+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    NYYF Cy Young

Re: Joba.... Dislocated ankle

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I think StingrayJG's point was that a dog isn't an automatic disqualification, but automatically raises questions. A sedentary old basset hound with no history of biting would pass muster, but the questions would still be asked.

A trampoline, OTOH, is an automatic disqualification.
    Not to keep derailing the thread, but yes, basically this in a nutshell.
    Same thing with pools and wood burning stoves. We had to pause the routine process and ask further scrutinizing questions about them and as long as safety and code/installation criteria was met, they'd be permissible. Same general concept with dogs. Just needed more questioning.
    Unlike these other three, trampolines were an instant taboo no-no and would grind the quoting process to a halt. If you did not agree to get rid of it prior to a policy being written, interview over right there. Sorry, can't help you.
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I'd love to see him on the team in September when the rosters expand, but that's probably too optimistic even if he is back on a mound by July. Besides the ankle, his recovery from Tommy John is almost reset now. I'm just glad the injury sounds less severe than initially reported.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    But does the people you deal with have the best doctors and trainers attending to them on a daily basis if need be?
    I get your point, but to get this guy back to a place where he can perform at a major league level is going to be extremely challenging. If he were just a layman, the goal would be to get him to walk again. A little different for a pro athlete. We'll have to see. I feel terrible for the guy. I really like him. I thought he had a great year last year before his arm injury.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    I get your point, but to get this guy back to a place where he can perform at a major league level is going to be extremely challenging. If he were just a layman, the goal would be to get him to walk again. A little different for a pro athlete. We'll have to see. I feel terrible for the guy. I really like him. I thought he had a great year last year before his arm injury.
    One more thing, the resolve of the patient has to be recognized here. Joba was throwing mid-90s with a torn ligament in his elbow last June. Before this latest injury, he was probably going to pitch in ML games this year less than a year after TJS despite having additional stomach surgery this offseason along with battling an infection. The heart and determination of the patient goes a long way towards their recovery and it's something the medical industry can't measure correctly no matter what the odds are in recovering from these type of injuries.

In short, it's much too early to know what's going to happen with him and his recovery until he begins his rehab.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees13 View Post
    I'd love to see him on the team in September when the rosters expand, but that's probably too optimistic even if he is back on a mound by July. Besides the ankle, his recovery from Tommy John is almost reset now. I'm just glad the injury sounds less severe than initially reported.
    Is his TJS recovery really reset, i.e., does he lose the gains he had made by not throwing?

NYYF Legend

I don't think people realize how long a recovery this will be for Joba. My question is.....will he have a permanent limp? If he does, I don!t see how he can continue his career.....I hope I am wrong!

Sterilize our draft picks. No FAs with kids.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    I don't think people realize how long a recovery this will be for Joba. My question is.....will he have a permanent limp? If he does, I don!t see how he can continue his career.....I hope I am wrong!
    According to this article published in the Times when the injury was first reported:

Chamberlain is expected to remain in the hospital for several more days as doctors monitor his foot and check for infection. If all goes well and there is no infection, Chamberlain could be back pitching again at some point this year.

However, if the bone is infected, he may never be able to run again, much less pitch in the majors.

“That is the nightmare scenario for all orthopedic surgeons and patients, an infection in the bone,” said Dr. Craig Levitz, the chief of orthopedic surgery at South Nassau Communities Hospital and a former assistant to Dr. James Andrews, the noted sports orthopedist.

If there is an infection, Levitz said, “it would be unlikely to ever see him running again.”

“Many people make a full recovery from this, but far from all,” Levitz said.

Levitz said the injury that Chamberlain suffered is often grotesque and can be shocking to see. But he said that the bones generally heal quickly and permanently after surgery, as long as there are no complications, and that patients can be running within two months.
    In fact, there have been no complications and no infection, and Chamberlain has been released from the hospital.

Such an unfortunate situation all around; for the team and Joba himself. Obviously, it's more of a concern for Joba himself, going forward with his life.

I hope he can recover to the best of his ability. Baseball may not be in his future , but we shall see how this pans out.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    According to this article published in the Times when the injury was first reported:

In fact, there have been no complications and no infection, and Chamberlain has been released from the hospital.

Probably to early to rule it out completely, but let's hope he's in the clear

He really worked his ass off in rehab from the TJ surgery, and I'm sure he'll do the same for the ankle injury. He had a rep as a slacker, but seems to have realized what's at stake
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    Probably to early to rule it out completely, but let's hope he's in the clear

He really worked his ass off in rehab from the TJ surgery, and I'm sure he'll do the same for the ankle injury. He had a rep as a slacker, but seems to have realized what's at stake
    Agree with both points, although this rehab is going to be more of a test, as he's just not going to be able to do a lot being in a cast for the next 6 weeks, and then a period where he will be building strength and flexiblity back in the ankle.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    he's just not going to be able to do a lot being in a cast for the next 6 weeks
    What are you talking about? It's already been proven that he can take groundballs from his knees at second base.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    What are you talking about? It's already been proven that he can take groundballs from his knees at second base.

If you are talking about Pedroia doing that, I am pretty sure he was fully upright an standing...

....wait he wasn't??
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by slickknick View Post
    Yankees hit Chuckee cheese with a 3 mill + lawsuit.
    I coulda got them 15
    Attention Steinbrenner and front-office morons! Your triumphs mean nothing. You all stink. You can sit on it, and rotate! This is George Costanza. I fear no reprisal. Extension 5-1-7-0.

NYYF Legend

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/03/2...eady-progress/
    • Joba Chamberlain is scheduled to address the media at 5:45. These will be his first public comments since dislocating his ankle last week.

From Jack Curry's twitter:

Joba Chamberlain said he dislocated his ankle while jumping from trampoline to trampoline.

Joba said he thinks he has a great chance to pitch in 2012. Admitted theres a lot that has to happen to reach that goal.

NYYF Legend

I knew it was something like that.

You just don't get a dislocated ankle just jumping up and down in one spot.

NYYF Legend

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

I felt bad for Joba watching him choke up when speaking to the media. I hope he can recover quickly.
    2014 - New Team, New Result

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Joba feels no remorse for what he did. some people just dont get it.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/n...-father-032712

Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    I agree with Joba.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Seems like a guy worth bringing in on a minor league deal, but is there a worse line on an athlete's resume than getting released by the Astros?

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    I agree with Joba.
    Me, too.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    Seems like a guy worth bringing in on a minor league deal, but is there a worse line on an athlete's resume than getting released by the Astros?
    (this might be in the wrong thread..... probably was supposed to be int he Cust thread)
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    Who are you, Rickey Henderson??

Thread Information