+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Ivan Nova Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    I love this kid..I have been calling him "my Nova" since he came up. I have never used the word moxie before I set eyes on this kid but he has that -- he's got a bit of swagger without being a jerk and I knew the bad spring would not deter him when he started last night. I'm so happy for him (and us) that he was so effective last night.
    Balls, big ones.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    Balls, big ones.
    yes, that's another way to put it.
    "Happiness is...a thumb and a blanket."

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    I love this kid..I have been calling him "my Nova" since he came up. I have never used the word moxie before I set eyes on this kid but he has that -- he's got a bit of swagger without being a jerk and I knew the bad spring would not deter him when he started last night. I'm so happy for him (and us) that he was so effective last night.
    I said the same thing last year - he does not get rattled and he is all business. Glad I was able to see this game. He showed us another gear last night.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Believe me, the term "moxie" hasn't been used so much in one household as it was last night. You'd think she owned the term.

What pleased me last night, was the way Nova cruised without really dominating. He looked in control without me thinking this is him at his best. You may say he showed us another gear last night but I very much doubt this was the highest gear he has. I'm always concerned when someone uses only two pitches because I worry what will happen when one of those is off. Nova has a slider, and a change, so this usual worry simply isn't there.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

No walks. That's why the hits can kind of be excused. Dude was dealing strikes like it was his job.

Is it just me or does nova remind u guys of a right handed, slightly poor version of a young andy pettite? Non over powering stuff, 6 k/9, 3bb/9, similar gamer demeanor on mound, dependable streak stopper?

Wonder why nobody has made this comparison yet

Is this just me?

Quote Originally Posted by ober0n98 View Post
    Is it just me or does nova remind u guys of a right handed, slightly poor version of a young andy pettite? Non over powering stuff, 6 k/9, 3bb/9, similar gamer demeanor on mound, dependable streak stopper?

Is this just me?
    With his slider and curve and the fact he can dial it up to 96 on both his 2 and 4 seamer I won't be surprised if he increases his K/9 ratio to 7.5-8 or so
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

NYYF MVP

My feelings have not changed about this young super star, who seems to always shine when he takes the mound. Oh yes this kid can pitch, and he keeps getting better. His fastball remains in the mid to high 90's, and he's fearless out there throwing strikes and putting batters away. He's as good as he sounds, and usually gives the Yankees a great effort an a chance to win.

This young man will be lethal when he finally perfects his secondary pitches, but for now he should do just fine with what he's got. An just to top things off he's tall and good looking which will always add to a players star power.

Quote Originally Posted by ober0n98 View Post

Is this just me?
    Had never thought about that but I can see where you are coming from. I was just thinking the other night that we're expecting Andy to be successful without a 90mph fastball nor an off speed killer pitch - although by all accounts, his slider was one of the most effective pitches during his last two years. Nova clearly throws harder at this point in their careers but I do now see a few similarities.

Quote Originally Posted by NoodleRay View Post
    My feelings have not changed about this young super star, who seems to always shine when he takes the mound. Oh yes this kid can pitch, and he keeps getting better. His fastball remains in the mid to high 90's, and he's fearless out there throwing strikes and putting batters away. He's as good as he sounds, and usually gives the Yankees a great effort an a chance to win.

This young man will be lethal when he finally perfects his secondary pitches, but for now he should do just fine with what he's got. An just to top things off he's tall and good looking which will always add to a players star power.
    I'm not willing to call him a "super star" yet simply because he hasn't done it for long enough yet, nor is he striking out ridiculous sums of hitters. Nevertheless, he is a fine example of what can happen when you give young players a chance. I hope we learn from this and give Baneulos and other young hurlers time. Our biggest mistakes over the past few years include cutting short both Hughes and Joba's starting opportunities.

Anyway, back to Nova. I'm looking for 200 innings and an ERA around the high 3s this year. If he does that then The superstar tag might be in his future.

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    Believe me, the term "moxie" hasn't been used so much in one household as it was last night. You'd think she owned the term.

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

The moxie in this thread in now on overload.

NYYF Triple Crown

"Never, never, never quit."-Winston Churchill.

Nova might be my favorite starter right now, no disrespect to CC. Nova just looks nasty and he's maturing and learning with each pitch he throws. Love it.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post

I don't own the team but he is my Nova as I call him --and I have only said that about Robinson since he came up..they are my guys.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeesfan924 View Post
    Loving all the moxie in this thread -- never knew those drinks existed. I'm enjoying Moxie on the Mound tonight.
    "Happiness is...a thumb and a blanket."

He throws hard.

He's got moxie. Also a big lead.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Gotta limit those big innings, he seems to lose rhythm and gets touched a bit.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

I need some moxie detoxie.
    Offseason, time to try optimism again.

He's been sick the last couple of days and became weaker as the game continued.

This is our future. JohnnyDamonfan's Avatar

I still love this kid. He went six innings of 4 run ball.I don't know why but I am still impressed by that. This kid really impresses me every time he went out. He was sick? I don't remember hearing that. I thought it was just one of those games. Anyone know what Hughes excuse is for going 3 innings of 6 run ball?
    Still and will always be a New England Patriots fan.

[quote=THEBOSS84]You may be my favorite poster on the site. So sweet and innocent.[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDamonfan View Post
    I still love this kid. He went six innings of 4 run ball.I don't know why but I am still impressed by that. This kid really impresses me every time he went out. He was sick? I don't remember hearing that. I thought it was just one of those games. Anyone know what Hughes excuse is for going 3 innings of 6 run ball?
    Probably because he kept attacking the strike zone.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDamonfan View Post
    I suppose there is something to be said for "limiting the damage" but his line translates to a 6 ERA. The offense essentially bailed him out.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I suppose there is something to be said for "limiting the damage" but his line translates to a 6 ERA. The offense essentially bailed him out.
    It's hard to say. It's not like he gave up 4 runs and then the offense scored 8. He was pitching with an 8-1 lead, and sometimes (especially in this era of micromanaged pitch counts) pitchers pitch to the score.

I guess you could criticize Nova from having a somewhat elevated pitch count in the first place.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

I didn't know he was ill either - they didn't mention it during the game, but I may have missed it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/16/sp...it_th_20120416
    Nova (2-0) won his 14th consecutive decision despite the lackluster performance and a cold that had him running a fever before the game.
    Nova (2-0) won his 14th consecutive decision despite the lackluster performance and a cold that had him running a fever before the game.

Girardi said he thought Nova had shown growth during the streak.

“That’s, to me, the maturation,” Girardi said. “He’s able to relax, turn the page and make a pitch to get out of the inning, and that’s why he’s been successful.”

Nova, for his part, seemed unaware of the streak.

“I don’t pay attention to that; I don’t know how many I have in a row,” he said. “I just want the ball every five days and pitch my game.”
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    It's hard to say. It's not like he gave up 4 runs and then the offense scored 8. He was pitching with an 8-1 lead, and sometimes (especially in this era of micromanaged pitch counts) pitchers pitch to the score.

I guess you could criticize Nova from having a somewhat elevated pitch count in the first place.
    What concerns me is the number of hard hit balls, line drives and fly balls in general. When he is on he's getting a lot of soft groundball outs. By no means am I trying to sound like an alarmist. I just didn't love what I saw from Nova last night. To your point, perhaps he was simply "pitching to the score".
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Thread Information