+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

FAB 2012 countdown and tracking

Last time, we had a single FAB thread for people to post questions and signings, so here we go again.

Before we begin (around 48 hours from the time of this post), a FAQ:

Make sure you've decided whether to dump your whole roster ("Firesale") or not. Dumping the whole roster includes prospects, and you will have $100m free to spend. You can waive individual players instead of dumping the whole roster, but then you're on the hook for half their remaining salary - unless they get claimed by another team.

If you want to extend any existing contracts, you must do this before the FAB. Otherwise, they'll hit free agency.

You have a salary cap of $100m during the FAB, but $110m for the whole season - the game forces you to keep $10m in reserve for mid-season signings. Probably a good idea. Money not spent does not roll over to 2013! Mid-season signings cannot be extended beyond 2012, but trading for players, or claiming them off waivers, avoids this problem.

Contracts are in $m/year, not $m total! (This tripped up at least one owner last year . . .) A contract for $18m/3Y is for $18m per year, not $6m per year! Also, GDR contracts do not correlate particularly well with real-world contracts, so avoid thinking that A-Rod is a bargain at $22m/year just because he makes more than that for the Yankees . . .

You are limited to 50 contract years and 3 No-Trade Clauses total. Be aware - if you use up all 50 contract years, you may have difficulty signing prospects or trading for new players during the season!

You gain GM rating through signing players, and making bids that put you in the lead for a player (even if you're later out-bid). You lose GM rating for late bids (final 10% of the bidding period, with higher penalties later on), waiving players, or submitting bids to a player you can't fulfill - e.g. because you run out of years or money when the signing deadline hits. That doesn't mean you can't do those things - you can save a lot of cash by low-balling players when you're the only one bidding! But be aware that it comes with a cost.

GM rating lets you see more information on the bidding - how many teams are competing against you for a player? Which teams are they? At high levels, you even get to see what the current high bid is . . .

Your team will automatically place 5 new players onto the market every FAB round (of which there are 5) = 25 players total. You do not have to bid on these players if you don't want - this is useful if your roster is already filling up! Go to Free Agency Blitz/Autobid and configure the tool appropriately. This is a great way to finish the draft if you're happy with your roster already, and don't want to spend more. It can also help you find bargains in the late rounds! If no-one bids on a player, they return to free agency. You don't lose GM points for doing this.

You may sign up to 40 players, not including prospects. You have a 25-man MLB roster, and can have up to 15 players in the minors - they don't have to be prospects! Young players can be sent to the minors up to 3 times each; older players, 1 time each. This is tracked in your Front Office/Contracts page.

Finally, any other questions or problems, please raise them now! Veterans, feel free to jump in with other advice. The FAB isn't hard, or even that complicated, but it is different to most leagues.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Mayonnaise is a demanding master.

Forum Regular

Re: FAB 2012 countdown and tracking

Very well said, Sax. Like has been said in the past, go down to the bottom of GameDay to read through the rules. GM rating does have an impact on whether you get a free agent.

Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

11 minutes!

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

5 minutes to go! I am a little nervous I did something wrong, even though I don't think I did....

How long does it take for players to sign with teams once they hit the market? Do they wait the entire 24 hour period?

NYYF Legend

Yes, always. It's structured so that one player will hit the market each round after the first just after another player signs, so you pretty much always have 50 players on the market at one time.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

NYYF Legend

Not a bad start to things - some interesting names hitting the market! rodg12, I think your First Offer Queue is empty, and so the compter is auto-placing players on the market for your Pinch Hitters. Not sure if that's deliberate?

Signings start tomorrow at noon EST, with each signing immediately followed by another player hitting the market.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

NYYF Legend

A reminder - some of the players on the market are now in the final 10% of the countdown, meaning that new bids on them will incur a GM rating penalty. This increases as the player gets closer to signing; on the Free Agent Blitz/Team Planner screen you should see the rating tracker flashing red to indicate this. Not all the first wave players are yet in the final 10%, either, so choose accordingly.

