+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: What is your favorite song played at The Stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post

Sorry for the thread derail, I went on a nostalgia run here....
    How can you forget Jorgen Ingmann and His Guitar (yes, that's his official stagename) and his rendition of Apache? They still play that as bumper music. Of course The Shadows did it first but that's another story.

And there's always Tequila by the Champs.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

And it pains me to read in here that the Yankees use the Bobby Darin version of Sunday in New York and not the Mel Torme version.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    How can you forget Jorgen Ingmann and His Guitar (yes, that's his official stagename) and his rendition of Apache? They still play that as bumper music. Of course The Shadows did it first but that's another story.

Both worthy classics of the genre, indeed.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

Three other big instrumentals from the 60s:
    (Sorry, no matter how many times I've tried to embed a video, I get weird messages from my older MacBook, so I'm just posting the YouTube links.)

Booker T & the M G 's - Green Onions

Young Holt Unlimited - Soulful Strut

And my personal favorite, which was the go-to song for our high school band.
    Cliff Nobles & Co. - The Horse

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Technically that wasn't strictly an instrumental given that it had lyrics.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    And my personal favorite, which was the go-to song for our high school band.
    Cliff Nobles & Co. - The Horse
    Definitely a "go-to" song for my high school band too. Here's the video (such as it is):

I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

The Herb Alpert one was a hoot. I was half expecting Jim Lange to tell me I had to pick between bachelorettes #1, #2 and #3.

A couple from the beach genre:

Offseason, time to try optimism again.

There weren't very many, I'd say less than one per year through the 60's that had good runs in the Top 10.
    "Love Is Blue" spent 5 weeks at #1. Hard to imagine...

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

As to the actual thread topic: if I ever get hold of a time machine, I will use it to prevent Chicago from ever recording "Saturday In The Park."
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

My time just before the game is the best song
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

I'll also add Robert Merrill's recording of "The Star-Spangled Banner" as a favorite.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    As to the actual thread topic: if I ever get hold of a time machine, I will use it to prevent Chicago from ever recording "Saturday In The Park."
    If I ever get hold of a time machine, I'll kill Hitler.

Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman View Post
    If I ever get hold of a time machine, I'll kill Hitler.
    Godwin strikes again.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Godwin strikes again.
    ...an especially dramatic demonstration. Stadium music...oldie instrumentals...time machine....HITLER!!

Love is Blue, along with Bobby Goldsboro's Honey, instilled a lifelong hatred of AM radio music. The invention of 'underground' FM changed my life around 1969.

Here is another instrumental torture track (nine weeks at #1 in 1960--all-time record for an instrumental):
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Godwin strikes again.
    Yeah but if I kill Hitler young enough, you won't even know who Godwin is. So your post is meaningless.

Yeah but if I kill Hitler young enough, you won't even know who Godwin is. So your post is meaningless.
    I won't know who Hitler is, either. But I'll still have to listen to "Saturday In The Park," and I'll blame you.
    - Barry Manilow

Here is another instrumental torture track (nine weeks at #1 in 1960--all-time record for an instrumental):
    Early '60s music often has a way of showing you why the Beatles were so desperately needed.

I mean, were people actually walking into record stores in 1960 and asking for a copy of "Theme from A Summer Place"? Sheesh.

I won't know who Hitler is, either. But I'll still have to listen to "Saturday In The Park," and I'll blame you.
    TBH, you're the first person I've ever heard of who has strong feelings about that song one way or the other. It's not widely despised, like Durk's aforementioned "Honey," nor universally beloved, like "Swingin' the Alphabet." It's just kind of there.

NYYF MVP

No, he had it right, it's not the song you think it is. Jay-Z, not Billy Joel.
    Ah, got it, thanks!

NYYF MVP

Here is another instrumental torture track (nine weeks at #1 in 1960--all-time record for an instrumental)]

Don't hate me guys but "A Summer Place" is in my top 10 of all time (sentimental reasons.)

TBH, you're the first person I've ever heard of who has strong feelings about that song one way or the other. It's not widely despised, like Durk's aforementioned "Honey," nor universally beloved, like "Swingin' the Alphabet." It's just kind of there.
    My strong feelings about it have strictly to do with the subject of Stadium music. I've been to a great many Saturday games.

The lyrics to "Honey" are so awful I almost treasure them. It's this remarkable collection of non sequiturs from one mentally challenged person to another.

Unfortunately, Durk, by the mid-70s FM radio - while still much better than AM - also played the same crap over and over and over. Dreamweaver. More Than A Feeling. Rhiaaaaaaannnnnnon...
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Unfortunately, Durk, by the mid-70s FM radio - while still much better than AM - also played the same crap over and over and over. Dreamweaver. More Than A Feeling. Rhiaaaaaaannnnnnon...
    Didn't matter. In 1976, I got a real job, and just started living in my musical past. Moved to Brazil in 1980, and found that music had died by the time I got back in 1992. Fortunately, the Yankees were about to come back to life.

There was a lot of good music in Brazil in those years, I'm happy to say.

The lyrics to "Honey" are so awful I almost treasure them. It's this remarkable collection of non sequiturs from one mentally challenged person to another.
    When I was a kid, one of my first attempts at being creative was a song parody of "Honey." It had been away from the charts a few years by then but was still notorious in our family because my mom liked it and I had a few hipster older sisters who hated it. I don't remember most of what I wrote but the one snippet I retain is, when Bobby Goldsboro sings "Came runnin' in all excited/Slipped and almost hurt herself/And I laughed till I cried", my version went "Came runnin' in all excited/Slipped and fell and broke her neck/And I laughed till I cried."

My sisters loved it. My mom started looking around for a good child psychologist.

I actually remember those first two as AM staples more so than FM, but either way, the fact is that in the late 1970s, you had a fighting chance of hearing some innovative punk/new wave on FM. You sure as hell weren't going to get that from Dan Ingram on WABC or Big Wilson on WNBC.

When I was a kid, one of my first attempts at being creative was a song parody of "Honey." It had been away from the charts a few years by then but was still notorious in our family because my mom liked it and I had a few hipster older sisters who hated it. I don't remember most of what I wrote but the one snippet I retain is, when Bobby Goldsboro sings "Came runnin' in all excited/Slipped and almost hurt herself/And I laughed till I cried", my version went "Came runnin' in all excited/Slipped and fell and broke her neck/And I laughed till I cried."

My sisters loved it. My mom started looking around for a good child psychologist.

I actually remember those first two as AM staples more so than FM, but either way, the fact is that in the late 1970s, you had a fighting chance of hearing some innovative punk/new wave on FM. You sure as hell weren't going to get that from Dan Ingram on WABC or Big Wilson on WNBC.
    Can't argue with that. Nor with your mother's quest for a good child psychologist.
    - Barry Manilow

Fabolous- It's my time

The Rocky "Win" theme music
    When that came on in game 2 of the 2009 ALCS, you just knew you were going to see magic.

Thread Information