+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 45 of 45
  1. #26
    Devoted Member
    GravyMaster3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: Happy St. Patrick's Day

    Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    Now it's time for a run to shake out the cob webs.
    Wow, just did that myself. Not the best run in the world after partying yesterday but I'm glad I did it.

  2. #27

    Re: Happy St. Patrick's Day

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    And it seems to go on forever. My little town had its parade last Sunday. There's going to be one in Yonkers next weekend. Apparently the entire month of March is now St. Patrick's Day.

    Also, green bagels are a shonda.
    I'll do my part to buck the trend. Happy St.Joseph's Day!!!

    (and I think it's also Mother's Day in the UK today, too. So Happy Mother's Day to all our UK NYYFan mums)
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  3. #28

    Re: Happy St. Patrick's Day

    Good, I'm not the only grump.

    I think working in bars for many years soured me on St. Patrick's day, aka drunken firemen and cops day.

  4. #29

    Re: Happy St. Patrick's Day

    Quote Originally Posted by xenadanielle View Post
    Good, I'm not the only grump.

    I think working in bars for many years soured me on St. Patrick's day, aka drunken firemen and cops day.
    The green nonsense doesn't bother me but using St. Patrick's Day as an excuse to to have a National "let's get *sht faced because it's St. Patrick's Day" is a disgrace.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  5. #30

    Re: Happy St. Patrick's Day

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    And it seems to go on forever. My little town had its parade last Sunday. There's going to be one in Yonkers next weekend. Apparently the entire month of March is now St. Patrick's Day.

    Also, green bagels are a shonda.
    Ha ha ha!

    Your comment got me thinking--I wonder if those big corned beef briskets come in Kosher. I guess they might. One year my dad or uncle bought a corned beef brisket by accident when he was in charge of the Passover shopping. It was amusing, but we ate it. But I'm not a big fan of corned beef unless it's on a sandwich.

  6. #31
    NYYF Legend

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Itu, São Paulo, Brazil

    Re: Happy St. Patrick's Day

    A friend posted this on FB yesterday. Slowhand plays the Irish Classic. It gave this Son of Erin (and huge Clapton fan) goosebumps...

    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  7. #32
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

    Re: Happy St. Patrick's Day

    Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    Thanks for rubbing salt in the wound. You know how much I wanted to run that but didn't get in the lottery. There's always next year though.....and I prob won't get in again.
    Vicki ... as soon as I heard about this, who do you think I thought of first? You go and register, then run those 13+ miles.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

  8. #33
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

    Re: Happy St. Patrick's Day

    Quote Originally Posted by xenadanielle View Post
    Good, I'm not the only grump.

    I think working in bars for many years soured me on St. Patrick's day, aka drunken firemen and cops day.
    I sincerely hope that the FDNY members weren't getting sh*t-faced, since I think that their 343 lost members from 9/11 were being honored.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

  9. #34
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

    Re: Happy St. Patrick's Day

    Quote Originally Posted by xenadanielle View Post
    Ha ha ha!

    Your comment got me thinking--I wonder if those big corned beef briskets come in Kosher. I guess they might. One year my dad or uncle bought a corned beef brisket by accident when he was in charge of the Passover shopping. It was amusing, but we ate it. But I'm not a big fan of corned beef unless it's on a sandwich.
    Those corned beef briskets should likely be in Kosher supermarkets. However, they'd likely not be as popular as they are in non-Kosher supermarkets.

    Most Kosher meat places will rave about their pastrami. However, I've seen Ben's Kosher @38th & 8th advertise about their corned beef on St Patrick's Day.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

  10. #35
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

    Re: Happy St. Patrick's Day

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    The green nonsense doesn't bother me but using St. Patrick's Day as an excuse to to have a National "let's get *sht faced because it's St. Patrick's Day" is a disgrace.
    St Patrick is the patron saint of all Ireland. That's what makes it disgusting.

    In the '80s, guys would routinely hide beer in brown paper bags or even buy soda bottles, pour out the soda, pour in beer. This despite the high likeliness that cops would make them pour their beer out onto the sidewalk once caught.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

  11. #36
    NYYF Legend

    4bronxbombers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

    Re: Happy St. Patrick's Day

    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    Vicki ... as soon as I heard about this, who do you think I thought of first? You go and register, then run those 13+ miles.
    Well we run 6 miles a day so we figure we ran 6 today and tomorrow we'll run 6 so there's my 1/2 marathon.....not in nyc and short a mile or so but there it is.

    We rescued 2 hurt Robins this morning too - an ordeal that took about 20 min. One person directed traffic so cars would not run them over (they were in the road), one person carried one to the side and I carried the other one. Our good running deed today. See, if I was running the nyc half, those birds would prob be dead.

  12. #37
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

    Re: Happy St. Patrick's Day

    Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    Well we run 6 miles a day so we figure we ran 6 today and tomorrow we'll run 6 so there's my 1/2 marathon.....not in nyc and short a mile or so but there it is.

    We rescued 2 hurt Robins this morning too - an ordeal that took about 20 min. One person directed traffic so cars would not run them over (they were in the road), one person carried one to the side and I carried the other one. Our good running deed today. See, if I was running the nyc half, those birds would prob be dead.
    Coolness. I thought you had me on ignore or sumtin'.

    You did your good deed of the day. 12 miles in 2 days? I'm sure that I could do that on a bicycle ... or a bus.