It's still a valid tactic to bid late (including amending your own bid downwards if you're confident you're easily winning), but it will cost you. Be warned!

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Whats the GM penalty for bidding late? -2 to the GM rating?

Quote Originally Posted by wang+cano=future View Post
    Whats the GM penalty for bidding late? -2 to the GM rating?
    Depends how late you bid.

Where can we see the signings on the site? The just seem to disappear......

NYYF Legend

Go to Free Agent Blitz/League Progress. You can select which Wave (round) you want to view.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    Depends how late you bid.
    Seems to range from -1 to -10, so a true last-second bid would be -10.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

NYYF Triple Crown

Yay 96 GM rating! Watch out suckas I know your bids!

I am falling short on all my bids. Even tied for a bid, but must have lost to a higher GM rating...

I lost out on two players even though i offered MORE money, but was less of a length of contract.

Who did you lose out on?

I lost on Weaver (though a lower bid)
    Cain (same bid as winning team, lost prolly b/c of lower GM rating?)
    Pujols, offered more money, but 2yr NT, lost to lower bid with 3yr NT
    Napoli, offered more money, lost to less money, longer contract
    Reyes, lower bid
    Pineda, offered $1m MORE than winning team, but lost on years

I bid $9m/2yrs on Granderson and LOST to $7.5m/3yrs, NT.

I was REALLY confident on the $9m...

Sounds like you've been getting squeezed all day......

On the screen where you make/amend an offer to a player, there is a black box between the player's position, and the dollar amount you want to offer. If you click on it, you can see the difference in TOTAL dollars a contract is worth (e.g. a contract for 3.5/3 is worth a TOTAL of $11.1 million, while a contract of 2.5/1 is worth a total of $13.7 million [taken from Hunter Pence's Bid Calculator) check out the bid calculator before making a bid, just because you offer more money over a longer period doesn't mean it's worth more to the player.

EDIT- NTs drastically increase the overall value of a contract offer. More often than not, if a player is choosing between to offers and one includes a NT, the GM offering the NT will sign the player.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Buccos View Post
    On the screen where you make/amend an offer to a player, there is a black box between the player's position, and the dollar amount you want to offer. If you click on it, you can see the difference in TOTAL dollars a contract is worth (e.g. a contract for 3.5/3 is worth a TOTAL of $11.1 million, while a contract of 2.5/1 is worth a total of $13.7 million [taken from Hunter Pence's Bid Calculator) check out the bid calculator before making a bid, just because you offer more money over a longer period doesn't mean it's worth more to the player.

EDIT- NTs drastically increase the overall value of a contract offer. More often than not, if a player is choosing between to offers and one includes a NT, the GM offering the NT will sign the player.
    Um, yeah I know all that. But you don't know, until your GM rating gets high enough, what the other person is offering. And sometimes it gives you a yellow box, when you are really the high bidder.

Big_E I beat you out on Cain, Pujols, Reyes, Pineda and Granderson

I think I shot my wad bidding too much early on, and a couple of guys I didn't necessarily want/need. I bid like 6m on Hanley Ramirez, saw nobody else was bidding on him, so took a hit to my GM rating and lowered his offer to 3m. I could have gone even lower.

We'll see how the rest of this shakes out, but I definitely spent too much early on and have to tightly budget the rest of the way. Learning experience. And I've had no time at all the last 10 days or so to prepare for this, so I stupidly destroyed my GM rating making meaningless last minute bids on Jansen and Cuddyer today not realizing how much it would drop my rating

Also, I still need to get my payment in to Saxmania, had a number of things going wrong lately, sorry for the delay, I should be able to get you it by Monday at the latest

Oh, and Joey Votto is on the trade block if anyone is interested. When I put in my bids on him and Pujols I never expected to get both. I didn't expect to get Jose Reyes either, thought I was lowballing him a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sabbathia View Post
    Big_E I beat you out on Cain, Pujols, Reyes, Pineda and Granderson
    Bastich!

Lost Ellsbury. I offered more money but 2 yrs' lost to a 3 yr NT.

Thread Information