+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13

Re: Joba.... Dislocated ankle

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I just don't think all good decisions and bad decisions are of equal weight. In fact, I'm going to guess that, statistically, DUI is more likely to hurt your baseball career (in a physical sense) than jumping on a trampoline.
    like I said, I agree with the first part of this post. They aren't equal. That doesn't mean either is a smart or responsible thing to do. Do you think either was a good idea? You can answer that without judging Joba. As for statistical differences, I can't speak to that, but I assume (unfortunately) that more players drive drunk than jump around on trampolines and this is the first injury to an active player caused by either that I can remember. Again though, The DUI is obviously more stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Axon View Post
    Right, and that's what I'm saying here. People actually believe that a DUI is somehow equivalent to jumping on a trampoline? One is a horrific life decision that could lead directly to your death or the death of others. The other is sorta like running down a hill for a wheel of cheese. Not the brightest move in the world but certainly not nearly as potentially devastating.
    What possible reason is there to assume this is the case?

"not the brightest move in the world" is something I completely agree with and is really my point. He didn't get unlucky he did something dumb and completely avoidable.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BennyTheJetRodriguez View Post
    What possible reason is there to assume this is the case?

"not the brightest move in the world" is something I completely agree with and is really my point. He didn't get unlucky he did something dumb and completely avoidable.
    I'm with Axon on this -- I think it does fall into the "not the brightest move in the world" category. I do think he got unlucky though -- a sprained ankle or something like that would be an unlikely but not unexpected outcome from a trampoline -- a dislocated ankle is a bit of a bad break.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

I'm with Axon on this -- I think it does fall into the "not the brightest move in the world" category. I do think he got unlucky though -- a sprained ankle or something like that would be an unlikely but not unexpected outcome from a trampoline -- a dislocated ankle is a bit of a bad break.
    (I'm gonna chime in here)

This all really depends on the.... I don't know the right word... 'magnitude'(?) of the jumping.
    If he was just bouncing up and down - very unlucky.
    But if he was playing Flying Lenape doing the triple lindie from some un-Godly angled trampoline, probably not as unlucky.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post

This all really depends on the.... I don't know the right word... 'magnitude'(?) of the jumping.
    But if he was playing Flying Lenape doing the triple lindie from some un-Godly angled trampoline, probably not as unlucky.
    Fair point, even if I have no idea what that all means
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

regarding the bold, me too.

To me, luck is something unavoidable. Lou Gehrig was unlucky, Rocco Baldeli was unlucky, Jim Abbott was unlucky. Joba's injury, though unfortunate, was avoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post

Very fair point, but isn't it also fair to say that this type of injury is extremely unlikely without jumping?

Quote Originally Posted by BennyTheJetRodriguez View Post
    Very fair point, but isn't it also fair to say that this type of injury is extremely unlikely without jumping?
    Correct.

Just less likely if you're jumping up and down on a trampoline.... like I'm sure the 5 year olds were.
    Playing daredevil makes the injury more likely.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by DiMaggio5CF View Post
    What kind of cheese?
    My guess would be a Double Gloucester cheese. Do some searching on "Gloucestershire cheese rolling" if you're interested.

Thread Information