+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Re: Joba.... Dislocated ankle

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Poor judgment and bad luck are not mutually exclusive.

My heart goes out to the guy and I hope he can parlay his semi-celebrity status into some kind of work if he can't get back on the mound. I guess if John Kruk is smart enough to do so, Joba can as well.

But let's face it. There are some ballplayers, like Jeter or Mo to name a couple, whom we know would never be doing something like jumping on a big tramp.
    Well..... Jeter's jumped on a few tramps... I'm sure.

“Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Legend

But let's face it. There are some ballplayers, like Jeter or Mo to name a couple, whom we know would never be doing something like jumping on a big tramp.
    And then there's Alex.....
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Poor judgment and bad luck are not mutually exclusive.

My heart goes out to the guy and I hope he can parlay his semi-celebrity status into some kind of work if he can't get back on the mound. I guess if John Kruk is smart enough to do so, Joba can as well.

I've bet Jeter has done that many time. Mo is too religious.

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    And then there's Alex.....
    Alex never really did anything to put his body in physical harm.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Yankee Stadium: 1923-2008 DiMaggio5CF's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post

Yeah, but he's smart enough to send 'em home with a "thanks for coming" autographed baseball.
    27-Time World Champions

NYYF Legend

Alex never really did anything to put his body in physical harm.
    That's probably debatable.

Besides, I was referring to the tramp reference...

Thanks though..
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees13 View Post
    Yes, the fact that he won't be able to pitch the 6th inning for the Yankees because he jumped on a trampoline is so much more important than the fact that he almost bled to death in front of his 5 year old son.
    Yet, he was the one that placed himself in that type of situation for that to happen which is my point about perspective as he was careless with his own safety while playing with his son.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DiMaggio5CF View Post
    Yeah, but he's smart enough to send 'em home with a "thanks for coming" autographed baseball.
    nice.

this thread is a rollercoast of humor
    like delv, but better

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post

this thread is a rollercoast of humor

Well if you really wanna throw up, go to sosh..
    They are practically lining up over there to volunteer to be the surgeon that amputates..

The man has a serious life altering problem. I would think a little sympathy, or at least empathy and understanding, would be due. But over there, they are celebrating it as a great day..

Disgusting..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

just more evidence that Joba doesn't take his career seriously.

He came into camp overweight, once again.. for the 2nd straight year.. and of course our GM says nothing about it.

and now this...

how can he be so stupid? Its immaturity on his part.

Time to grow up JOBA

My first thought, too.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
    -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    Well if you really wanna throw up, go to sosh..
    They are practically lining up over there to volunteer to be the surgeon that amputates..

The man has a serious life altering problem. I would think a little sympathy, or at least empathy and understanding, would be due. But over there, they are celebrating it as a great day..

Disgusting..

That's SOSH.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryankees View Post
    just more evidence that Joba doesn't take his career seriously.

He came into camp overweight, once again.. for the 2nd straight year.. and of course our GM says nothing about it.

and now this...

how can he be so stupid? Its immaturity on his part.

Time to grow up JOBA

Quote Originally Posted by ZIM 2002 View Post
    I worry about how Joba will handle this mentally - just when he is almost back from Tommy John surgery! It's got to seem just unbearably overwhelming
    "Mentally" doesn't appear to be Joba's strong suit anyway.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Not picking on Joba (particularly now), but I grow a tad tired of hearing about athletes doing this type of stuff. Maybe I'm the only one. "But they should be able to lead normal lives, Lou". Nope. "Normal life" is not getting paid to play a game. They should allow contracts to be voided if contractees recklessly put themselves in danger. They are getting paid millions (*yes, I know: not Joba yet ). They are "the brand". You damage the brand by doing something stupid, the club shouldn't have to pay for it. Not fair to his teammates, either. Put another way, would you, if you got the chance to play for a professional club and get paid huge bucks (*), put yourself into these types of situations (ie, the "looking for trouble" situations)? Not me.

