+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Granderson or Cano...whom do we keep?

I'd like to see Granderson repeat last year (or something similar) before we talk about a long term extension. 2011 was great but 2010 still happened.

NYYF Legend

Jon Heyman ‏ @JonHeymanCBS

#yankees randy levine: payroll reduction plan wont mean no cano, no granderson & no ring. @CBSSports. tinyurl.com/74od93m

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jo...-in-pinstripes

Yankee Stadium: 1923-2008 DiMaggio5CF's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    I'd like to see Granderson repeat last year (or something similar) before we talk about a long term extension. 2011 was great but 2010 still happened.
    Agreed. I'd try to sign Cano to an extension before he hits free agency.

But with Granderson, he's coming off a career year. To entertain any kind of extension now would be negotiating with him while his value is at an all-time high. I'd see what he does this upcoming year before talking about an extension.
    27-Time World Champions

NYYF MVP

Agree with those saying Cano probably won't get a huge raise, as of right now I'm expecting him to get around what Reyes got.

That said, you can't rule out the chance that he might put up ridiculous numbers in his walk year and post something like a .345/.400/.595 line. Then he could be setting himself up for a megadeal. In that scenario, I could see how it might make more sense to go with Granderson on a smaller deal if he continues to hit 30-40 homers a year.

2b is a thinner position than OF especially considering you can just move gardner to CF and fill out LF instead.
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by The Comic Book Guy View Post
    Agree with those saying Cano probably won't get a huge raise, as of right now I'm expecting him to get around what Reyes got.

That said, you can't rule out the chance that he might put up ridiculous numbers in his walk year and post something like a .345/.400/.595 line. Then he could be setting himself up for a megadeal. In that scenario, I could see how it might make more sense to go with Granderson on a smaller deal if he continues to hit 30-40 homers a year.
    I can't see him signing for less than $20M annually.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I find it hard to believe we will be letting either go but playing along I would keep Cano.

Yup. They keep both, though
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Excellent point, sir.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I can't see him signing for less than $20M annually.
    Unless he's coming off of a monster season (as in, markedly better than 2010), I don't see it unless it's for 5 years (or maybe 6/120). Even factoring in position scarcity, that's just too much money for a 31-year-old, .350 OBP guy who hits >30 HRs a year, doesn't have speed and isn't an elite defender.

Quote Originally Posted by DiMaggio5CF View Post
    I think we're talking about after next season (the 2013-2014 offseason) when both Cano and Granderson will be free agents and the Yankees are will supposedly be trying to get under the $189 million payroll mark.

So while they are both controllable for this season and next, if they both play in 2012 and 2013 the way they did in 2011, they're both likely due for raises and long-term contracts.
    Yes, but my point is that he won't be due for a gigantic raise once he's a free agent.

Yankee Stadium: 1923-2008 DiMaggio5CF's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    Yes, but my point is that he won't be due for a gigantic raise once he's a free agent.
    What's a gigantic raise to you? I think his new contract will have an AAV in the $18-22 million range.

He might not get a huge raise in the first year of his new deal, but in AAV, he'll probably get a $5 million raise over his 2013 salary. Maybe that's not gigantic, but it's certainly not small.
    27-Time World Champions

Addicted Member

If there was only one seat left on the lifeboat I'd give it to Cano. But I can't fathom the Yankees ever "not having enough money" or creativity to keep both. If Granderson maintains his game he and Cano will be back.

It's an easy question in a vacuum. Cano is younger and plays a premium position. Granderson had an amazing year last year, but unless he does that two more times, he really isn't on Cano's level. As of right now, Cano would cost more, both in terms of years and AAV. You have to take that into account when choosing which player to keep. If we can get both back at a reasonable price, I'd be estactic. But to stay under the $189 mil, we won't be able to overpay both guys.

The better question is what would you rather have:
    Cano at 8 years $180 mil
    or
    Granderson 6 years $120 mil?

EDIT: I don't want to argue specific numbers. I think we can all agree right now, that Cano should get a longer, bigger contract.

i don't think granderson is getting 120m. he's in the 17-19 range.
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    i don't think granderson is getting 120m. he's in the 17-19 range.
    I just threw those numbers out there as an example. My point was that you can't just say you would rather have Cano, because that really isn't an argument at this point in time. He's going to be more expensive and you have to account for that.

This is a non-issue. Cano is younger, plays a tougher position to fill with a premium player, and will justify 20 MM a year a lot easier than Curtis can.

Granderson may stick around if his salary demands are reasonable. If he's asking to be paid 20 million a year, he can test FA. The rest of the league is well aware that the spike in his production is due in large part to his home stadium and the people behind him in the lineup.

That said, Curtis is an amazing player and a great clubhouse guy. I love the way he addresses the media and I would love for him to spend a few more years here. But I wouldn't trip over myself to make sure he sticks around.
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

Quote Originally Posted by The Comic Book Guy View Post

You expect him them to let him walk after putting up such an obscene triple-slash? He's easily topping nine-figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    Keep both! Find the money.
    Agree, 100%

Devoted Member

The Yankees may not even want Granderson after 2013. I'll worry about it then. I certainly wouldn't be willing to shell out $15 mil + for 4 or 5 years to Grandy.
    Plays the game the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigi Buffon View Post
    The Yankees may not even want Granderson after 2013. I'll worry about it then. I certainly wouldn't be willing to shell out $15 mil + for 4 or 5 years to Grandy.
    You wouldn't do 4/$60MM for Granderson?

NYYF Legend

If forced to make a choice now..Cano, but let's see what they do this year. I suspect Cano will still be Cano (maybe even better), but Grandy will come back to earth a little.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    You wouldn't do 4/$60MM for Granderson?
    I'd toss in a bj for Granderson if he'd let us sign him for that. I mean, CASHMAN would toss in a bj.

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    I'd toss in a bj for Granderson if he'd let us sign him for that. I mean, CASHMAN would toss in a bj.
    This is about on par with certain posters saying things like 3/$45MM for Wilson this offseason would have been an overpay.

How many teams in all of baseball wouldn't sign Granderson to a 4/$60MM contract?

Trade Cano for a kings ransom of pitchers.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    Trade Cano for a kings ransom of pitchers.
    It would be quite interesting if the Yankees would start getting into these kinds of deals with players they figure they're going to lose. I'm not used to this.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Thread Information