+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: Joba.... Dislocated ankle

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    I think even you are not going to be able to blame this one on the Yankees.

I feel very sorry for Joba. Not quite as sad as Brien Taylor, but similar themes.

I hope he can get another chance to make some money from his gift.
    blame the son, its all his fault

NYYF Legend

Joba Chamberlain lost so much blood Thursday when he hurt his ankle while playing with his son that there initially was concern for his life, a Yankees' source said

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz1py8fWeXl

mike francesa show they just said its possibly career threatening
    RIP MR. STEINBRENNER

NYYF Cy Young

I worry about how Joba will handle this mentally - just when he is almost back from Tommy John surgery! It's got to seem just unbearably overwhelming

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ZIM 2002 View Post
    I worry about how Joba will handle this mentally - just when he is almost back from Tommy John surgery! It's got to seem just unbearably overwhelming
    First thought that popped into my head, too
    Damn....

My god. he was doing so well last season until the TJS. He can't catch a freakin' break

NYYF Cy Young

Oh man, that is awful. Open dislocation sounds gross.
    The Bob Loblaw Law Blog

this is crazy. its like having TJS back to back

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by SassySelective1 View Post
    Daily news article said he lost so much blood it could have been life threatening

Also quotes a DR in that field saying it is a very dangerous injury which has resulted in amputation of the leg due to the open wound and breaking the skin envelope.

All in all, if he comes out of this able to walk, I would consider this a plus. Really don't think he will ever pitch again, and almost certainly not for us,

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1049622
    Oh man, what a shame... Imagine losing your whole career that you love over a freak accident... I feel so bad for him.
    The Bob Loblaw Law Blog

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    this is crazy. its like having TJS back to back

It's worse.

Kendry Morales has a less severe injury and it never broke the skin.. And he missed just about 2 full seasons..

I hate to say it, but at this stage, if the man even can walk normally again, it would be a bonus.
    Pitching? I think he's thrown his last..

Awful..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by SassySelective1 View Post
    Daily news article said he lost so much blood it could have been life threatening

Also quotes a DR in that field saying it is a very dangerous injury which has resulted in amputation of the leg due to the open wound and breaking the skin envelope.

All in all, if he comes out of this able to walk, I would consider this a plus. Really don't think he will ever pitch again, and almost certainly not for us,

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1049622
    I just heard that...

Just today my wife was saying she wanted to get rid of the swingset and get a trampoline. I didn't want to, because I don't think they are safe.

Then this came to light.

Case closed.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Released Outright

Shocking and horrible news.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    It's worse.

Kendry Morales has a less severe injury and it never broke the skin.. And he missed just about 2 full seasons..

I hate to say it, but at this stage, if the man even can walk normally again, it would be a bonus.
    Pitching? I think he's thrown his last..

Awful..
    Horrible injury, particularly for a pitcher. I, too, think he's done as a pitcher. Makes me so sad
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

This is one of those times where I just have to shake my head and sigh at the poor judgement displayed. I feel bad for Joba, but I'm equally dismayed at how stupid you have to be to have something like this happen. A little common sense please

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sabbathia View Post
    This is one of those times where I just have to shake my head and sigh at the poor judgement displayed. I feel bad for Joba, but I'm equally dismayed at how stupid you have to be to have something like this happen. A little common sense please
    He was playing with his kid. Gain some perspective please.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees13 View Post
    And playing with a 5 yr old child requires jumping around on a trampoline?

I think you're the one that needs some perspective.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sabbathia View Post
    And playing with a 5 yr old child requires jumping around on a trampoline?
    Most sports contracts have a long list of activities you can't do. Think of all the players who have been injuried playing a pick-up game of basketball.

In Lyle's book he said that there were like 3 things he COULD do . . .

Right - but he still should choose activities that are less likely for him to get hurt - and maybe just watch in this case . .

Yankee Stadium: 1923-2008 DiMaggio5CF's Avatar

Hopefully Joba can get healthy, which is the first goal before anything sports-related. It does seem like it's a strong possibility that he never throws another pitch in the big leagues, but this sounds like it's going to be a long process and it's way too early to try to figure out his ballplaying future.

Joba seems like a smart enough and likeable enough guy to be able to get a job as an analyst for ESPN or MLB Network or even YES even if he can't play ball anymore. That may be small consolation to someone who may be finding out that their dream is over, but...

According to his Baseball-Reference page, he's already made over $2.7 million in his career and is scheduled to make another $1.675 million this year. Hopefully he saved and/or invested his money wisely enough to get through this. At least if this had to happen, it happened after he made a few milliion in his career.

As for whether or not this is Joba's fault, this is a freak accident. Would it be advisable for a pro athlete who has millions of dollars riding on his body to maybe avoid the trampoline and take the kid to the park or maybe toss the ball around (where I would hope you're not going full-speed against a five-year-old)? That's a personal decision. Joba made his, and now he's dealing with what happened, but I don't think it's our place to tell him whether he was right or wrong. Of course, nobody's saying you have to feel sorry for the guy either.

I know this isn't really relevant at this point, but it's something that I'm curious about because I don't have kids... but is it common at these types of places to let adults on the equipment with the kids? I would think that something like that built for kids probably would be too small and unable to properly support an adult, which I would think might increase the risk of injury.
    27-Time World Champions

Addicted Member

I hope his son is alright. Seeing his father go through that, and if the significant blood loss reports are correct, it had to be traumatic for a young child like that. No matter how dumb you may think Joba's actions were you have to keep in mind that child who saw the whole thing.

NYYF Legend

Without being able to run, this guy is going to get very, very large.

NYYF Legend

Deadspin says it was at Rebounderz - I've been there before. It's basically a giant trampoline the size of a building.

There's No Shortage Of Stupid TJ's Avatar

Someone was needed to replace Carl Pavano.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I think you're the one that needs some perspective.
    Yes, the fact that he won't be able to pitch the 6th inning for the Yankees because he jumped on a trampoline is so much more important than the fact that he almost bled to death in front of his 5 year old son.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

Poor judgment and bad luck are not mutually exclusive.

My heart goes out to the guy and I hope he can parlay his semi-celebrity status into some kind of work if he can't get back on the mound. I guess if John Kruk is smart enough to do so, Joba can as well.

But let's face it. There are some ballplayers, like Jeter or Mo to name a couple, whom we know would never be doing something like jumping on a big tramp.

Thread Information