+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 98 FirstFirst ... 15 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 35 75 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    You state he wasn't a bust and then mention absolutely nothing to back it up other than his performance prior to coming here. Nice.

Ah, yes, the vaunted "innings eater" tag. Yes, guys who compile 377 innings of suck (84 ERA+) ball are infinitely more valuable than a on-the-decline 1B who can still put up fairly respectable numbers. Burnett was a total zero for the last two years of his contract; Tex isn't, yet.
    I didn't say Tex was a total zero. I said his SIGNING could be the worst in Yankee history. The bar is higher for him than almost anybody, except for A-rod, in that he is signed through 2016 at $22.5m and all except a few would agree that he is in some form of decline.

If money and contract length were totally out of the equation, I would agree that Tex is better/more valuable than AJ was.

Bottom line. If Tex were put out on the trade market right now, on May 13 2012, it would take something close to what the Yankees did with AJ to get rid of him...in fact, I think they'd have to do more.

As I did in the offseason, I use Luke Scott as a benchmark of sorts. He signed for 1 year and $6 million with the Rays. I had every reason to believe over the offseason, and I have every reason still to believe, that Scott barring injury will put up similar overall offensive numbers to Tex this year. And he gets 1 year and $6 million.

Now, I still believe Tex is the better overall player when factoring in durability and defense (Scott is a dh anyway), but he's not that much better.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    I am not a fan of booing, but I would boo this guy. He's not slumping, getting unlucky. He's not even an untalented player. He's stubborn. He knows what he needs to do but he's refusing to even attempt it. I'd be happy just to see him go up to the plate with the idea of taking the ball the other way. But I haven't seen that.
    I don't know the guy, but my sense is not that he isn't trying to adjust. It's like me saying I'm going to start landing my 8 iron softly on the green from 160 yards out. I know that's an adjustment I SHOULD make, but it's one I can't make.

more fuel to the fire

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/h...b-draft-051212

yankees missed out on drafting trout because of the tex deal
    always reasonable

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    more fuel to the fire

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/h...b-draft-051212

yankees missed out on drafting trout because of the tex deal
    That assumes no one takes him between the 25th and 29th pick, which is uncertain if not improbable.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    That assumes no one takes him between the 25th and 29th pick, which is uncertain if not improbable.
    The Angels had the 25th pick because the Yankees signed Teixeira
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Derp. Missed the inference there. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Yet without Tex, I doubt we win the WS in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I agree
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

i am actually a tex supporter,probably second only to snapples. critics of the tex deal forget that hindsight means you can only evaluate rationales and yes, you can be wrong even if tex sucks if you are hammering him for the wrong reasons.

the trout thing, since yankees were going to sign sabbathia in that same offseason, they would have lost the 25th pick anyway. however, they would probably still have a chance to get trout depending on where the angels would have drafted that year, pending on tex's signing location in that alternative world.
    always reasonable

NYYF Cy Young

This guy has to be the most useless $180 million could buy. What a shame.
    Hes one of those guys you dream about at night, you know? Not in a good way, in a bad way. ............Damon on AJ .

Mystique , Aura and Kate Hudson .

and i have impeccable timing. clearly best time to be defending tex
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    I don't know the guy, but my sense is not that he isn't trying to adjust. It's like me saying I'm going to start landing my 8 iron softly on the green from 160 yards out. I know that's an adjustment I SHOULD make, but it's one I can't make.
    You can tell when someone is trying to pull the ball vs. take it the other way. And a check swing bunt would also show some effort. I'm just not seeing it.

it would be pretty bad if he can't make the adjustment. as i've said a long time ago, maybe stop switch hitting.
    always reasonable

How do you figure? They win the division anyway and then Tex went like 11 for 62 or something with 2 home runs in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    You can tell when someone is trying to pull the ball vs. take it the other way. And a check swing bunt would also show some effort. I'm just not seeing it.
    I agree he should try to bunt. Particularly when they are shifting on him with the Yanks down 3 runs and nobody on base.

He just can't hit anymore, though, and that's the bigger problem.

I've been a Tex fan, and I still am. But it's really getting aggravating. I've been of the opinion that he just tries to jack everything out... why not just make CONTACT, MARK !!!!!!
    Roger Maris = single season "natural" home-run record-holder.

i haven't even looked at his stats in detail because it is early may. but it seems like he does not have the insane platoon issue as he did last year. seems like a total suck situation which may just mean that it is just a regular slump right now.

too soon to tell still.

although, i don't have that much faith in him adjusting his approach when batting lefthanded. it is correct for him to pull, but if that tendency becomes exploitable by opposing pitchers, he will have a big problem. he might as well try batting righthanded exclusively. in that new learning experience of sink or swim maybe he'll establish some healthier habits.
    always reasonable

BABIP is way too low still (.250 is probably where he should be, with shift and upper cut swing even).

On the upper cut swing point. His FB%, particularly IFFB%, are way down from his career averages, along with career high GB%. This strongly suggest his swing is actually more level than it used to be. What did he give up? His HR/FB dropped from 18% career to 9.8% this year. All of this should translate to higher BABIP, another indication Teixeira SHOULD have higher BABIP than .221 (again, historically and basically impossibly low.)

That said, his BB% and K% are way below career norms, strongly suggesting he's just hacking and swinging nowadays. This could be contributing to significantly worse contact that's forcing his BABIP down (still not .221 low, maybe .240.)

At this point, Teix needs to get his head back in the right place and hope Lady Luck treats him more kindly.

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    i haven't even looked at his stats in detail because it is early may. but it seems like he does not have the insane platoon issue as he did last year. seems like a total suck situation which may just mean that it is just a regular slump right now.

too soon to tell still.

although, i don't have that much faith in him adjusting his approach when batting lefthanded. it is correct for him to pull, but if that tendency becomes exploitable by opposing pitchers, he will have a big problem. he might as well try batting righthanded exclusively. in that new learning experience of sink or swim maybe he'll establish some healthier habits.
    If he's not even willing to drop a bunt down once in a while, he's not going to stop switch-hitting.

Good points. But I think it may be time to do some serious fundamental work on his approach & swing.
    Roger Maris = single season "natural" home-run record-holder.

How do you figure? They win the division anyway and then Tex went like 11 for 62 or something with 2 home runs in the playoffs.
    So you disregard his contributions from a 162 game season and then place his entire importance to that WS championship on 62 at-bats. If that's the case, then why are you crying about his regular season numbers on May 13th? You can't have it both ways.

So you disregard his contributions from a 162 game season and then place his entire importance to that WS championship on 62 at-bats. If that's the case, then why are you crying about his regular season numbers on May 13th? You can't have it both ways.
    he clearly contributed to their regular season success in 2009. But they won by the division by 8 games that year. he didn't contribute 8 games.

I'm not focused on his numbers on May 13th. I'm focused on what's gone on with him from the end of the 2009 regular season through today.

he clearly contributed to their regular season success in 2009. But they won by the division by 8 games that year. he didn't contribute 8 games.

I'm not focused on his numbers on May 13th. I'm focused on what's gone on with him from the end of the 2009 regular season through today.
    He was a main contributer to the 2009 WS championship, plain and simple. What happens if he wasn't around and the Yankees didn't have home field advantage while the Angels did that year.

He was a main contributer to the 2009 WS championship, plain and simple.
    Sure. He and seven other people. It's ludicrous to say they wouldn't have won the WS without any one of them.

Sure. He and seven other people. It's ludicrous to say they wouldn't have won the WS without any one of them.
    What's ludicrous is your postings.

Thread Information