+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Raul Ibanez batting .083 this spring. Damon is still available, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Damon just swung and missed at a golf ball.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by StaleMilk View Post
    +40% luxury tax. The money could be better spent in the draft. It wasn't worth it. He's a negative defensively, 40, and marginal bat offensively.

Guaranteed he'll make it out of ST because of his contract and his contract only.
    If you want to count the luxury tax, it's $1.5 M. Big deal. That's not a contract that would guarantee him a roster spot.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by StaleMilk View Post
    It would have been nice giving a shot to Justin Maxwell. It's never a smart idea to give a guaranteed contract to a 40 year old declining DH.
    I agree with those who say that Ibanez does not have a secure spot on the team. If he shows no signs of life before the decision day on Maxwell, especially if the Yankees have no deal in place to get value for the latter, I could imagine the Yankees giving Ibanez the choice of being released or continuing to work on his timing in minor league games.

Maxwell's play, I think and hope, may force the team to make a decision on Ibanez earlier than they otherwise would.

Maxwell bats right and thus is not an ideal player for the slot. But I can see the Yankees starting the season with an athletic and versatile bench and deferring the DH decision until they understand better what they have and might need.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    If you want to count the luxury tax, it's $1.5 M. Big deal. That's not a contract that would guarantee him a roster spot.
    And I hate that way of calculating a player's luxury tax burden anyway. Really Ibanez is costing the Yankees something like $60,000 toward the tax.
    Rocking that "arrogant Yankee fan" attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman View Post
    And I hate that way of calculating a player's luxury tax burden anyway. Really Ibanez is costing the Yankees something like $60,000 toward the tax.
    Yeah, and you'd also have to figure in replacement cost.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

maxwell's power potential can't be ignored.
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Yeah, and you'd also have to figure in replacement cost.
    True but as long as the replacement is a fellow cheapie you're not getting anywhere near the $400K-ish figure that is customarily quoted. The only way you're even going to get halfway there is if Ibanez hits most/all of his performance bonuses.
    Rocking that "arrogant Yankee fan" attitude.

That's the number I come up with, also.

B-R estimates the Yankee payroll at 205.8M, which is a reasonable estimate. The luxury tax cutoff is 178M, which means that 27.8M - about 13.5% of total payroll - is subject to a 40% luxury tax.

13.5% of Ibanez's $1.1M is $148,500. 40% of that is $59,400.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    maxwell's power potential can't be ignored.
    Yeah, but neither can his K rates.

I remember several years ago there were a few around here - I think SnatchCatch was one of the most vocal - that were proposing acquiring him from the Nationals. His talent is so tantalizing. My fear is that he's just an elite AAAA guy. But if the opportunity cost of keeping him is giving up the Shell of Raul Ibanez, I'd rather roll the dice on Maxwell.

Incidentally, last spring his stance/swing were IDENTICAL to A-Rod's. I still see some similarities, but looks like he's changed his approach somewhat.

I remember several years ago there were a few around here - I think SnatchCatch was one of the most vocal - that were proposing acquiring him from the Nationals. His talent is so tantalizing. My fear is that he's just an elite AAAA guy. But if the opportunity cost of keeping him is giving up the Shell of Raul Ibanez, I'd rather roll the dice on Maxwell.

Incidentally, last spring his stance/swing were IDENTICAL to A-Rod's. I still see some similarities, but looks like he's changed his approach somewhat.
    yea, as i see it, there is quite a bit of upside in maxwell, but none in ibanez
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Nelson Cruz had that look for a long while too. Given that Ibanez looks like toast and like 75 years old I'd have no problem cutting him losse. Liked the low risk signing of Ibanez but given that contract structure, looks like the Yanks priced in total collapse with a quick hook.

Does anyone know if Damon is available?!?!?!
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Anyone remember the poster Steinbrenner, aka The Bret Boone Guy? I think he's back with a new "cause."

that would be me actually

anyway i agree w the op: IBANEZ is CRAP. sign Damon asap
    RIP MR. STEINBRENNER

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Nelson Cruz had that look for a long while too. Given that Ibanez looks like toast and like 75 years old I'd have no problem cutting him losse. Liked the low risk signing of Ibanez but given that contract structure, looks like the Yanks priced in total collapse with a quick hook.
    I hear what you're saying, but Maxwell's swing and miss tendencies are really at a different level. In Maxwell's age 25 season in AAA, he struck out 136 times in 384 AB. In Cruz' age 25 season in AAA, he struck out 100 times in 371 AB.

Even last year when Mawell was raking in AAA before he got hurt, he K'd 72 times in 177 AB.

That said, given what we've seen so far if I had to make the call, in spite of handedness, I'd cut Ibanez loose and keep Maxwell (especially if Swisher needs to take some time to heal up as we move towards opening day).

even 80% of cruz is a dream though
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    It will though.

This is mostly a veteran team that needs a mixture of youth, so I would go with Maxwell and cut bait with Ibanez.

NYYF Legend

I hear what you're saying, but Maxwell's swing and miss tendencies are really at a different level. In Maxwell's age 25 season in AAA, he struck out 136 times in 384 AB. In Cruz' age 25 season in AAA, he struck out 100 times in 371 AB.

Even last year when Mawell was raking in AAA before he got hurt, he K'd 72 times in 177 AB.

That said, given what we've seen so far if I had to make the call, in spite of handedness, I'd cut Ibanez loose and keep Maxwell (especially if Swisher needs to take some time to heal up as we move towards opening day).
    Oh I agree. Most AAAA guys don't shake the label. Cruz was one notable exception that I could think of so I threw his name out there.

Maxwell may very well flame out but given that I think Ibanez is now burnt toast, I'll take a gamble than may pay off over a player I don't think can do it anymore.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

We don't need a lefty OF off the bench, all three of our starting OF's hit left-handed.

Better off carrying Jones and Maxwell and cutting bait with Ibanez who is clearly done.

This is not the roids era ... 40 is old again.

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    We don't need a lefty OF off the bench, all three of our starting OF's hit left-handed.

Better off carrying Jones and Maxwell and cutting bait with Ibanez who is clearly done.

This is not the roids era ... 40 is old again.
    It's not really 4OF that's of concern. It's LH DH.

Right -- at some point this season, the Yankees are going to want to have that lefty power bat for the DH slot.

But I think we can agree that if Ibanez does not show anything by the time the decision must be made on Maxwell, it makes sense to keep the latter as insurance against injuries, until another effective lefty bat can be secured, even if that is not until August.

(And that bat is not Damon!)

It's not really 4OF that's of concern. It's LH DH.
    We can use Chavez for that.
    Last edited by Battingly; 03-22-12 at 06:53 PM.

exactly its LH DH & thats why Ibanez needs to be let go in exchange for Damon

its not about nostalgia..... its about winning

most reasonable people realize that Damon will help us offensively much MUCH more than Ibanez, who should retire
    RIP MR. STEINBRENNER

Branyan's bad back will keep Ibanez on this team, barring some ninja trade
    like delv, but better

cut ibanez

if nothing else at least DH ANDRUW and have Maxwell on the team for defense..

its a no brainer.

Larry Walker's Fanclub Rocketman's Avatar

I've ALWAYS thought Ibanez was overrated, and he's 40 years old this season. That said, he was a cheap gamble. If he doesn't work out, we can easily swap him out for someone else.

Damon is only 1.5 years younger, but at least he has legs that function.

Thread Information