+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2012 Justin Maxwell Performance Thread

If we keep Ibanez and cut bait with Maxwell, that would be a terrible mistake.

For one thing, Ibanez is cooked ... no bat speed ... its over.

For another thing, Maxwell is out of options, they said it on YES last night, so he makes the team out of ST or he's gone, another team will pick him up if he's waived, they know this kid can play.

Lastly, we don't need a LHH OF on the bench, all three of our starters hit left-handed, and if you must have a lefty DH (I like Jones as a full-time DH verses lefties and righties), you can always use Chavez in that role, so I would carry Maxwell as our forth OF off the bench.

This kid has been terrific all spring and he deserves to make this team.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Re: 2012 Justin Maxwell Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    If we keep Ibanez and cut bait with Maxwell, that would be a terrible mistake.

For one thing, Ibanez is cooked ... no bat speed ... its over.

For another thing, Maxwell is out of options, they said it on YES last night, so he makes the team out of ST or he's gone, another team will pick him up if he's waived, they know this kid can play.

Lastly, we don't need a LHH OF on the bench, all three of our starters hit left-handed, and if you must have a lefty DH (I like Jones as a full-time DH verses lefties and righties), you can always use Chavez in that role, so I would carry Maxwell as our forth OF off the bench.

This kid has been terrific all spring and he deserves to make this team.
    Chavez had a sub .700 OPS last year, even against RHs, and Jones has shown some pretty bad splits in recent years. I don't think this is a reason to keep Ibanez if he doesn't experience a miraculous resurrection, but I think Jones as a full-time DH might be a stopgap till they can acquire a lefty bat.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

GET SMART

Keep Maxwell

i dont get the recent Maxwell obsession. im not sure what he has to do with Ibanez to boot, since Maxwell is a RHH

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    i dont get the recent Maxwell obsession. im not sure what he has to do with Ibanez to boot, since Maxwell is a RHH
    It isn't that recent. Maxwell has flaws to be sure, notably his low contact rate. But he's 28 years old, theoretically entering him prime and has several years of team control left and the Yanks aren't exactly deep in the OF going forward, nor do they have much in the way of upper level MiLB OF prospect.

Add to that he was a former hot prospect who was OPSing over 900 at Scranton last year when injuries derailed him and twice has stolen more than 30 bags in a minor league season, he's intriuging if only because he offers the hope of potential. Sort of like hoping he can shake the AAAA label.

On the other hand Ibanez is on the wrong side of 40 and offers nothing beyond what he might produce this year.

If Ibanez wasn't having a horrific spring his 20 bombs last year and past history of sucess would be enough to get him an opening day spot.

And if Maxwell could be sent to AAA without risk of losing him, he'd be down there despite the .400+ spring he's having.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

I thought someone posted yesterday that the Nats had applied for and been granted another option that covers this season? I could be wrong on that, and I'm not real crisp on how options work.

EDIT: Found it... but if I'm reading it properly now this was for the '11 season, not the '12 season?

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...=1#post7464581

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I thought someone posted yesterday that the Nats had applied for and been granted another option that covers this season? I could be wrong on that, and I'm not real crisp on how options work.
    He's listed as "out of options" on mlbtraderumors. not that that's the last word on these things, but I've found them to be pretty good with that kind of stuff.

He's also listed as having 5 years of MiLB service on his B-R page.

here is the full list for all teams

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...ions-2012.html
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

I would be very surprised if they released Ibanez. Maxwell's best chance of making the team might be if Swisher's groin injury continues to linger.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

I don't think it's all that recent, and it's probably not an obsession.

Maxwell is a 5 tool talent that was actually discussed about as a trade target I think as far back as '10 given that he was falling out of favor with the Nats. Understandably so, since he has a massive flaw in his game in terms of his tendency to swing and miss, and may never amount to much more than an AAAA guy. But his ability is tantalizing and if he improves his contact skills he could be a valuable player with huge upside.

