+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Re: Joba.... Dislocated ankle

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Clearly it wasn't smart, but I think that defining it as incredibly risky is relying too much on the outcome and not nearly enough on the risk.

When I first read "jumping from one trampoline to the other" I was miffed too. I pictured two backyard trampolines and him sailing over several feet from one to the other. Then I recalled the places I've taken my kids and went out to the Rebounderz site to take a look.

If he's jumping up on the angled trampolines, that's probably stupid. But if he's just jumping from one trampoline to the other without trying and X-games type stunts, does this strike you as "incredibly risky"?
    I too, had different imagery of the scenario.
    If this is the setup, trampoline hopping laterally would be considered safe - save him not trying to do a Triple Lindie to the next trampoline.
    Those angeled trampolines though, could be considered risky.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Are they though? I'm wondering how many injuries come from piggy back rides or other goofy stuff you do with your kids where a) it doesn't get reported as the source of injury due to the optics or b) the players tweaks something and doesn't even know that the piggy back ride a few days prior might have been the source of the problem.

You're a good poster. Why do you always defy people to put you on ignore?
    I didn't tell him to place me on ignore, I told him to ignore me if he can't see the differences between trampolines and piggy back rides as I don't see the need to continue this discussion. I'm done, I made my point, others don't agree with it which is fine and dandy, but I have nothing else to say on the matter. Sometimes, people just disagree.

NYYF Cy Young

The trampoline room in that pic looks like a blast, I'd be all over that.

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    The trampoline room in that pic looks like a blast, I'd be all over that.
    Do you have a job? Kids? Are you looking forward to living without the aid of a wheelchair?

I'm on my motorcycle doing 110 mph trying to get there as quick as I can, while texting my reply in this thread. I'm jumping around without a helmet to be a real rebel.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

I dunno about anyone else, but I blame Arod for this entire debacle.

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Do you have a job? Kids? Are you looking forward to living without the aid of a wheelchair?
    Not sure if serious.

Hmmm... not sure if anyone knows or knows how to find out if trampolines are identified as issues in standard MLB contracts.

Paging JL25and3... you always seem to know how to dig this stuff up. My limited google skills haven't turned anything up.

For what it's worth, I did see this which is probably highly relevant to the prior conversation around risks associated with father/child day to day activities...

Girardi himself said that he once missed three weeks as a player because he was flipping his daughter and caused back spasms.

“Fathers are fathers,” Girardi said.
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/03/2...s-are-fathers/

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    I might start a petition to get one of those installed at my works daycare! The kids would love me.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    It's working as some around here think you can't be a father without placing your body in harms way.
    Seriously? He jumped off a trampoline, not out of an airplane.
    Auction League: Bitches Brew - 2006, 2007, 2008 Champs
    NYYFans.com League: Bad Apples - 2008 Champs

Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Are they though? I'm wondering how many injuries come from piggy back rides or other goofy stuff you do with your kids where a) it doesn't get reported as the source of injury due to the optics or b) the players tweaks something and doesn't even know that the piggy back ride a few days prior might have been the source of the problem.

You're a good poster. Why do you always defy people to put you on ignore?
    I actually had to figure out how to do it...I'd never ignored someone before.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    It is not like the man got on a motorcycle and tried an evil knievel leap across the grand canyon.
    having recently visited the grand canyon and being witness to its incomprehensible immensity, i found this line especially hilarious

Not sure if serious.
    he wasn't
    like delv, but better

Hmmm... not sure if anyone knows or knows how to find out if trampolines are identified as issues in standard MLB contracts.

Paging JL25and3... you always seem to know how to dig this stuff up. My limited google skills haven't turned anything up.

For what it's worth, I did see this which is probably highly relevant to the prior conversation around risks associated with father/child day to day activities...

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/03/2...s-are-fathers/
    It helps to have downloaded the old CBA onto my computer. Here's what the Uniform Player Contract says:

The Player and the Club recognize and agree that the Player's partiipation in certain other sports may impair or destroy his ability and skill as a baseball player. Accordingly, the Player agrees that he will not engage in professional boxing or wrestling; and that, except with the written consent of the Club, he will not engage in skiing, auto racing, motorcycle racing, sky diving, or any game or exhibition of football, soccer, professional league basketball, ice hockey, or other sport involving a substabtial risk of personal injury.
    That's only the uniform contract; individual contracts can have other clauses. Apparently Aaron Boone - like others, I suspect - was prohibited from non-professional basketball as well. If I were a club, I would insist on no motorcycles, period.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    It helps to have downloaded the old CBA onto my computer. Here's what the Uniform Player Contract says:

That's only the uniform contract; individual contracts can have other clauses. Apparently Aaron Boone - like others, I suspect - was prohibited from non-professional basketball as well. If I were a club, I would insist on no motorcycles, period.
    JL25and3 comes through as usual. Thanks.

