+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Re: 2012 Ivan Nova Performance Thread

If he was ill then that I'm confident has more to do with it.
    Life is good!

Despite the stuff, I don't see this guy ever being an ace. He's a very solid, above average pitcher. He's gonna have games like this but he got through six and didn't give in.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    Despite the stuff, I don't see this guy ever being an ace. He's a very solid, above average pitcher. He's gonna have games like this but he got through six and didn't give in.
    Agreed - although this kid is the best starter to come out of the (Yankee) minors since Pettitte.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Agreed - although this kid is the best starter to come out of the (Yankee) minors since Pettitte.
    Agreed Eff. The fact that Joba isn't that guy is so maddening. Someone compared Nova to Amdy the other day and the explanation was quite sensible.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Agreed Eff. The fact that Joba isn't that guy is so maddening. Someone compared Nova to Amdy the other day and the explanation was quite sensible.
    I've wondered about that comparison myself -- I can see Nova as the above average, steady presence in the rotation for years to come. Obviously, it's no sure thing, but it's not out of the realm of possibility
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Sometimes - expectations are way high (see Hughes) or a guy comes up and starts dominating and then can't sustain it (see Joba)... It's a bit frustrating....

I like Nova. (I stole him in the 9th round of our draft last year - pick of the draft!) I'm hoping this guy just continues to pitch like this for a long time. Every pitcher brought up from the minors doesn't have to be an ace.....

NYYF MVP

I would say Chien Ming Wang still holds that honor based on what he accomplished as a Yankee before he got hurt.

Though Nova could easily pass him because Wang's success was short lived because of said injury.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrusader View Post
    I would say Chien Ming Wang still holds that honor based on what he accomplished as a Yankee before he got hurt.
    I'm not in front of the stats but I think Nova has been better than Wang was.

EDIT: OK - maybe not. I just checked.

This is our future. JohnnyDamonfan's Avatar

Yeah, I truly don't think he is gonna be an ace. But, if he keeps this up I still believe he will be a solid number 2 or 3 pitcher. I still hope to god that they don't trade him when Pettitte and Pineda come up. I am hopeful we will see Pineda about the same time we see Andy in a Yankee Uniform.
    Still and will always be a New England Patriots fan.

[quote=THEBOSS84]You may be my favorite poster on the site. So sweet and innocent.[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I've wondered about that comparison myself -- I can see Nova as the above average, steady presence in the rotation for years to come. Obviously, it's no sure thing, but it's not out of the realm of possibility
    The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. No sure he'll ever strikeout a tone of guys consistently but I do think he'll give us consistent error acne similar to Andy although expecting him to be Andy 2.0 is probably asking way too much.

Sometimes - expectations are way high (see Hughes) or a guy comes up and starts dominating and then can't sustain it (see Joba)... It's a bit frustrating....

I like Nova. (I stole him in the 9th round of our draft last year - pick of the draft!) I'm hoping this guy just continues to pitch like this for a long time. Every pitcher brought up from the minors doesn't have to be an ace.....
    Doesn't have to be an ace? Think like a Yankee fan please!

I'm not in front of the stats but I think Nova has been better than Wang was.

EDIT: OK - maybe not. I just checked.
    Wang was damn good. Had he not have messed up his foot during that base run we'd have another strong pitcher. That 2009 rotation would have been so much stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDamonfan View Post
    Yeah, I truly don't think he is gonna be an ace. But, if he keeps this up I still believe he will be a solid number 2 or 3 pitcher. I still hope to god that they don't trade him when Pettitte and Pineda come up. I am hopeful we will see Pineda about the same time we see Andy in a Yankee Uniform.
    They aren't trading Nova unless its for another stud young pitcher and even then I'm not convinced. Our rotation beyond this season will be CC, Pineda, Nova plus other young guys. Also think that Andy might be back again next year.

Nova's stuff looks incredible so far this year. Increased velocity too. I am excited about this kid having another great season.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeesfan811 View Post
    Nova's stuff looks incredible so far this year. Increased velocity too. I am excited about this kid having another great season.
    I think he has always had the velocity, he changed last year to more movement and sinking action. This year, he looks like he is mixing up varieties of fastballs with various movements. It's nice to see the growth there as well as other places.
    You know they are not real pies, right?

"I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

He's a bit like Garza or Fister with the erratic K/rates. I'm not convinced that he's an 8 K/9 pitcher, but I do think he can be. He needs to use the slider more often.

He pitched much better than his line indicated. Iannettas's HR was incredibly cheesy (not to say that Jeter's was a bomb) and Swisher played Izturis' triple horribly, he wasn't even in the right spot to catch the ball.
    "No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in." - Bill Hicks

"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." - Leo Durocher

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman View Post
    I need some moxie detoxie.
    follow the swirl...

"Happiness is...a thumb and a blanket."

Couldn't find a bigger pic?

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

He's no longer with the team, but Ian Kennedy should be in that discussion too.

He has the 35th best winning percentage of all-time, for pitchers with at least 50 decisions. (Greatly helped by last year's stats).

(Wang is 14th)

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

18IP/2BB/20K

Nice.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    18IP/2BB/20K

Nice.
    I am loving these stats the most and gladdly eating crow on my prediction that he would regress from last year's stats.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    18IP/2BB/20K

Nice.
    Even though it's only 3 starts, I gotta admit I was expecting Nova to regress a bit this year (though he still can). Those K/9 and K/BB ratios are sparkling so far.

EDIT: YT, we think alike sometimes.

BossaNova.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    follow the swirl...

Have you ever tried this stuff? Tastes like turpentine.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Its kinda ironic how the lesser heralded Yankee pitching prospects end up working out....where as the hyped ones dont

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Its kinda ironic how the lesser heralded Yankee pitching prospects end up working out....where as the hyped ones dont
    I honestly believe that's attributed to having less stress and pressure to work on yourself so you can iron out the kinks and injuries.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Applies with Boston also. Pretty sure Laptop got more hype than Lester who had command issues and didn't throw as hard as he currently does.

Thread Information