And most here were displeased with the Ibanez signing, only avoiding defcon 1 levels due to the terms of the deal. He has looked worse than could possibly be imagined, so I think folks are just proposing that Cashman cut the dead weight and keep the guy with the upside even though they'd really fill two different hypothetical needs on this 25 man roster.

Maxwell is a 5 tool talent...

...he has a massive flaw in his game in terms of his tendency to swing and miss
    in other words, he isnt a 5-tool talent

in other words, he isnt a 5-tool talent
    He swings and misses way too frequently, but recently in the mL he has hit for a decent average, very good power, runs well, throws well and defends well. I wasn't going for precision there.

He swings and misses way too frequently, but recently in the mL he has hit for a decent average, very good power, runs well, throws well and defends well. I wasn't going for precision there.
    I thought the tool was defined as being able to make good contact, not necessarily hitting for high average.

Also, from what I've seen, his defense leaves something to be desired. Has seemed kinda lackadaisical out there to me.
    like delv, but better

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    I thought the tool was defined as being able to make good contact, not necessarily hitting for high average.

Also, from what I've seen, his defense leaves something to be desired. Has seemed kinda lackadaisical out there to me.
    I thought the 5 tools were
    Hits for average
    Hits for power
    Feilds well
    Runs well
    Throws well

Maxwell had the potenial to be a 4 tool guy - it is unlikely he will ever hit for average. Potential often flames out though.

At this point though Ibanez looks like he has the potential to be 1 tool guy this season, and that's only if he somehow finds his power stroke.
    Baseball is life;

the 5 tool thing is so antiquated and rooted in the cognitive biases of scouting that it is not that productive to talk about. rather, think of him as an athlete with great power upside, but is a bad hitter. although he did show sign of figuring out the hitting thing.

the biggest thing with maxwell is looking at the amount of practice/learning that really raw athletes often need to apply their physical skills to baseball.
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    the biggest thing with maxwell is looking at the amount of practice/learning that really raw athletes often need to apply their physical skills to baseball.
    seriously. look at Curtis

guys that can just get on the field and crush the ball are literally geniuses. their brains do all the work for them, but unconsciously.

in a tangential thought, apparently Hank Aaron grew up hitting cross-handed (the top and bottom hands switched on the bat).
    like delv, but better

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

GET SMART

Keep Maxwell

well done....well done
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

I can definitely see the Red Sox picking up Maxwell if the Yankees cut him loose, and I can see him emerging as a huge power threat in Boston.

The idea that we might lose this kid for one year of Ibanez, who probably doesn't even stick all year because he looks every bit his age, is really short-sighted and foolish.

JMO

I can definitely see the Red Sox picking up Maxwell if the Yankees cut him loose, and I can see him emerging as a huge power threat in Boston.

The idea that we might lose this kid for one year of Ibanez, who probably doesn't even stick all year because he looks every bit his age, is really short-sighted and foolish.

JMO
    Why would Cash be adamant that Pineda, Nova, Hughes do not have a guaranteed spot, yet promise a spot to a relic like Ibanez? Cash is too smart for dim-witted moves like that. The baseball brainstrust will evaluate the situation in early April and do the right thing. Welcome to New York Justin

Yes, Justin Maxwell clearly has a future as a huge power threat.

actually his raw power is huge
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    actually his raw power is huge
    Humongous

I wish this player was not out of options
    Last edited by Battingly; 03-31-12 at 01:35 AM.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Would someone please explain to me what exactly Justin Maxwell has done in his career to warrant this level of can't miss status?

For one thing, the guy is 28 years old and has been in the minors for six years, as well as parts of three seasons in the majors.

His career major league line is .201/.319/.379 - about the only thing that can be said about that line is that he can take a walk.

His career minor league line is .261/.357/.457 - not exactly can't miss numbers.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Would someone please explain to me what exactly Justin Maxwell has done in his career to warrant this level of can't miss status?
    Nothing.

Oh, and he strikes out a ton.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Nothing.

Oh, and he strikes out a ton.
    Stop being kind - 83K in 260PA isn't a ton - it's a metric tonne.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Thread Information