+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Re: Andy Pettitte makes a comeback

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    How many pitchers - aside from a roided-up Clemens - have come back at age 39 after a year of retirement?
    And Clemens didn't actually even retire. He faked a few retirements but never actually went through with one until his roid troubles hit.
    Hank 'N Hal's Country Club -- where accountability is soooo 1990s!

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Pettitte and Wainwright are completely different situations. Coming back at age 30 after a year off to repair and rehab an injury is one thing; plenty of pitchers have done that, though with varying success. How many pitchers - aside from a roided-up Clemens - have come back at age 39 after a year of retirement?
    I may not have been clear. I was disagreeing with the comparison to Wainwright for the reasons you listed.
    Life is good!

NYYF Legend

cant wait to crack out my Pettitte jersey at a game this year
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Let Andy pitch after the AS break. (Earlier if he is lights out)

Or maybe a 6 man rotation in the 1st half???
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Cashman said that back in December, Pettitte contacted him after hearing an interview between Cash and Michael Kay in which Kay asked him if he had heard from Andy or whatever. Cashman in the interview said something along the lines of 'we'll always have a spot for him if he wants it.'

Andy was intrigued by this and called Cashman-- he offered him $10-12M, but Pettitte said he wasn't ready-- he would work out for about six weeks and let him know. Cashman said he told Pettitte that he couldn't wait; he mentioned Pineda and Kuroda to him. Pettitte said he'd work out until he heard otherwise. About three weeks later Cash told him he was all set with his rotation, and that they didn't have the money to spend or a spot for him.

Andy then showed up to be a spring training coach and told Cashman that after stopping his workout for a week, he started working out again and hasn't stopped throwing. They then hammered out the minor league deal.
    I heard Cashman's fairytale-like take on it too, but it's not exactly how Pettitte remembers it.

Starts at around 6:35 into the interview:

http://web.yesnetwork.com/media/vide...y_20199575&v=3

NYYF Legend

Smile Re: Andy Pettitte makes a comeback

Andy needs to stay 2 seasons. He only needs 34 more wins to pass Ford!

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post

I hope not, it screwed up CC last year.

Please no 6-man rotation. Please. It doesnt work.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

If anything, I'd like to see us go back to a four man rotation.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Because the Yankees already stated that CC on not regular rest screwed him up last season. They won't make that same mistake again.
    That was one of the worst sabotage jobs I've seen. Dominant as any pitcher in the league and what do you? Pitch him less.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    That was one of the worst sabotage jobs I've seen. Dominant as any pitcher in the league and what do you? Pitch him less.
    Yeah it really made no sense at all. It definetly affected our chances to win it all last year because CC was just never the same once they started the 6-man nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    If anything, I'd like to see us go back to a four man rotation.
    I would love to see four-man rotations come back.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post

I rather see a 5-man rotation Lou. Keep it in rhythm.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Yeah it really made no sense at all. It definetly affected our chances to win it all last year because CC was just never the same once they started the 6-man nonsense.
    I have to disagree. The 6 man rotation is a convenient excuse, but CC's problems started when he wanted to try for the no hitter vs Seattle and came back after two rain delays. He never was the same after that game

Up to that game he had a run where he gave up 7 or less hits in 7 straight games, allowing over 1 run once and gave up 6 home runs all season

After that game in his last 10 starts, he gave up over 7 hits 7 times, and gave up 31 runs in 68 innings, and 12 home runs. Then of course, the awful post season.

Quote Originally Posted by vieux stade View Post
    I really, really hope that Andy's body is still up to pitching at the major league level. David Cone had a so-so year with the Sox, sat out a year, then tried to make a comeback with the Mets. He had one "turn back the clock" game but was done.

Who here would want to be at the game where Andy makes a triumphant return to the mound but then gets lifted in the second inning?

For a ball player time is a betraying lover. Experience will sharpen his skills and mastery but then start to chip away at them.
    Pettitte's 2010 performance was among the best of his career (albeit he only made 21 starts). At the time he retired everyone was saying, "hey, he's got a lot left, let's hope he comes back for another year!"

I don't know if the year off will be good or bad for him, but it's not like he's a guy who was losing it when he walked away

And a big difference between him and Cone is that Cone struggled, missed time and pitched through a lot of trouble with his arm late in his career. Plus they have completely different body types. It's not a comparison that warrants merit.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by arodera View Post
    "Andy Pettitte is a stahting pitcha!"
    "Never, never, never quit."-Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sabbathia View Post
    And a big difference between him and Cone is that Cone struggled, missed time and pitched through a lot of trouble with his arm late in his career.
    A very good point. Whereas Cone was often a medical basket case in the 1996-2000 window, Andy's late-career physical issues probably had more to do with the fact that he continued to be treated as the "innings eater" he was for most of his career, when in fact, starting around 2008, his body started to leak oil at around 140-150 innings. He finished up all three years 2008-2010 pitching on guts and memory.

I don't know if this is going to work (the year off makes me skeptical) but if he shows he can still do it I hope he's used as a 5-6 inning pitcher. I know that's counter to his whole career but I think that's the best use of him now (assuming he's effective at all).

Nova looks terrible this spring. If he keeps pitching like he has tonight, he's the one out.

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryankees View Post
    Nova looks terrible this spring. If he keeps pitching like he has tonight, he's the one out.
    They should replace him with Johnny Damon immediately before he blows any more spring training games.

sentimental signing based more on nostalgia than rationality don't understand how people just forgive this guy for using hgh and snitching on the rocket like it's all good

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yanksftw View Post
    sentimental signing based more on nostalgia than rationality don't understand how people just forgive this guy for using hgh and snitching on the rocket like it's all good
    He used it once to rehab. Smart move? No (and he has admitted as much)

If I could snitch on Clemens I would, too.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

I'm sure his iconic stature was a significant factor, but I don't see this as irrational at all. Pettitte was extremely effective in '10. We'll have to wait and see what a year off does to him.

Sounds like he's one of a majority of players that used HGH or something else to either try to rehab or boost performance. It's disappointing, but I do look at his use a little differently than other guys that were unfortunate enough to get named in the media.

Snitching on the Rocket? Uh, what did you want him to do? Sorry - I don't hold being honest to a grand jury against the guy one bit.

NYYF Legend

He should have lied under oath?
    Wow, just wow.

Thread Information