitting .455 with .500 OBP and 1.000 SLG giving him 165 OPS+.

SSS but just saying.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Legend

He's sneaky good, 24 yrears old and has an underrrated upside. He needs to work and on the D and I hope he can develop some more pop in his bat.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.roy View Post
    He's sneaky good, 24 yrears old and has an underrrated upside. He needs to work and on the D and I hope he can develop some more pop in his bat.
    I agree. Fans are quick to give up on players while baseball teams can't be that way as development of some players takes a little longer than others. There is a reason why other teams keep asking Cashman about Nunez. Sure, he makes silly errors, but is that the only defensive metric you use to judge his defensive ability as he shifts around the infield? He never played a lot of 2nd or 3rd base in the minors so now he has to learn to do so in the majors.

A nice article on Nunez that I don't entirely agree with, but apparently, other teams are still after Nunez.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1065867

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    A nice article on Nunez that I don't entirely agree with, but apparently, other teams are still after Nunez.

Good to see others recognizing that Nunez should be groomed as an outfielder. I also would rather not let Swishers's LH bat go next year, so I see Jones being the odd man out and Nunez getting the role of RH DH and reserve outfielder.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Thanks ... I guess I was looking for a deeper meaning, or expecting that image to be a meme I wasn't familiar with.

Also in the Kuroda thread there was a post with a picture of a steak and a picture of chocolate cake and I didn't get that one either. So I thought this might be related somehow.
    There was no deeper meaning beyond making people happy.

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    There was no deeper meaning beyond making people happy.
    Thanks ... I have to agree, that is a very comforting picture of a man butchering the carcass of a dead animal. And the beef and cake in the other thread were tasty to look at too.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I agree. Fans are quick to give up on players while baseball teams can't be that way as development of some players takes a little longer than others. There is a reason why other teams keep asking Cashman about Nunez. Sure, he makes silly errors, but is that the only defensive metric you use to judge his defensive ability as he shifts around the infield? He never played a lot of 2nd or 3rd base in the minors so now he has to learn to do so in the majors.

If you can't field and throw the ball, what else matters? Jeter gets a lot of slack for his crappy defense, but he rarely commits mistakes on the balls he actually gets to.

it all depends on how bad he really is at defense in the long term. can't be that uncoordinated, right
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    hitting .455 with .500 OBP and 1.000 SLG giving him 165 OPS+.

SSS but just saying.
    I noticed, although these dropped a bit after last night.

He has under-rated offensive skills, and some pop in his bat. He showed last year when he played regularly for the injured A-Rod and also for Jeter that he can drive the ball. His overall fielding improved with the regular play.

My take? He may be one of those guys who can't be a part-timer. Maybe he needs the daily reps to be at maximum effectiveness .

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    it all depends on how bad he really is at defense in the long term. can't be that uncoordinated, right
    He's playing at so many positions -- including, rumor has it, upcoming starts in the outfield -- that his sample at each of those positions is going to stay small for a while. All the context switching probably increases the difficulty of playing well at any of those positions.

What are people's thoughts on how Nunez looked in left today? He made some good plays I thought even though he didn't look quite natural out there but I imagine that would come with time. I'd like to see more of him in LF, couldn't be worse than Ibanez or Jones out there and at least he has some speed to make up for him maybe not taking the best routes on fly balls.
    I'm too smooth you'll never see me comin', I'm never in a hurry I'm just movin' fast...

Quote Originally Posted by NewEraYanks2527 View Post
    What are people's thoughts on how Nunez looked in left today? He made some good plays I thought even though he didn't look quite natural out there but I imagine that would come with time. I'd like to see more of him in LF, couldn't be worse than Ibanez or Jones out there and at least he has some speed to make up for him maybe not taking the best routes on fly balls.
    He's ok out there. Made a couple of nice catches.

IMO, he doesn't look natural at any position he's played.

He's not the smoothest guy on the field.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    He's ok out there. Made a couple of nice catches.

IMO, he doesn't look natural at any position he's played.

He's not the smoothest guy on the field.
    It is a little difficult to look natural when you are playing a different position everyday.

I am not saying that this guy has GG potential at any position, but stick him in one place for fifty consecutive games and I think he becomes a reasonable defender.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Better than the alternatives- Ibanez and Jones
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

He went from rapping to baseball. Gotta give Eduardo Nunez some props for that.

NYYF Legend

thought this was amusing (and true):

“He talks funny; he runs funny; he swings funny; he catches the ball funny,” Andruw Jones said [about Nunez.]. “Everything he does is funny.”

btw, i've never seen someone with a career sub-.700 OPS in the MINORS get so much attention
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

With Nunez in LF & Ibanez in RF I am scared everytime a ball is hit to the corners. As I said in the past I think Nunez will be the Yanks regular Of'er in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    thought this was amusing (and true):

“He talks funny; he runs funny; he swings funny; he catches the ball funny,” Andruw Jones said [about Nunez.]. “Everything he does is funny.”

btw, i've never seen someone with a career sub-.700 OPS in the MINORS get so much attention
    What were Bubba Crosby's numbers?

(Not saying he got quite the same attention as Nunez but let's face it, he is the reason we almost didn't get Johnny Damon.)

NYYF Legend

hey, kid can atleast play some OF. Super Utility for the win!!
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    hey, kid can atleast play some OF. Super Utility for the win!!
    I had the chance to take my kid to Spring Training in 2009 and watched Nunez light it up against the Phillies and Pirates ... hitting the ball hard all over the place. I've liked him ever since. Having seen him play for the big-league club it's obvious he's a real mixed bag, but still very likeable nonetheless. He has his moments when he really contributes. And even when he screws up, it's hard to stay mad at him.

NYYF MVP

No one is saying he's another Robinson Cano in the making.

But the reason why the coaching staff likes Nunez so much irrelevant of his minor league numbers is that they see a lot of untapped potential.

You can also be sure his teammates see it as well.

I see it when the guy hits and squares the ball, runs the bases or when he makes plays simply because of his athletic ability.

Coaches really like those type of players that they feel have the potential to grow into better players and they like being a part of untapping that potential.

Nunez is a nice player to have on a roster for the amount of money he makes him actually tapping into his potential and becoming better is up to him.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrusader View Post
    No one is saying he's another Robinson Cano in the making.

But the reason why the coaching staff likes Nunez so much irrelevant of his minor league numbers is that they see a lot of untapped potential.

You can also be sure his teammates see it as well.

I see it when the guy hits and squares the ball, runs the bases or when he makes plays simply because of his athletic ability.

Coaches really like those type of players that they feel have the potential to grow into better players and they like being a part of untapping that potential.

Nunez is a nice player to have on a roster for the amount of money he makes him actually tapping into his potential and becoming better is up to him.
    This is an excellent post...sums up why Nunez is going to get a lot of opportunity to succeed. (just keep him out of the infield)
    Let the kids play.

Thread Information