Given that trampolines are not called out as Evil Ankle Destruction Machines and prohibited, and the pictures showing the layout of that particular establishment, unless "jumping from trampoline to trampoline" involved some X-games style acrobatics, IMHO this was an unwise and unfortunate choice for Joba but certainly not reckless or anything along those lines.

Face it folks. Statistically, Joba driving to the trampoline place had a higher probability of injury than playing with his son after he got there.

He took no unaccepatble risks, but got hurt anyway. Life happens. There's no blame to be cast here.

Let's just hope Joba has a full and speedy recovery, and stop trying to blame him for being irresponsible. I think it's pretty clear that he did nothing that ought to have fans pointing a finger at him.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Face it folks. Statistically, Joba driving to the trampoline place had a higher probability of injury than playing with his son after he got there.

He took no unaccepatble risks, but got hurt anyway. Life happens. There's no blame to be cast here.

Let's just hope Joba has a full and speedy recovery, and stop trying to blame him for being irresponsible. I think it's pretty clear that he did nothing that ought to have fans pointing a finger at him.
    We don't know that for sure.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

You said what I was trying to in a far more concise way..
    Thank you..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Cy Young

My lord, I am loving the amount of judgmental douchery going on in this thread.
    Attention Steinbrenner and front-office morons! Your triumphs mean nothing. You all stink. You can sit on it, and rotate! This is George Costanza. I fear no reprisal. Extension 5-1-7-0.

Quote Originally Posted by Axon View Post
    My lord, I am loving the amount of judgmental douchery going on in this thread.
    Hahaha. Tell me you did not expect fireworks in here though. I think it's rather tame to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Hahaha. Tell me you did not expect fireworks in here though. I think it's rather tame to be honest.
    My feelings on it are if he wasn't contractually prohibited from jumping on a trampoline then there really isn't much to discuss. Things happen. Did Joba use the best judgement? That's not my call to make.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Excellent post. Unless you want to mummify players when they're not on the field you can't avoid stuff like this. Robertson sprained his ankle going down a flight of stairs. I bet if he was the one who had suffered the serious injury people would be saying he should have built ramps in his house to avoid that possibility. There's nothing you can do in life that carries absolutely zero risk of injury.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Well, as a lightening rod for controversy, Joba is second only to A-Rod, so it's not surprising. Anyone else besides those two and it would just be people wishing for a speedy recovery.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees13 View Post
    Well, as a lightening rod for controversy, Joba is second only to A-Rod, so it's not surprising. Anyone else besides those two and it would just be people wishing for a speedy recovery.
    Oh they would definitely not accept such an injury from Pineda.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees13 View Post
    Excellent post. Unless you want to mummify players when they're not on the field you can't avoid stuff like this. Robertson sprained his ankle going down a flight of stairs. I bet if he was the one who had suffered the serious injury people would be saying he should have built ramps in his house to avoid that possibility. There's nothing you can do in life that carries absolutely zero risk of injury.
    I guess the difference is that Robertson did not have to sign a waiver to kick boxes down the stairs. It was a fluke accident, but Chamberlain knew there were risks (hence the waiver) and instead of sitting on the sidelines, chose to particpate.

Someone mentioned this earlier in the thead, but I find it interesting that a bigger deal wasn't made of Chamberlain's insistence that the bone did not break the skin when it obviously did. Why the denial/ discrepency?

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Principessa21 View Post
    I guess the difference is that Robertson did not have to sign a waiver to kick boxes down the stairs. It was a fluke accident, but Chamberlain knew there were risks (hence the waiver) and instead of sitting on the sidelines, chose to particpate.

Someone mentioned this earlier in the thead, but I find it interesting that a bigger deal wasn't made of Chamberlain's insistence that the bone did not break the skin when it obviously did. Why the denial/ discrepency?
    I believe it is semantics -

From what I have read, there were no actual fractures - the ankle joint dislocated and, in dislocating, the skin ripped. Stretch the skin far enough and it will split, regardless of whether or not a bone protruded through the skin.

Normally, in an open fracture, a long bone fractures and one end of the bone comes through the skin - this case does not appear to be the case for Joba's injury.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Thread Information