+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2012 New York Jets Thread

A Music station using YardBarker as a source? You should know better. You probably do.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    A Music station using YardBarker as a source? You should know better. You probably do.
    Everyone knows Yadbarker is a premiere sports insider resource. In fact, it's where Incarcerated Bob gets most of his information. It can't be wrong!

NYYF Legend

Even though he wants out, he would be silly to express his feeling at this time.

NYYF Legend

The "The Jets might move up to take Richardson" nonsensical rumors have started based on Richardson confirming that the team had been in touch with him this past weekend to make sure they had his correct contact info in case the traded up for him.

I LOVE T-Rich. I buy into the reports that have him as a generational-ish RB (maybe not transcendent, but a can't miss, multi-purpose, bell-cow RB.

I just see no way they can trade up for him when they're already limited on picks, and have glaring needs at rush end (OLB/DE), safety, gaurd, and WR. It's a longshot to fill those holes now, nevermind if they traded the small fortune it would take to get up to 3rd/4th from 16.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    The "The Jets might move up to take Richardson" nonsensical rumors have started based on Richardson confirming that the team had been in touch with him this past weekend to make sure they had his correct contact info in case the traded up for him.

I LOVE T-Rich. I buy into the reports that have him as a generational-ish RB (maybe not transcendent, but a can't miss, multi-purpose, bell-cow RB.

I just see no way they can trade up for him when they're already limited on picks, and have glaring needs at rush end (OLB/DE), safety, gaurd, and WR. It's a longshot to fill those holes now, nevermind if they traded the small fortune it would take to get up to 3rd/4th from 16.
    I thought we had all of our picks except one. I know we got 3 or 4 supplemental picks.

Edit: We have a pick every round except the fourth and have 2 extra 6th rounders and 7th rounders. So, it breaks down like this.....

1/16
    2/47
    3/77
    5/154
    6/187
    6/202
    6/203
    7/232
    7/242
    7/244

I guess being backloaded isn't sexy, but Tanenbaum and Co. are really going to have to put in some work finding some diamonds back there.
    Last edited by just-blaze; 04-25-12 at 06:46 PM.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Quinton Coples, DE, UNC

NYYF HOF

Ehh coples has bust written all over him

That's impressive analysis. He's a Jet for a few minutes & he's already being pegged as a bust.

My gut tells me this is a mistake. But Rex loves everything about Coples, and he also saw right through Gholston from the very beginning.

I guess I'm cautiously optimistic. Coples is an incredible talent.

I'm hearing people say he might not be a good fit in the 3-4 (think Jon Vilma). Who knows if thats true....I really never saw him play at UNC.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    I'm hearing people say he might not be a good fit in the 3-4 (think Jon Vilma). Who knows if thats true....I really never saw him play at UNC.
    He played pashrushing NT at UNC when he had his massive junior year, so he'll be just fine as a 3-4 DE according to most analysis (including Rex, who said that no, he's not going to be a standup DE/OLB hybrid type.)

AM makes the most comforting point about the motor questions with him: Rex has openly killed the Gholston selection, saying he never would have picked Gholston - that he was all workout warrior and no skills/passion. That the same guy loved Coples gives me some solid confidence that he's not going to bust for the same reasons as Gholston.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Jon Vilma? He is nothing close to him in any respect really.

Coples is more of a traditional DE in a 4-3 and that is why some are saying that, but Snatch is right in his evaluation of him.

Id rather of had Ingram, and Im not a fan of "taking a year off" for whatever reason he had, because that's kinda what he did, but when it comes to this particular part of the team, I definitely trust Ryan in his belief.

2nd rounder Stephen Hill, WR, GT

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    2nd rounder Stephen Hill, WR, GT
    This guy is a SERIOUSLY freaky athlete, who supposedly is already a very good run blocker.

3rd rounder, Demario Davis, ILB, Arkansas State

Well, if anything, the Jets will at least be a much faster and athletic team next year.

I'm really not sure how to feel about this draft. I'm not used to the Jets putting such a premium on athletic freaks. They took three of them. This feels a little like a Raiders draft.

I was really disappointed they didn't take Massie in the 3rd, but the more I read about Davis, the more I love. He sounds a lot like a young Bart Scott. I still think we could have traded down and got him plus an extra pick, but maybe not.

It makes a lot of sense if you trust in Rex Ryan's charisma and ability to bring out the best in his players.

Thought the Jets should have taken Ingram in Rd 1. We'll see whether Coples was a great pick or not within 2-3 years. He has motivation issues.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/s...sons-adds-rice

That came a day after Joey Clinkscales, the Jets' vice president of college scouting, loosely compared Hill's size, speed and height to that of Johnson -- which is why New York traded up four spots with Seattle to make sure they got him.
    Is that name for real?

Otherwise, he (Hill) looks to fit right in here.

6th round, Jets have 3 picks

First one is Josh Bush, S, Wake Forest
    Second is Terrance Ganaway, RB, Baylor
    Third is Robert T. Griffin, G, Baylor

I'm fairly happy with the draft. I think that Coples and Hill probably have more potential than anyone in this draft at their respective positions, though I think they're both big boom/bust guys. Hill obviously isn't nearly as polished as many of the other receivers, but I think his ceiling is pretty much unlimited, so I love getting a guy like him in round 2 who has the tools to become a truly elite receiver, even if there's much work to be done to get him anywhere near that. That height paired with that vertical and that 40 time, though. Eek.

I think Coples' ceiling is really high, too, but it's obviously a bit more risky with all of the question marks to take him in Round 1, especially with the likely safer Ingram still on the board. I'm hoping that his supposed motivation issues were more of a fear of getting injured in his senior year and losing his money than an indication of a long term trend. I think that both of those picks will probably either look brilliant or like a total waste a few years down the line.

NYYF Legend

I don't buy the conventional wisdom that Coples is a "boom/bust" guy. I think that is much more applicable to Hill.

The guy is probably not the most intense and motivated guy in the world, but given his top-notch college production AND scouted skills, I don't feel like the bust potential in the pick is even remotely as significant as the media would have us fear.

That the guy had a massive junior season playing at NT and was the 2nd rated prospect on most people's boards following the 2011 draft, then moved positions, had his entire team pulled out from under him, lost his head coach, and was trying to adjust/figure out what the hell was going on, leaves me with not nearly the worry of him busting over this reputation as beeing lazy and or uncommitted.

NYYF Legend

According to NFL Network, the Steelers had a draft-day trade in place with the New York Jets to move up to No. 16, one spot ahead of the Bengals, and take DeCastro.

The Jets were reportedly willing to fall back to the Steelers' spot at No. 24 to get pass-rushing defensive linemen Bruce Irvin or Quinton Coples. Once the Seahawks surprisingly chose Irvin at No. 15, the Jets backed out of the trade with the Steelers and drafted Coples, NFL Network reported.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...anted-decastro

Interesting. Not sure how the Jets fans think about it. But as a Steelers fan I need to say a big thank you to Pete Carroll.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...anted-decastro

Interesting. Not sure how the Jets fans think about it. But as a Steelers fan I need to say a big thank you to Pete Carroll.
    I KNEW IT!!! The way the draft was going, teams were waiting in line to announce their picks. All of a sudden, Carroll picked Irvin and the Jets were taking the full 5.

"Why were they taking so long? Coples or Ingram. Who do you have rated higher? ....unless? They wanted Irvin?"

My exact thoughts.

Manish Mehta @TheJetsStream Jets have come to terms on a 4-year deal with RB Terrance Ganaway, per source. #nyj

Thread Information