+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 64 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Now we're talkin'! I'll admit, I didn't understand the chart. The blue was the gift and the green dot was a no doubt homer?
    Blue where it actually landed and green is projected landing if the wall weren't a mile high.

Red dots for flight path

So it would have been a homer anywhere else?

Nope. Tags some walls but clears none except green monster.

Swisher is whipped. Gotcha.

those guys are hilarious. "i'm not superstitious but i definitely do the same absurd thing in the same exact way every time.... just in case"
    like delv, but better

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    those guys are hilarious. "i'm not superstitious but i definitely do the same absurd thing in the same exact way every time.... just in case"
    Exactly how I read it

I know I might get railed over this one, but hear me out.

the Dodgers have money to spend. The Yankees now have a problem, particularly with Pineida going down, as they try to keep their payroll under $189m in 2014 while also presumably wanting to sign Cano and Granderson to long term deals. With the Pineida injury, they may need to go get a big front end of the rotations starter via free agency.

What if the Yanks worked a trade with Tex to the Dodgers in exchange for James Loney? Loney is a middling first baseman, but hits righthanded pitching well. (.812 ops lifetime vs. righthhanders).

This opnes a bit of an exposure against left handed starters, but Loney is only due $12m for this year and then he's a free agent. it saves $10 or $12m off the payroll that could otherwise go towards a starting pitcher or the Cano/Granderson situation.

I like it. I know Tex has a no-trade clause, but the chance to play with a franchise on the mend in LA might be something he's open to.

you should be getting paid for this
    always reasonable

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    I like it. I know Tex has a no-trade clause, but the chance to play with a franchise on the mend in LA might be something he's open to.
    Yeah why not, I'm sure Teix wants to pack up his family and move to the other side of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by eaganmafia View Post
    Yeah why not, I'm sure Teix wants to pack up his family and move to the other side of the country.
    Not that I think his scenario is possible but I don't understand this post. Players do this all the time and considering he's played for 4 teams already, he's no stranger to re-locating.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    That's great stuff. Athletes are notoriously superstitious, but baseball players have a corner on the market.
    "2009, Jo and I first started dating," Swisher recalled. "I was on a streak, I was rocking. Then the next thing you know, I went 0-for-4, struck out a couple times. And I get in the car after the game, and she's got on different earrings. And I'm like, 'Why'd you change your earrings???'"

His girlfriend slowly turned her head towards him.

"And she said, 'You think that my earrings had anything to do with why you played horribly today?'" Swisher recounted.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Not that I think his scenario is possible but I don't understand this post. Players do this all the time and considering he's played for 4 teams already, he's no stranger to re-locating.
    I agree it's probably far-fetched...as I think two of the three parties (Tex and the Dodgers) probably wouldn't do it. I think the Yankees would in a heartbeat though. They would suddenly clear about $90 million in payroll over the next four seasons. Subtract about $8 to $10 million per year or so to get a reasonably productive first baseman for those years and you're looking at about $55 million in payroll flexibility in 2013 thru 2016.

As for the balance of 2012...figure if you do it at about the mid-way point of the season... you figure to lose about 7 to 10 home runs in the second half (roughly projected difference between Tex and Loney). OBP figures to be relatively close.

The payroll flexibility would help them sign Swisher maybe at about $12 to $15/year (?) Or head the whole thing off with Cano and do something they don't normally do and lock him up now at a (slightly) lower annual rate.

I know this isn't the Yankee way of doing things (George might come out of his grave), but if this $189 number is for real, it would go a considerable way to solving the issue without a huge fan outrcy or loss on the field.

NYYF MVP

Having had to move 4 times already might make his family less inclined to do it again not more.

I think it's weird that Swisher's lady friend was wearing the same earrings long enough for him to get on a hot streak to begin with.

He has a no-trade clause now. His sister also lives in Bayonne.

But seriously, James Loney? The dude who put up a 98 OPS+ a few years ago? Trading Tex is one thing, trading him for a platoon player who isn't even all that impressive against RHP is just comical.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    He has a no-trade clause now. His sister also lives in Bayonne.

But seriously, James Loney? The dude who put up a 98 OPS+ a few years ago? Trading Tex is one thing, trading him for a platoon player who isn't even all that impressive against RHP is just comical.
    So, you think the Dodgers would do it but the Yankees wouldn't?

NYYF MVP

He's relocated cause he didn't have any choice cause he was traded. He signed a longterm deal with protection that allows him to stay on the East Coast near his family (he's from Maryland right) You really think he'll waive that right to go to LA or somewhere else?

NYYF Legend

absolutely... the dodgers nearly non-tendered lonely a few years ago... win new ownership, they could probably absorb a huge contract like teixeria's will also automatically upgrading their offense at the position

all this is moot anyway, as teix is never going to leave
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

he's one of the best 1b in the game...and someone wants to trade him. hilarity

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    he's one of the best 1b in the game...and someone wants to trade him. hilarity
    This isn't 2009 anymore.

Tex has seen his AVE, OBP & OPS+ drop each and every year from 2009 - 2012 (SSS on 2012). And he has a lodestone contract for the next several years.

I'd deal Tex if I could if I was the Yankeses though as others have mentioned he has a FNTC that he is unlikely to waive and trading him for James Loney just sounds nutty.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

I disagree. He's still one of the best 1b in the game.

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

While I disagree with YF1400 that Teixeira is "slightly above average" and I am a fan of Tex, when you consider his cost I would not be opposed to trading him. I think he's below average in terms of value given his monster contract. If there were a team out there that would take his deal in a non-salary dump, and Tex would waive his NTC (which is not probable), as a fan I wouldn't be opposed even though I think his production will improve rather than continue to slip.

um, if you dump his contract you are not exactly getting a replacement on the FA market to upgrade another part of the team with similar production. 1b is pretty inflated in terms of FA prices, be thankful he is not pujols or fielder
    always reasonable

Loney by all accounts has been a huge bust for them. Tex's contract sucks, but he's a much superior player and the Yankees would be better off swallowing his contract than freeing up space on the payroll for an inferior player.

Thread Information