+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 98 FirstFirst ... 41 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 2448

Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Comic Book Guy View Post
    Over 50% of the guy's hits go for extra bases. His BB% is still over 10% (and his strikeouts are actually down, not that that means a lot, it's just weird).

Basically he hits less singles. I can live with that.
    Maybe because of the shift?
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

He already has more opposite field homers this year than last year (1, that I recall)
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Maybe because of the shift?
    I think that's a big part of it. I think this year, specifically, luck probably plays into it as well. His flyball rate is down, he's hitting way less pop-ups compared the last few years. I'm going to go out on a little bit of a limb and say that he sustains his good hitting through the next month and a half or so and ends the season with a BA around .275-.280

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    I fully admit I don't have the handle on the numbers that others do on here...you being a prime example.

But what you say about wRC+ is pretty close to my impression of Tex. At the floor of 'excellent' offensive production. But as a first baseman, being at the 'floor' puts him pretty much squarely in my categorization of what I think he basically is...slightly above average.

His defense, unquestionably, is excellent. Somewhere in the top five is what I would say...but that's observational and not numbers based. Perhaps it's my age that I remember in the 80's screaming that first base was underrated as a defensive position and now I'm screaming that it's overrated.

I know people think I'm fixated totally on Tex. It's not Tex, himself...it's the kind of signing that Tex was. Not his fault, but his signing occured just as a fundamental change was underway. And I'm not playing Monday morning quarterback as i fully and completely admit that i thought it was a great signing at the time.
    above average offense with excellent defense together usually mean an excellent player. In Teixeira's case, it means he's No. 4 in WAR among 1Bs in MLB, just ahead of Prince Fielder.

Love this thread.
    You know they are not real pies, right?

"I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

Not that we need daily updates on this stuff, but he's trending up relative to other 1B.

He's now 6th in MLB 1B (excluding Dunn, who is primarily a DH) in wRC+. Again, not up to par with his contract but hopefully he keeps producing as he has of late.

As far as WAR goes, he is now 3rd amongst all MLB 1B, behind only Votto and Encarnacion.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Not that we need daily updates on this stuff, but he's trending up relative to other 1B.

He's now 6th in MLB 1B (excluding Dunn, who is primarily a DH) in wRC+. Again, not up to par with his contract but hopefully he keeps producing as he has of late.

As far as WAR goes, he is now 3rd amongst all MLB 1B, behind only Votto and Encarnacion.
    I'd just say second. Votto has the bad-knee-itis.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    I'd just say second. Votto has the bad-knee-itis.
    Votto's WAR is 4.9 while Teixeira's WAR is 2.4. Even if Votto won't play any game this season, Teixeira may still not be able to catch him up.

oh, I was joking.

Yankees paid a high price for something they needed badly.

A great 1b who had a steady track record.

He plays the best 1b in the majors.

He yearly puts up top league numbers (RBI, RUNS, HOMERUNS). He produces every...single year.

He rarely misses a game and really plays the game the way you love to see. He works hard, goes hard, never takes anything for granted and never gives you anything but the best.

He has produced for several years already for the Yankees and now that he is playing his game instead of listening to lolfans and everyone else seems to be turning it around this year. He leads the team in a very important catagory in RBI's. But because he looks bad at the plate at times and dosen't hit those 20 singles he used to because of the shift, he sucks, apparently.

I can't say enough how important this guys defense is, not just this UZR or any stat you want to through to measure defense.

I see the opposition lose simply by a bad pick, or a ball past the firstbaseman giving extra an extra base(s). I see him turn two better than anyone ever has from 1b or make a perfect through to second in a close game to keep an important run from getting into scoring position time after time. Runs that would score a good amount of the time. Through WAR at me but when I see Tex save the lead/game/whatever by a through nobody else makes alone several times a year.... He's worth more than some of these WAR numbers I see tossed around times two.

Yes, the Yankees paid a lot to get this guy. Who else would they have acquired? You pay when you have a need, you overpay for several reasons with this guy.
    You know they are not real pies, right?

"I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

NYYF MVP

The whole point of a big mufti-year contract is the team taking on the risk of decline or injury and the money is dispersed over the years in ways that benefit the team and the player's finances. The money they are being paid this year or any year has nothing to do with that year in particular, they already made that money when they signed the contract this is just a scheduled payment. You evaluate a contract when they sign the player based on how they did in the market and whether it was an efficient use of their budget. Player's performances do not need to be constantly compared to their salary.

NYYF MVP

Which is to say discussions about player's contracts should probably show up less in player threads and more in Cashman or Yankee organization threads. The budget is the issue when we took on a risk that goes bad. The athlete should just be evaluated as an athlete.

putting together a great July

Adding a triple slash or some metrics would be greatly appreciate.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Per BR over the last 28 days:

Tex is hitting, .315/.416/.658 with 6 HRs 13 RBIs and almost as many walks (12) as Ks (13).

NYYF MVP

.286/.386/.583 (.277 BABiP) after sitting a couple days in May to recover from the bronchial infection (he came back May 20). Only Pujols and Votto have been better at 1B in that span.

.286/.386/.583 (.277 BABiP) after sitting a couple days in May to recover from the bronchial infection (he came back May 20). Only Pujols and Votto have been better at 1B in that span.
    that looks more like his career line.

NYYF Legend

He would be a perennial MVP if he could just eliminate those ................ty Aprils
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

.315/.416/.658 over his last 21 games.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    .315/.416/.658 over his last 21 games.
    ElDandy beat you to the punch.

slightly above average player playing over his head
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    slightly above average player playing over his head
    Either that or he really did know what he was talking about when he said screw it, I'm going to pull everything.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

pull everything ................ yea
    always reasonable

I think we can all agree, Tex is a really good first baseman, and many teams would be very happy to have him, but he's overpaid.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    but he's overpaid.
    let me stop ya there. He's no Barry Zito or Vernon Wells. I think he's paid enough

Thread Information