+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 98 FirstFirst ... 16 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 36 76 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    If he's not even willing to drop a bunt down once in a while, he's not going to stop switch-hitting.
    as grizy said he is probably pressing quite hard in a game of reflex and instincts. the approach change will mean he has to actively change quite a bit of the pull outside changeup habits. i think it would be easier to just hit righthanded.

of course i am making this argument because i am curious about how switch hitting actually works.
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    What's ludicrous is your postings.
    Have you READ yours?

He carried the Yankees offensively for stretches in 2009, and even though he didn't hit a lot in the postseason, he did have the walk off HR against the Twins that year. For these, he deserves much credit. He has, unfortunately, been disappointing offensively since then, and too often looks lost from the left side. I really don't know what the Yankees can do to fix this. He is a player in decline who is not movable because of his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    as grizy said he is probably pressing quite hard in a game of reflex and instincts. the approach change will mean he has to actively change quite a bit of the pull outside changeup habits. i think it would be easier to just hit righthanded.

of course i am making this argument because i am curious about how switch hitting actually works.
    I do agree that dropping the switch hitting couldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by bomber999 View Post
    He carried the Yankees offensively for stretches in 2009, and even though he didn't hit a lot in the postseason, he did have the walk off HR against the Twins that year. For these, he deserves much credit. He has, unfortunately, been disappointing offensively since then, and too often looks lost from the left side. I really don't know what the Yankees can do to fix this. He is a player in decline who is not movable because of his contract.
    I was saying before the season that they would be wise to try to trade him. I said it again about a month ago. At this point, though, it's impossible, as you suggest. We're stuck with him for four years after this one.

I was saying before the season that they would be wise to try to trade him. I said it again about a month ago. At this point, though, it's impossible, as you suggest. We're stuck with him for four years after this one.
    Einstein, he has a full no-trade clause.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Einstein, he has a full no-trade clause.
    I know he has a no-trade clause. People can get traded with no-trade clauses if they agree to waive the no-trade clause.

it has to be in writing, but it can be done.

Under typical circumstances, longterm and big $$$ FA contracts involve a team largely paying for what someone has done in the past and paying big $$$$ for decline years. In Tex's case, the disappointing aspect is that the Yankees were rightfully expecting a couple more elite offensive years before the decline set in. Tex's contract probably will help cost us one of Granderson and Cano.

I know he has a no-trade clause. People can get traded with no-trade clauses if they agree to waive the no-trade clause.

it has to be in writing, but it can be done.
    As bad as hes been this is a gross overreaction. If he was to be traded the yankees would be looking at nothing in return and probably paying a ton of whats still owed to him. Even at his worst hes probably still good for 25-30 homers and 90 RBIs thats not worth 20 mill a year but its worth more to us than the scenario I just described.
    If you listen to the fans youll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

Quote Originally Posted by R.V.47 View Post
    As bad as hes been this is a gross overreaction. If he was to be traded the yankees would be looking at nothing in return and probably paying a ton of whats still owed to him. Even at his worst hes probably still good for 25-30 homers and 90 RBIs thats not worth 20 mill a year but its worth more to us than the scenario I just described.
    Well, I agree. they can't move him. They'd have to pay somebody for a good part of his salary for anybody to take him, and they certainly wouldn't get any decent players in return.

NYYF Cy Young

When A-Rod was going through rough times in his first few years as a Yankee, he was getting pummeled by media, by fans and even by high and mighty Joe Torre. Even then A-Rod had a much much better production then this guy Tex. Another thing which bothers me he is always blaming some kind of illness and giving statements like "I carried this team when A-Rod was injured last year" , "Just look at the back of my baseball card" .
    Hes one of those guys you dream about at night, you know? Not in a good way, in a bad way. ............Damon on AJ .

Mystique , Aura and Kate Hudson .

