+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 98 FirstFirst ... 8 48 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 68 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 2448
  1. #1426

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by madjack View Post
    It's pretty simple. If we didn't have to pay Teixeira a fcukton of money, then we would have more to spend on other needs, in light of the new self imposed salary cap that we will have.


    That's why his salary is relevant to any discussion on him.
    I don't think people understand or believe that there is a de facto salary cap coming. For nearly twenty years, the Yankees never made any decisions that were based significantly on payroll and it's completely foreign to many to think that a player's production needs to be adjusted for salary when evaluating overall performance.

  2. #1427

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    I think you guys think too much of his salary
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

  3. #1428

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    I think you guys think too much of his salary
    Yeah, I know. You already said earlier this year that you wouldn't let him go right now to any team willing to take on his salary. Presumably, you think the $22.5m every year for the next four years couldn't be better spent elsewhere.

  4. #1429

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by madjack View Post
    It's pretty simple. If we didn't have to pay Teixeira a fcukton of money, then we would have more to spend on other needs, in light of the new self imposed salary cap that we will have.


    That's why his salary is relevant to any discussion on him.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421
    a player's production needs to be adjusted for salary when evaluating overall performance.
    That doesn't make any sense. His performance is what it is, regardless of his salary, regardless of the team's payroll, regardless of the team's financial ability to address whatever needs exist on the roster. It's pretty simple. Whether or not a level of performance is commensurate with the salary paid for it is separate from the actual level of performance. That said, whining is fun for some, so there you go.

  5. #1430

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    That doesn't make any sense. His performance is what it is, regardless of his salary, regardless of the team's payroll, regardless of the team's financial ability to address whatever needs exist on the roster. It's pretty simple. Whether or not a level of performance is commensurate with the salary paid for it is separate from the actual level of performance. That said, whining is fun for some, so there you go.
    We're just thinking on a different level than you. You see his performance on the field and are happy with it. Those who are looking at it as contribution to the team, as adjusted to how much of the team's resources he is consuming, reach a different conclusion.

  6. #1431

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    If Tex was showing a hint of the player he was in 2009, his salary would hardly even be talked about. The same goes for any player making huge money & severely under performing. Not sure why some people are acting like this is some strange new train of thought.

  7. #1432

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    If Tex was showing a hint of the player he was in 2009, his salary would hardly even be talked about. The same goes for any player making huge money & severely under performing. Not sure why some people are acting like this is some strange new train of thought.
    Because for many Yankee fans, particularly of a certain age, they have never seen the consequences of bad contracts. They see that Tex has 23 home runs and has a good glove and say, "hey, what's the issue? From July 7 through two days ago, he was one of the most productive first basemen in the league."

    That's all they see.

  8. #1433

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    Because for many Yankee fans, particularly of a certain age, they have never seen the consequences of bad contracts. They see that Tex has 23 home runs and has a good glove and say, "hey, what's the issue? From July 7 through two days ago, he was one of the most productive first basemen in the league."

    That's all they see.

    Playing up to one's contract in the mega-deal, mega-year era is different than before. In the bad old days we would soon to be rid of, if not already, a bad contract. Currently we're 4 and 5 years into two of the worst looking Yankee contracts, yet we're only half through each of them.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd



  9. #1434
    NYYF MVP


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bronx

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Madjack you got it backwards. Yes his performance as it relates to his salary is relevant in a discussion about the Yankee payroll, composition and flexibility. It does not follow that the Yankee payroll is relevant in a discussion about Mark Teixeira's 2012 performance never mind that it should be the focus of this discussion.

  10. #1435
    NYYF MVP


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bronx

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    Because for many Yankee fans, particularly of a certain age, they have never seen the consequences of bad contracts. They see that Tex has 23 home runs and has a good glove and say, "hey, what's the issue? From July 7 through two days ago, he was one of the most productive first basemen in the league."

    That's all they see.

    You think these people frequent online Yankee forums?

    Nobody here needs to be educated about the effects of big contracts on the payroll. The issue is whether the discussion of the team's payroll flexibility should be the focus of a particular player's performance thread to the point where people are arguing that performance can only ever be viewed through the prism of salary and payroll.

  11. #1436

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    Currently we're 4 and 5 years into two of the worst looking Yankee contracts, yet we're only half through each of them.
    That is as true as it is discouraging.

  12. #1437

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by K-W View Post
    You think these people frequent online Yankee forums?

    Nobody here needs to be educated about the effects of big contracts on the payroll. The issue is whether the discussion of the team's payroll flexibility should be the focus of a particular player's performance thread to the point where people are arguing that performance can only ever be viewed through the prism of salary and payroll.
    Yes, I do. Earlier this year, on this very thread, there was a discussion about whether or not the Yankees would simply let Tex go right now to a team willing to take him and his contract. It is essentially a hypothetical question, given Tex's no trade clause and the difficulty of doing that in the middle of the season. However, to the basic questions, some said yes and others said no. To me, anybody saying 'no' to that question doesn't appreciate what the payroll implications are and how it can effect others.

