+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    NYYF MVP

Re: 2012 Andy Pettitte Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    No velocity though. He touched 90 early, but was 88 much of the outing. He really needs exceptional control to deal at that velo. Hopefully he is still building strength.
    His velocity today was where it has basically been at since 2002.

If anything I would argue the exact opposite of what you said the velocity today was great for Pettitte, if he came out throwing 84-85 you would have a point.

Did you think Pettite threw 93 or something?

The fact that he was 87-89 while touching 90 is more then good enough velocity for him to pitch very well, it's basically in the same range of velocity he has had for most of his career.

Success for Pettite will come down to command, location and changing speeds with his secondary pitches just like every other pitcher in the majors.

If he does that his velocity is more then enough to pitch well.

He was better than Garcia. And Hughes (save the last couple of starts). Upgrade is an upgrade

NYYF Legend

So, in reading over the posts, it seems as though if his command improves, he'll be able to hold his own. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that he could become a southpaw version of Moose 2008. One of the most effective pitches in baseball is a well-placed fastball, even if it's coming in at 82 mph.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    So, in reading over the posts, it seems as though if his command improves, he'll be able to hold his own. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that he could become a southpaw version of Moose 2008. One of the most effective pitches in baseball is a well-placed fastball, even if it's coming in at 82 mph.
    What Pettitte did yesterday is no different than what he's done in 2009 and 2010. It's just a matter of him getting his command to where it was in 2009/2010.

NYYF Cy Young

Good to see him back! I'm sure he'll put that loss squarely on his shoulders, but if the hitters can't do anything against a Kevin Millwood, even better location and control won't help!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    He never has Moose command, even in his prime. But he can be effective if he can improve his command.

NYYF MVP

Moose was right handed.

Pettitte is left handed.

Two pitchers with two completely different realities.

No point in comparing the two.

Specifically if you are talking about velocity, command as well as release point(Moose over the top; Pettitte 3/4)

Moose had to adjust to legitimate velocity lost as a right handed pitcher which is extremely tough and he went out on top doing it his last year because of his command.

Pettitte was a high 80's(88-89 mph) pitcher for basically all of his 30's since about 2002, which is more then enough as a left handed pitcher of his talent level.

Pettitte needs better command just like every pitcher from the ones that throw 85 to the ones that throw 95, but not the level of command that Mussina needed as a right handed pitcher with legitimate diminished velocity in his last couple of years as a Yankee.

David Cone is not joking when he points to Pettitte being a lefty.

It's a completely different animal then being a right handed pitcher specifically as major league pitchers get older.

Just to give you an example Cole Hamels average velocity since 2007 has been 90.8 and he dominates with it as a left handed pitcher with a great changeup.
    Last edited by NYCrusader; 05-14-12 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    What Pettitte did yesterday is no different than what he's done in 2009 and 2010. It's just a matter of him getting his command to where it was in 2009/2010.
    I agree. The last couple of years his "stuff' had declined but Pettitte still figured out a way to get the job done. I think he'll figure out a way to get by with what he has now.

Initially I wasn't all that optimistic when Pettitte announced his comeback but after watching him yesterday I'm more hopeful that he will contribute. Perhaps not in a grand way, but I expect him to make a contribution.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I agree. The last couple of years his "stuff' had declined but Pettitte still figured out a way to get the job done. I think he'll figure out a way to get by with what he has now.

Initially I wasn't all that optimistic when Pettitte announced his comeback but after watching him yesterday I'm more hopeful that he will contribute. Perhaps not in a grand way, but I expect him to make a contribution.
    His stuff has been the same for ten years now.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    His stuff has been the same for ten years now.
    Yup. Improve command and I think you are looking at the same guy for the last decade.
    "Well guess what? He's dead. You just signed a dead guy." --pleasepassthesoup

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    historic depth
    historic all right

Command was alright I thought (at least mostly).

I saw a guy who made his first start of the year. As he got later in the game he lost a bit and wasn't finishing pitches.

Really, what hurt him was 2-3 cutters that were flat and hammered. Seemed to happen late and is normal for a guy making his first start.

I think he is going to be great. It was great to watch him pitch and work fast.
    You know they are not real pies, right?

"I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

NYYF MVP

LOL @ this thread not being bumped -- so had to before running out to work.

Gotta hate the DH rule cause Andy does not get to BAT!!!

Thru 8
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

121st Street & a On The End Ave.

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

What a performance! 2nd ML game after a year and a half and he does THAT! What?

Love him!
    2014 - New Team, New Result

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Nicely done Mr. Pettitte.

NYYF Legend

Talk about pitching to the scoreboard! Andy gave the Yankees everything they could have asked for tonight and then some.

NYYF Legend

I'm just gonna say it.

I love Andy Pettitte.
    Love him.
    Love.
    Him.
    .Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Talk about being just what the doctor ordered. Great outing by Andy, and boy did we need it.

hot damn
    always reasonable

Andy Pettitte really put the Yankees on his back by pitching 8 shutout innings with 9 strikeouts.

NYYF Legend

Andy's back.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Off To Never Never Land Mr.Muhozi's Avatar

I'm impressed.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Pettitte's pitches breakdown from tonight.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/...F&prevDate=518

NYYF Legend

So, the Yankee rotation is now CC, Pettitte and forget it?

:clap

Thread Information