+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Re: Andy Pettitte makes a comeback

It won't surprise me in the least to see him return to NY in May and proceed to pitch like a #2 starter for the remainder of the season.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    It won't surprise me in the least to see him return to NY in May and proceed to pitch like a #2 starter for the remainder of the season.
    I'd love to see Andy pick up 10 Ws. 250 career wins will be a lot more palatable to the Hall of Fame voters than 240. The age of the 300-Win Hall of Fame credential are over. But 250 sounds like a whole lot more than even 249.

Another ring won't hurt him, either.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    I think it reasonable to assume that he will not throw five wild pitches in one game, that's for certain.

Seriously, I can see him coming back, making 25 starts and going 12-6 with around a 4.00 ERA - Andy is now a pitcher. He will pitch to the score and give the Yankees the chance to win pretty much every game he is involved in.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Any recent updates on Andy and his next rehab start? I have not seen anything!

NYYF MVP

... Pettitte will work again on Wednesday, April 25.

Pettitte breezed through four scoreless innings for Tampa Sunday (April 15) against Clearwater at George M. Steinbrenner Field in his second minor-league start in six days …threw 31 of his 47 pitches for strikes and began the game by retiring 10 batters in a row. Newsday and MLB.com quoted Pettitte as saying he will "definitely" make starts at Double-A before rejoining the Yankees, who have set a target date of May 15 for his return to the rotation.
    http://www.nj.com/thunder/index.ssf/...ttitte_to.html

I saw that he was scheduled to pitch for Tampa but i looked on their website and it doesnt have him as the starting pitcher tonight for the game which makes me wonder if he got pushed back or something!

NYYF Legend

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/04/2...es-at-red-sox/
    UPDATE, 4:25 p.m.: From the Associated Press: Andy Pettitte made 66 pitches over 5.2 innings in an extended spring training game. The left-hander, who ended a one-year retirement last month, said he expects to pitch at a higher classification, likely Double-A Trenton, in his next start.
    Michael Kay mentioned during the game broadcast, 2 ER, no walks and 58 of his 66 pitches were strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/04/2...es-at-red-sox/

Michael Kay mentioned during the game broadcast, 2 ER, no walks and 58 of his 66 pitches were strikes.
    huhhhhh

More importantly, he bought the Tampa team a Carraba's & a breakfast spread while he was there.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    I read an interesting study where athiests and agnostics were more compassionate and less violent and etc than religious people. It was really interesting that those governed by a higher law were less likely to follow it than those who weren't.

Also, there is the physics/bio-chemical explanation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7AWnfFRc7g

We're empathetic.

Great stuff, mang. Thanks. Watching the video right now.
    like delv, but better

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    huhhhhh
    One of his other previous outings he had 26 for 32 strikes. Hopefully this carries over when he makes his first start. And i really hope we can get him 10 w's, 250 definitely will help his HOF bid.
    I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee fan

Operation 28

NYYF HOF

hurry back soon, can't stand watching freddy garcia any longer
    [B][COLOR=Navy]
    [/COLOR][/B]

NYYF Triple Crown

You guys do realize that Andy is going to be 40 years old in June. I hope he will bring back some of that old magic but let's not get our hopes up too high.

NYYF Legend

Not much longer...

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/04/2...tended-spring/
    • There is much better news on Andy Pettitte, who is scheduled to make his next minor league start on Wednesday with Double-A Trenton. He’s scheduled for 80-85 pitches. Sounds like the plan is for three more minor league starts before a possible return to the big leagues. “I think that’s realistic to look at,” Girardi said. “Three more minor league starts and then you make an evaluation of where he’s at and what he needs.”

• Sounds like Pettitte might wrap up his minor league outings in Trenton. Normally, a Triple-A start or two might make sense, but with the Triple-A team constantly on the road, the situation isn’t ideal. “I think the key is, a lot of times it’s more about pitching at home where you don’t have to travel a lot,” Girardi said.

Quote Originally Posted by LIYanks View Post
    You guys do realize that Andy is going to be 40 years old in June. I hope he will bring back some of that old magic but let's not get our hopes up too high.
    Andy Pettitte is a STAHTING PITCHA!!!

Will be interesting to see how he does. The early reports sound good in terms of stuff and ability to throw strikes.

NYYF Legend

Garcia is making it easy for the return of Pettitte. It won't be hard to replace Garcia in that rotation.

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Andy can't get back to NY soon enough - keeping fingers crossed that there won't be any setbacks.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

I'm cautiously optimistic. Bear in mind at this point he only needs to be better than Garcia to add value to this rotation, which shouldn't be too hard to do.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

My only fear is that he's going to remain in the rotation regardless of performance because he's Andy Pettitte.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    My only fear is that he's going to remain in the rotation regardless of performance because he's Andy Pettitte.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/842584/AndyPettitte052709.mp3

Addicted Member

What do you mean? Andy is the same age as fran drescher, 29 forever. (smh, yes i just made a nanny reference). But in all seriousness I only hope he is a good fraction of the andy we all know and it doesn't come down to an embarrassment of having to be pulled out of the rotation, or critique of management for not pulling him because he's andy pettitte.
    I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee fan

Operation 28

NYYF Legend

Jamie Moyer says hello.

I'm hoping that between not getting into the rotation until mid-May and maybe juggling the rotation around to give him an extra day here and there(plus days off), that Andy will hold up just fine. He may not even need it.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Addicted Member

I cannot wait until Pettitte's return to the mound at the Stadium. I anticipate he'll receive quite a warm welcome

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

I'll be at the game tomororw night to see Andy pitch. Very excited!
    2014 - New Team, New Result

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteYankee View Post
    I'll be at the game tomororw night to see Andy pitch. Very excited!
    We expect a full report!

I am obviously basing this on nothing and have no idea what I'm talking about, but it does seem like they're really taking their time with Pettitte. I'd rather throw him out there for the big-league team right now (backed up by Phelps if pitch count is that much of a concern) than watch Freddy Garcia throw even one more pitch.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Thread Information