    Look at the Red Sox this year...letting Scutaro go to save $6million (plus whatever payroll tax went with that). Certainly, the Red sox have much bigger problems than Mike Aviles, but as the sox have always operated pretty close to the Yankees, this move will prove to be a harbinger of things to come in the bronx.

    As the Yankees are now joining all the other teams in baseball in having to make trade-offs on payroll, Tex is a prime example of somebody who is going to make it challenging for them. Still a pretty good player, but with a contract that makes his overall contribution o the team's competitive standing a neutral at best one and probably a net negative. That isn't his fault, of course. he still puts up solid numbers as a middle of the order first baseman, but he's not an All-Star, he's easily not top five at his position, and we may very well be beginning to see the end of his extremely durable qualities. If he ends up with a .330 obp and 30 home runs this year, he's obviously still contributing to wins above an average random first baseman, but not at the rate that the $22.5m a year should yield.

  13. #1438
    NYYF MVP


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bronx

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    The payroll is an issue much larger than Texiera and his 2012 salary is based on his contract it has no direct relationship to his 2012 performance. If there are people on this forum unaware of the Yankees need to get the payroll under control, something covered throughout the online, television and print media for years, they are rare and probably not worth worrying about. There is no need to constantly complain about his salary on this thread. It adds nothing to the discussion and it is openly being used as an excuse to exaggerate his decline.

  14. #1439

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by K-W View Post
    The payroll is an issue much larger than Texiera and his 2012 salary is based on his contract it has no direct relationship to his 2012 performance. If there are people on this forum unaware of the Yankees need to get the payroll under control, something covered throughout the online, television and print media for years, they are rare and probably not worth worrying about. There is no need to constantly complain about his salary on this thread. It adds nothing to the discussion and it is openly being used as an excuse to exaggerate his decline.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

  15. #1440

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Not allowed to talk about his salary....not allowed to talk about his declining production...

  16. #1441
    NYYF Legend

    montrealer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Saint Anicet,Quebec

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Another white elephant in the room..........lockerroom is gonna get crowed......

    "Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

  17. #1442
    Addicted Member
    madjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Not allowed to talk about his salary....not allowed to talk about his declining production...
    I think he has great hair.

  18. #1443

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    That he does.

  19. #1444
    NYYF Legend

    montrealer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Saint Anicet,Quebec

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Horse teeth......

    "Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

  20. #1445

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    He said no need to constantly complain. Which is what happens.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

  21. #1446
    NYYF MVP


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bronx

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Not allowed to talk about his salary....not allowed to talk about his declining production...
    I argued that his salary has little relevance to his 2012 performance and shouldn't be the focus of a discussion about his production. I think the implication is clear that we should be discussing his production and his salary is of some relevance.
    Last edited by K-W; 08-19-12 at 08:10 PM.

  22. #1447

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    He said no need to constantly complain. Which is what happens.
    As someone who refuses to acknowledge any of Tex's faults, what do you propose? Letting this thread die by not saying anything until he finally strings together some consistency? That could take a while. He was expected to play a huge role in this offense (not just one year) & whether you guys like it or not, people are going to justly criticize him for not being the guy they signed him to be.

  23. #1448

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    He said no need to constantly complain. Which is what happens.
    Snapple, I don't see many on here who don't at least try to offer a balanced perspective on Tex. You seem to think that I'm one of the constant critics of Tex, but if you actually read what I say, I've said many times that he doesn't 'stink' and that he's better than the average player.

    But there are serious issues with him when relying on him to be anything close to the best overall offensive player on the team, which I think was a reasonable expectation when he was signed and I think is a reasonable expectation as he is a first baseman and is a reasonable expectation when he hits in the middle of the lineup.

    And i still don't understand why it isn't useful to factor in his salary as one of the main components of the conversation. There are finite dollars that can be spent on the payroll, and by all most accounts, the number of dollars is about to fall. Nobody blames the guy for taking the money, and I haven't seen anybody say he's not professional and doesn't seem to give a full effort.

    And, really, you're the one who is the 'constant' anything. You're constantly talking about how he 'rakes' and how good he is and how tough it is to play sick and all this stuff....I mean, that's your right to see nothing but the good in the guy, but why aren't the rest of us allowed to discuss the shortcomings we see?

    When you think about it, there aren't that many guys on the Yankees who are truly overpaid in the sense that they aren't producing against the level of their contracts. Tex is one of the few who can easily be considered by most to be overpaid and to whom the team is overcommitted. Arod is the other. And so both attract a lot of conversation....it's not a personal attack and I don't see how it's unreasonable.

  24. #1449
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    While Tex is still putting up decent numbers, he is hardly putting up numbers that we signed him for. I don't think anyone is calling him a bum.
    Life is good!

  25. #1450
    NYYF Legend

    2JAY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Lexington Ky

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Any news on Teixeira if he is a go tonight?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts