+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    NYYF Triple Crown

Re: Joba.... Dislocated ankle

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Dogs? Seriously?

Not just pit bulls and rottweilers, but miniature poodles?
    There were "hit lists" for dogs. Pretty much the breeds you'd expect to be on there were on there. There were always a few on there that would make you scratch your head, but they would keep very detailed records and the breeds that had high incident counts of bite claims made the list and were not allowed whether they had bitten before or not. Even if your particular pit bull is "the friendliest dog in the world" (I'd get that "but..." a lot) too bad, their reputation precedes it with the insurance companies, they would rather not take the chance.

Of course the first thing on the list was always "any dog that's bitten before"
    So, to your question of miniature poodle, if it had any documented bite history in the past and the family still owns it, then yes it would prevent me from offering a policy to that customer on that basis. (And you would be very surprised at how many small little "yappy dog" breeds had bite claims.)

I was in the business from 1988 to 2003 and I'm sure the guidelines have only gotten tighter since then. They will never give ground on this as long as they're still paying claims, just like the trampolines.
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

Yankees got bullpen depth anyway.

Get well soon Joba and stop foolin' around.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

NYYF Triple Crown

Late to the thread but WTH was Joba thinking? Pitchers are not athletic. They need to stay on the ground.

I hope we're not seeing the last of Joba.

NYYF Cy Young

Unfortunately I'm betting this is the last we've seen of Joba on the mound. Very sad. Hope he gets well soon. That's a gruesome injury.

Addicted Member

Maybe not all bad news. Per Yahoo Sports (about an hour ago) Joba told Cashman he could be back on the mound by July.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...es-chamberlain

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman visited Chamberlain in the hospital and said the 26-year-old pitcher told him he could be released from the medical facility this weekend.
    “If he gets out today or tomorrow, that would be extremely positive,”Cashman said.

Chamberlain also told Cashman he could be back on a mound by July. Cashman did not have the results Saturday morning on Chamberlain’s MRI exam and CT scan, which were done on Friday.

“That’s what he told me the doctors are telling him,” Cashman said.“We’ll see. I don’t know. I’m just passing on what he said, and hopefully that’s all accurate. That’s the optimistic side. I don’t think anybody can tell anybody directly right now anything on that.”

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    this has probably killed any momentum of Joba to the rotation.
    The stakes are much bigger than that, actually. It may have killed any momentum of Joba to the mound.

Dogs? Seriously?

Not just pit bulls and rottweilers, but miniature poodles?
    Off topic but miniature poodles actually tend to have really nasty personalities. If you're not their "favorite" they'll nip you in a heartbeat.

Toy poodles are just as bad.
    Offseason, time to try optimism again.

Quote Originally Posted by bronxyanks45 View Post
    this has probably killed any momentum of joba to the rotation.
    jtter

Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman View Post
    Off topic but miniature poodles actually tend to have really nasty personalities. If you're not their "favorite" they'll nip you in a heartbeat.

Toy poodles are just as bad.
    True. I should have picked a better breed for my counter-example.

Let's see, what breed of dog is least likely to bite someone? Basset hound?
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

I've heard that dalmations are surprisingly mean.

Good to hear from Joba. Probably a tad optimistic but I like his attitude.

I think StingrayJG's point was that a dog isn't an automatic disqualification, but automatically raises questions. A sedentary old basset hound with no history of biting would pass muster, but the questions would still be asked.

A trampoline, OTOH, is an automatic disqualification.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I think StingrayJG's point was that a dog isn't an automatic disqualification, but automatically raises questions. A sedentary old basset hound with no history of biting would pass muster, but the questions would still be asked.

How about an old basset hound on a trampoline?

jcarey: Dalmatians aren't mean necessarily, I'd say more "hyper". They overstimulate easily and if poorly trained, yeah you may end up with a biter. They'll try to boss you so don't let them. Very smart and loyal, great dogs if you stay on top of the discipline.

(Sorry for turning this into the dog thread, former dalmatian owner here.)
    Offseason, time to try optimism again.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post

You don't seriously think I don't understand Stingray's point (especially after the more detailed explanation he posted), do you?
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Joba should have just got the kid a Basset Hound to play with

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Remind me never to consult Mrs. Bub on any injury.