Again: not particularly aimed at Joba, and above all I hope that he is OK. I just needed to vent a bit.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

void his contract and sign damon with the money saved

NYYF Legend

void his contract and sign damon with the money saved
    I'm not sure Damon could reach the plate from the mound.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Not picking on Joba (particularly now), but I grow a tad tired of hearing about athletes doing this type of stuff. Maybe I'm the only one. "But they should be able to lead normal lives, Lou". Nope. "Normal life" is not getting paid to play a game. They should allow contracts to be voided if contractees recklessly put themselves in danger. They are getting paid millions (*yes, I know: not Joba yet ). They are "the brand". You damage the brand by doing something stupid, the club shouldn't have to pay for it. Not fair to his team mates, either. Put another way, would you, if you got the chance to play for a professional club and get paid huge bucks (*), put yourself into these types of situations (ie, the "looking for trouble" situations)? Not me.

Again: not particularly aimed at Joba, and above all I hope that he is OK. I just needed to rant a bit.
    All joking aside. I haven't really figured out how I feel about this...I mean, a trampoline isn't normally considered too dangerous. I can only speculate what REALLY happened? Did the trampoline break? Did he just get too close to the edge? Some sort of crazy dismount with a halftwist??

He was playing with his son...what father doesn't want to do that (especially if the kid asks)?

It wasn't the smartest thing in the world, but he could have been doing much worse like losing his temper and kicking a wall.

It's unfortunate that it happened, a shame that his son had to see it.

Hopefully he recovers.
    Last edited by CalYankeeFan; 03-24-12 at 12:30 AM.

the fact of the matter is joba had 30 innings of brilliance 6 years ago and everyone annointed him a saint...he has done nothing since..we should stop acting like we owe the guy something.... he'll go down as a flash in the pan.

aceves did more for the yankees and we treated him horribly..

i hate the double standard.

Yankee Stadium: 1923-2008 DiMaggio5CF's Avatar

All joking aside. I haven't really figured out how I feel about this...I mean, a trampoline isn't normally considered too dangerous.
    I thought trampolines were known to be quite dangerous.
    27-Time World Champions

NYYF Legend

I thought trampolines were known to be quite dangerous.
    Ok, to clarify. They are like anything else....they are about as safe as the person using it.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Ok, to clarify. They are like anything else....they are about as safe as the person using it.

Not quite true. A chair is safe (for example). The amount of accidents caused by falling out of a chair (say) is small; the amount of trampoline injuries much higher.

If he was an average putz like the rest of us, not a huge deal; an athlete just can not afford to be doing this type of stuff. With everything comes tradeoffs. You want to have a (good) chance to be paid ludicrous amounts of money for playing a game, then there are other games you just can not risk.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF MVP

the fact of the matter is joba had 30 innings of brilliance 6 years ago and everyone annointed him a saint...he has done nothing since..we should stop acting like we owe the guy something.... he'll go down as a flash in the pan.

aceves did more for the yankees and we treated him horribly..

i hate the double standard.
    Considering the way he jerked around from the pen to the rotation and whatnot, I thought he was pretty solid as a starter for a young guy who was rushed through the minors.

Sadly we'll never know what might have been.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Not quite true. A chair is safe (for example). The amount of accidents caused by falling out of a chair (say) is small; the amount of trampoline injuries much higher.
    I get what you guys are saying...I know it wasn't a good idea to take the risk, but my real feeling on this probably won't be clear until the whole story comes out.

Using the chair example, what injuries caused by falling out/off of a chair are a result of doing something stupid? (Handstand, using it as a ladder, etc). Using it as intended, or with the proper training, the risk of injury is low.

If he was on a trampoline and simply bouncing around with his kid the risk of injury is relatively low. If he was trying to do some sort of circus act it's a different story. Given the seriousness of the injury, I fear it may have been the latter.
    Last edited by CalYankeeFan; 03-24-12 at 12:32 AM.

Thread Information