NYYF Cy Young

Some could argue that his defense can save a run a game. However, his offense is terrible. I know that Joe is not going to bench him. But why not move him down in the line up?. let him bat 7or 8th. let him earn his way back up in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by iWant27 View Post
    giving statements like "I carried this team when A-Rod was injured last year" , "Just look at the back of my baseball card" .
    Did he really say these things?
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

Off To Never Never Land Mr.Muhozi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iWant27 View Post
    When A-Rod was going through rough times in his first few years as a Yankee, he was getting pummeled by media, by fans and even by high and mighty Joe Torre. Even then A-Rod had a much much better production then this guy Tex. Another thing which bothers me he is always blaming some kind of illness and giving statements like "I carried this team when A-Rod was injured last year" , "Just look at the back of my baseball card" .
    Wasn't A-rod failing in the post-season and beasting in the regular?

Tex has been failing on both ends for quite a while now and his deterioration shows no sign of stopping unfortunately.

Whether it is luck, stubbornness, illness, dwindling ability or whatever I just want the 2009 Tex back.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi View Post
    Wasn't A-rod failing in the post-season and beasting in the regular?

Tex has been failing on both ends for quite a while now and his deterioration shows no sign of stopping unfortunately.

Whether it is luck, stubbornness, illness, dwindling ability or whatever I just want the 2009 Tex back.
    He's not coming back, but people don't agree. I say he's slightly above average and half the board it seems like howls and says I don't know what I'm talking about.

Off To Never Never Land Mr.Muhozi's Avatar

He's not coming back, but people don't agree. I say he's slightly above average and half the board it seems like howls and says I don't know what I'm talking about.
    Don't be alarmed that people don't share the same pessimistic outlook as you. Tex is far from just an "above-average player". What he is however is a very talented player who is under-performing beyond belief. For what ever reason he is, don't limit Tex's abilities by calling him above-average.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

He'll put it together.

Awy, I switch hit (natural righty). Now, I know I can't speak for Tex because he's 100000000000000000000000x the ball player I am. But, when I swing left handed, it's very easy to uppercut the swing. It takes a lot of practice to correct that (again, for me). It just is easy to uppercut when your dominant arm is leading. If you guys want to, try swinging with opposite what you normally do. Typing from my phone so I'm not going back to fix that .

I just can't stand slamming a player without offering solutions. If it gets bad enough, you know Long/Girardi/Cash lr someone is going to step in and say it needs to change.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    He'll put it together.

Awy, I switch hit (natural righty). Now, I know I can't speak for Tex because he's 100000000000000000000000x the ball player I am. But, when I swing left handed, it's very easy to uppercut the swing. It takes a lot of practice to correct that (again, for me). It just is easy to uppercut when your dominant arm is leading. If you guys want to, try swinging with opposite what you normally do. Typing from my phone so I'm not going back to fix that .

I just can't stand slamming a player without offering solutions. If it gets bad enough, you know Long/Girardi/Cash lr someone is going to step in and say it needs to change.
    ..can't be that far away.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by mitch300 View Post
    Some could argue that his defense can save a run a game. However, his offense is terrible. I know that Joe is not going to bench him. But why not move him down in the line up?. let him bat 7or 8th. let him earn his way back up in the lineup.
    I wonder how good his defense really is. He constantly dives and leg sweeps for routine ground balls, adding a lot of flare.

Well, he keeps peppering in decent games. So I'd say if he goes a weekplus without a decent game, he'll get a call.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    I wonder how good his defense really is. He constantly dives and leg sweeps for routine ground balls, adding a lot of flare.
    It is good. He basically saves Jeter's hide on close plays all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Fielding Bible guys (aka stat abusers and scouts) consistently rate him in the top 5 (5 out of 6 years).

PS: Pujols rated No. 1 defensive 1B in 5 out of those 6 years. He was beat out by Daric Barton for first place in 2010.

Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi View Post
    Don't be alarmed that people don't share the same pessimistic outlook as you. Tex is far from just an "above-average player". What he is however is a very talented player who is under-performing beyond belief. For what ever reason he is, don't limit Tex's abilities by calling him above-average.
    Yeah. They should get ready to retire his number after he retires.

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    It is good. He basically saves Jeter's hide on close plays all the time.
    Yeah. Jeter was nothing until Tex came along.

Thread Information