The femur is the upper bone of the leg - it runs from the pelvis to the knee. It has absolutely nothing to do with the ankle.

The ankle joint consist of the tibia (the shin bone), the fibula (a relatively small bone that forms the lateral side of the ankle joint and the talus.
    Blame me for the mis-quote - I don't know bones.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sabbathia View Post
    Joba should have just got the kid a Basset Hound to play with
    A dog? Those things have teeth.

This is our future. JohnnyDamonfan's Avatar

July seems like a bit too optimistic to me. Quite frankly I am just hoping that this wasn't career threatening. I am hoping to at least see Joba in Sepetember/ next year.
    Still and will always be a New England Patriots fan.

[quote=THEBOSS84]You may be my favorite poster on the site. So sweet and innocent.[/quote]

Great news about Joba.

Joba Chamberlain is expected to be released from St. Joseph’s Hospital tomorrow, and the fact he’s staying tonight is little more than a precaution, Joe Girardi said.

After an extra-inning win against the Tigers, Girardi announced that MRI and CT scan results showed no microfractures in Chamberlain’s dislocated right ankle, and doctors have enough confidence that he’s avoided infection that they’re willing to release him on Sunday. No more surgeries are planned, and Girardi has been told that Chamberlain will remain in a cast for six weeks.

“Now he’s got to heal,” Girardi said.

There is a real sense of optimism in Yankees camp today, especially compared to yesterday’s focus on the worst-case scenario and the gruesome nature of the injury. Girardi didn’t seem to think it’s unreasonable to think Chamberlain actually could get on a mound by July, but obviously any timetables are premature guesses at this point. There’s still some significantly healing that has to take place.

“We’re not going to rush him because that’s a very important leg,” Girardi said. “That’s your push-off leg. If we (feel) that he’s not pushing off correctly, we’ll back him down. But we’ve got to get to that point first.”

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/03/2...ital-tomorrow/

You guys thought he was out of shape now??? Wait till you see him balloon with this injury.

I can't see him returning to the Yankees until mid- 2014. He might have to heel from this ankle injury first before being given the green light to start throwing again. Because he might screw up his already screwed-up mechanics if he has to worry about how he lands on his repaired ankle. Plus he'll have to go on a serious diet to lose the extra pounds he'll put on

NYYF Cy Young

I deal with a lot of orthopedic injuries in my line of work, which is law and insurance related. From what I know, the ankle is very slow to heal because it does not get a lot of circulation. So I would doubt very much that Joba is coming back this season, and his entire career is still in doubt.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    I deal with a lot of orthopedic injuries in my line of work, which is law and insurance related. From what I know, the ankle is very slow to heal because it does not get a lot of circulation. So I would doubt very much that Joba is coming back this season, and his entire career is still in doubt.
    But does the people you deal with have the best doctors and trainers attending to them on a daily basis if need be?

That was from his twitter. I'm assuming it was from this year. He doesn't look fat. He looks friggin ripped.

^clearly sucking it in (joking)

two sentiments that are surprising in this thread to me: 1) trampolines = deathtraps for mid twenties professional athletes. 2) the concern for the financial well-being of a famous athlete whose already made a few million in his career.

great news today. his yankee career might be over, but his career prospects are sounding a lot better than yesterday. certainly his quality of life prospects, which seemed like they were in doubt yesterday, look much brighter.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by spikeowenfan View Post
    two sentiments that are surprising in this thread to me: 1) trampolines = deathtraps for mid twenties professional athletes.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post

That was from his twitter. I'm assuming it was from this year. He doesn't look fat. He looks friggin ripped.
    "figgin ripped", not sure which definition of the term you are referring to.

Yes he was stupid but the man almost died in front of his 5 year old son. This is not the time for Cashman or the Yankees to announce they are looking into voiding the contract

Contrary to popular belief, for a lot of these guys, baseball is just a well paid job. They do not live and breathe the team, just like many of us don't think/care about work in our down time with our kids.

He got carried away, he is paying a huge price. But this is a freak accident, nothing more

Thread Information