    I'm glad you were able to help those 2 birdies. However, next year, you owe me a half-marathon. Got a move on, girl!!!
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

  13. #38
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Happy St. Patrick's Day

    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    A friend posted this on FB yesterday. Slowhand plays the Irish Classic. It gave this Son of Erin (and huge Clapton fan) goosebumps...

    Without lyrics, of course, that's not "Danny Boy," it's "Londonderry Air."

    IMHO, Clapton made some of the most searing, gut-wrenching blues-rock music ever when he was a heroin addict in love with his best friend's wife. Getting clean, sober and happy has been a great thing for his life, but not so much for his art.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  14. #39
    NYYF Legend

    4bronxbombers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

    Re: Happy St. Patrick's Day

    Quote Originally Posted by GravyMaster3 View Post
    Wow, just did that myself. Not the best run in the world after partying yesterday but I'm glad I did it.
    Same.

  15. #40
    NYYF Legend

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Itu, São Paulo, Brazil

    Re: Happy St. Patrick's Day

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Without lyrics, of course, that's not "Danny Boy," it's "Londonderry Air."
    There is no "Of course" about it. The melody is far older than that name, and no Irishman of the non-Orange variety would baptize that air with the word 'London' in it.

    "Air from County Derry" is the preferred, and older, title. I would go into greater depth but for community standards.

    And yes, I know the 'Danny Boy' lyrics were written by an Englishman.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  16. #41
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Happy St. Patrick's Day

    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    There is no "Of course" about it. The melody is far older than that name, and no Irishman of the non-Orange variety would baptize that air with the word 'London' in it.

    "Air from County Derry" is the preferred, and older, title. I would go into greater depth but for community standards.

    And yes, I know the 'Danny Boy' lyrics were written by an Englishman.
    I will stand partly corrected. We agree that it's not "Danny Boy" without the lyrics. While I grant that "Air from County Derry" is the preferred Nationalist title, it's not clear that it's older.

    The first appearance of the tune in print occurred in 1855, in Ancient Music of Ireland, published by the early collector George Petrie (1789-1866). The untitled melody, was supplied to Petrie by Miss Jane Ross of Limavady, County Londonderry, who claimed to have taken it down from the playing of an itinerant piper. This is the origin of the Londonderry Air name. Petrie states:
    • Name unknown
      For the following beautiful air I have to express my very grateful acknowledgement to Miss J. Ross, of N.-T.-Limavady, in the county of Londonderry—a lady who has made a large collection of the popular unpublished melodies of that county, which she has very kindly placed at my disposal, and which has added very considerably to the stock of tunes which I had previously acquired from that still very Irish county. I say still very Irish; for though it has been planted for more than two centuries by English and Scottish settlers, the old Irish race still forms the great majority of its peasant inhabitants; and there are few, if any, counties in which, with less foreign admixture, the ancient melodies of the country have been so extensively preserved. The name of the tune unfortunately was not ascertained by Miss Ross, who sent it to me with the simple remark that it was "very old," in the correctness of which statement I have no hesitation in expressing my perfect concurrence.
    As the tune grew in popularity, and at the same time traditional Irish music came to be more thoroughly researched, considerable doubt emerged about Miss Ross's story. No additional versions of the melody were encountered by other collectors. The structure of the tune is unlike any other traditional Irish tune, and it is not suited for words in any of the known Irish song meters. Miss Ross was unable to provide any supporting evidence (the name of the piper, for example), and the suspicion grew that she had composed it herself and was attempting to pass it off as a genuine Irish tune (although by doing so she would be missing out on considerable royalty payments!). She continued to maintain the truth of her original account.
    http://www.standingstones.com/dannyboy.html

    At the same time, in deference to your pure green Irish Catholic Nationalist roots, this Eastern European Jew will forever after refer to it as "Air from County Derry." I will further acknowledge the shame of having attempted such a presumptuous correction.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  17. #42

    Re: Happy St. Patrick's Day

    Well, call it what you will but it's a great tune (and lyric) when it is performed with passion, conviction and understanding.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  18. #43
    NYYF Legend

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Itu, São Paulo, Brazil

    Re: Happy St. Patrick's Day

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I will stand partly corrected. We agree that it's not "Danny Boy" without the lyrics. While I grant that "Air from County Derry" is the preferred Nationalist title, it's not clear that it's older.



    http://www.standingstones.com/dannyboy.html

    At the same time, in deference to your pure green Irish Catholic Nationalist roots, this Eastern European Jew will forever after refer to it as "Air from County Derry." I will further acknowledge the shame of having attempted such a presumptuous correction.
    Your magnanimous concession is appreciated. In this you join the Royal Family; the official program of the funeral for Princess Diana called it: "Air from County Derry".

    While Petrie's book may be the origin of the name, it did not call it 'Londonderry Air'--as far as I can tell--nor is there any evidence of widespread usage of that name prior to the 1930's.(same source). Petrie calls it "Name Unknown".
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  19. #44

    Re: Happy St. Patrick's Day



    (Irish enough? we need a little treason)
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  20. #45
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Happy St. Patrick's Day

    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    While Petrie's book may be the origin of the name, it did not call it 'Londonderry Air'--as far as I can tell--nor is there any evidence of widespread usage of that name prior to the 1930's.(same source). Petrie calls it "Name Unknown".
    Agreed. Petrie, a Dubliner, accepted the tune from a Londonderry woman but did not name it after her Royalist city. Since its name and provenance are unknown, I will accept County Derry as preferable, and certainly more truly Irish.

    Bagels I know about. When it comes to internecine Irish squabbles, I defer to you.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts