+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2012 Andy Pettitte Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Pettitte replaces Phelps and then Phelps replaces Hughes in the rotation. Hughes could then go to the bullpen and become the 7th inning pitcher with Soriano taking Robertson's spot since D Rob will be taking Mo's spot.
    This seems like the most likely scenario.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Pettitte replaces Phelps and then Phelps replaces Hughes in the rotation. Hughes could then go to the bullpen and become the 7th inning pitcher with Soriano taking Robertson's spot since D Rob will be taking Mo's spot.
    Why stretch Phelps out only to put him back in the bullpen? If Hughes goes backwards next start, it's a no brainer that he replaces Hughes.

NYYF Legend

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...k_nyy&c_id=nyy
    NEW YORK -- The Yankees will meet on Tuesday to decide if Andy Pettitte's next start should come at the Major League level.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said that he received updated reports from the club's Triple-A coaching staff and plans to share them with manager Joe Girardi and his coaches at Yankee Stadium before Tuesday's 7:05 p.m. ET game against the Rays.

"The bottom line is he got his work in, he's healthy," Cashman said. "And so we've got to decide whether it's in his best interests to join us now or if we can get anything more out of what he's been doing."

Regular rest would peg the 39-year-old Pettitte to next pitch on Friday, when the Yankees welcome the Mariners and probable starter Felix Hernandez to town for a three-game weekend series.

In his fourth official Minor League start on Sunday, Pettitte allowed five runs (three earned) on eight hits over five innings, pitching at the Triple-A level against Pawtucket in Rochester, N.Y.

Pettitte recorded five strikeouts and issued a pair of walks while tossing 92 pitches -- 52 of which came in the first two innings. After the game, Pettitte said, "I feel like I'm ready. I feel like I'm ready to go up, and I think they're ready for me to come up."

Cashman said that he believes Pettitte could get big league hitters out right now, and he blamed defense and a poor mound at Frontier Field as possible reasons for Pettitte's struggles on Sunday. He doesn't plan to factor the hurler's postgame comments into the decision.

"I think anybody with the amount of time and experience that he's had in the big leagues, really -- going through the Minor Leagues isn't the most invigorating experience," Cashman said.

"It doesn't mean he's not ready, doesn't mean he's wrong. At the same time, you've got to put it in context, too. None of these guys want to be down there, just like none of the young guys want to be down there."

NYYF Legend

If Cash thinks Pettitte is ready to get big league hitters out now, what's left to decide other than when his first start will be?
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF MVP

Hope the weather doesn't mess things up & Andy does go on Sunday -- it's Yogi Berra Baseball Card Day, with Coney in the Booth.

EDIT Yogi day is Saturday (his birthday)
    Last edited by HerbieLee20; 05-09-12 at 03:49 PM.

nice headline

NYYF Legend

welcome back Andy
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Idk, but I just don't like Andy coming in. He hasn't pitched since 2010 and is gonna be rusty. If he was gonna be in the bullpen it would be fine, but as a starter it's sketchy to me

NYYF MVP

What is the harm in trying?

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

i am cautiously optimistic for same old andy. he's not a high velo guy, so if he's feeling good as he says, chances are results should be comparable to last stint.

let phil and phelps battle for the last rotation spot, and then you can revisit come october (i assume we'll be in the mix somewhere) when you only need 4 starters.

absolute worst case hypo andy doesn't cut it, he's in the pen after tearful goodbye to clay ripada.

Quote Originally Posted by K-W View Post
    What is the harm in trying?
    Easy. He gives up 5 + runs in his first couple of starts, has a horrendous era, and still leaves a gap in the rotation

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bernforever51 View Post
    Easy. He gives up 5 + runs in his first couple of starts, has a horrendous era, and still leaves a gap in the rotation
    Still leaving a gap in the rotation isn't a loss from trying him. Your worst case scenario is he makes it hard to win 2 games. Meanwhile the upside is adding an experienced arm to plug the gap. This is a pretty lopsided risk/reward scenario.

Anyone notice his delivery is a bit different? On the wind up he's doing something wierd with his elbow.

NYYF Legend

He needs Moose like command to succeed with his stuff.

Let's just hope Seņor Cashman has better luck with Andy's signing than he did his workout partner in '07.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Let's just hope Seņor Cashman has better luck with Andy's signing than he did his workout partner in '07.
    It's going to cost a whole lot less whatever the result.
    Offseason, time to try optimism again.

Devoted Member

For starters, it's just awesome to see an Andy Pettitte 2012 Performance Thread. I thought he did a nice job keeping us in the game. If we'd have scored some runs when we had our chances, he could've come out a winner. Not bad for a #4/#5 guy, which is what I expect from Andy. I know he expects more, but I think he's going to stabilize the back end of our rotation. If Phil can continue to roll, that's a solid back end to go along with Kuroda at #3.

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by JBursch23 View Post
    For starters, it's just awesome to see an Andy Pettitte 2012 Performance Thread. I thought he did a nice job keeping us in the game. If we'd have scored some runs when we had our chances, he could've come out a winner. Not bad for a #4/#5 guy, which is what I expect from Andy. I know he expects more, but I think he's going to stabilize the back end of our rotation. If Phil can continue to roll, that's a solid back end to go along with Kuroda at #3.
    just got back from the stadium. Definitely looked a little rusty, but he can definitely build on this start.

Quote Originally Posted by StaleMilk View Post
    Anyone notice his delivery is a bit different? On the wind up he's doing something wierd with his elbow.
    Yes,I noticed from the very first pitch he threw.Appeared to be keeping
    his left elbow very high.
    Tex will bring us #27
    [IMG]http://forums.nyyfans.com/customprofilepics/profilepic21787_4.gif[/IMG]

This is a good analysis from ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...attle-mariners

Pettitte had all of his pitches but lacked pinpoint accuracy. They think he will regain this his old form as the season progresses.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by EJMUL View Post
    This is a good analysis from ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...attle-mariners

Pettitte had all of his pitches but lacked pinpoint accuracy. They think he will regain this his old form as the season progresses.
    No velocity though. He touched 90 early, but was 88 much of the outing. He really needs exceptional control to deal at that velo. Hopefully he is still building strength.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    No velocity though. He touched 90 early, but was 88 much of the outing. He really needs exceptional control to deal at that velo. Hopefully he is still building strength.
    His velocity was much better than what was reported in his minor league outings though. A southpaw pitcher with his experience can be very effective pitching 88-90 range once he gets his legs under him and is mixing in all of his pitches.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/...F&prevDate=513

Quote Originally Posted by StaleMilk View Post
    I noticed that too, though it did seem to lessen as he pitched more
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Thread Information