+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 98 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 59 ... LastLast
    NYYF MVP

Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

Yes Tex is a slow starter, but he has been stinging the ball and making long outs also drilling hard ground balls with out much results. The main thing is that his timing seems to be OK for the most part, and he usually has a good eye, meaning that his OBP is almost always a 100pt's higher then his average.

If my memory serves me correctly we went through this last year, with him having early struggles. I think that maybe many of us thought that we were getting a Don Mattingly type hitter, someone that that uses all fields.

Tex swings really hard in every at bat and almost refuses to serve the ball the other way, another words he doesn't go with the pitch to often. Yet as I've said his timing seems pretty good, and we have been facing some tough pitchers to start the season. I think for the most part Tex is always a danger to hit one out, and is almost never an easy out...

Quote Originally Posted by NoodleRay View Post
    Yes Tex is a slow starter, but he has been stinging the ball and making long outs also drilling hard ground balls with out much results. The main thing is that his timing seems to be OK for the most part, and he usually has a good eye, meaning that his OBP is almost always a 100pt's higher then his average.

If my memory serves me correctly we went through this last year, with him having early struggles. I think that maybe many of us thought that we were getting a Don Mattingly type hitter, someone that that uses all fields.

Tex swings really hard in every at bat and almost refuses to serve the ball the other way, another words he doesn't go with the pitch to often. Yet as I've said his timing seems pretty good, and we have been facing some tough pitchers to start the season. I think for the most part Tex is always a danger to hit one out, and is almost never an easy out...
    He's a decent five or good six hole hitter. Personally, I'd rather see Swisher moved up to the five but doubt that will happen.

Tex swings really hard in every at bat and almost refuses to serve the ball the other way, another words he doesn't go with the pitch to often.
    You hit the nail on the head, he has an uppercut swing and seems to be swinging for the fences every time. If you watch hitters like Cano, or Jeter, or Granderson, you will see very different swings depending on pitch location. Even A-Rod, who is more of a prototypical slugger and doesn't quite hit foul line to foul line like Cano can, has a different look when he's pulling or hitting to the right-field gap. Not Tex.

Yet as I've said his timing seems pretty good, and we have been facing some tough pitchers to start the season. I think for the most part Tex is always a danger to hit one out, and is almost never an easy out...
    Unfortunately I think he's an easier out than he should be, especially from the left side. Soft stuff away will get him almost every time.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Hey, where are all the negative nellies today after Tex went 1 for 4 with an infield hit??

Passion For Pinstripes mrmike98's Avatar

What clearly astounds me is why haven't any of the "students" around here clamored for Jorge Vasquez? (Even if he was available)
    Before Elvis There Was Nothing

Let's just accept Marky-Mark for what/who he is. Yeah, he likes to jack. Sorry, I like this guy.
    Roger Maris = single season "natural" home-run record-holder.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    You hit the nail on the head, he has an uppercut swing and seems to be swinging for the fences every time. If you watch hitters like Cano, or Jeter, or Granderson, you will see very different swings depending on pitch location. Even A-Rod, who is more of a prototypical slugger and doesn't quite hit foul line to foul line like Cano can, has a different look when he's pulling or hitting to the right-field gap. Not Tex.

Unfortunately I think he's an easier out than he should be, especially from the left side. Soft stuff away will get him almost every time.
    He's more of a scary out than a hard out.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Okay so I'll change things up with some stuff that's not opinion, so that I can't be labeled a negative Nancy or a positive Polly.

BA/OPS/OPS+
    2009: 292/948/141
    2010: 256/846/124
    2011: 248/835/117

career before coming to Yankees:
    BA/OPS/OPS+
    290/919/134

2009 was right around career averages, and the next two years were a fairly precipitous drop. Leaves you to wonder if it's just natural decline, a decided change in his swing, swing plane, or approach, or if it's just a couple of off years. I'm not drawing any conclusions, just throwing out the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    He's more of a scary out than a hard out.
    He's more of a predictable out than a scary out.

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBomberalis View Post
    Okay so I'll change things up with some stuff that's not opinion, so that I can't be labeled a negative Nancy or a positive Polly.

BA/OPS/OPS+

BA/OPS/OPS+
    290/919/134

2009 was right around career averages, and the next two years were a fairly precipitous drop. Leaves you to wonder if it's just natural decline, a decided change in his swing, swing plane, or approach, or if it's just a couple of off years. I'm not drawing any conclusions, just throwing out the numbers.
    Very similar to what we saw with Giambi when he became reliant on the short porch.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Legend

I would like to complain if we get 39-111 (HR-RBI) again this year..............along with the stellar D, but I just don't think I could.

Still he could improve many offensive stats starting with BA.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.roy View Post
    I would like to complain if we get 39-111 (HR-RBI) again this year..............along with the stellar D, but I just don't think I could.

Still he could improve many offensive stats starting with BA.
    This difference between 111 RBI and 140 plus RBI is substantial. Just too often he's popping up or striking out. There is a reason he's dropped to fifth in the order. That damn right field porch seems to mess with solid all around hitters. Giambi came to us spreading the field, so did Tex but after one season they changed as hitters and not in a good way.

I'm feelin' a good game from Tex tonight!

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    I'm feelin' a good game from Tex tonight!
    Whenever I feel that way I take a couple of aspirin and start feeling like myself again.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

The difference between he and Gonzalez are striking.

Adrian is willing to go with a pitch and is a much more complete hitter. Maybe the sawx did win out with their " curse of Teixeira " considering they gave up squat to get him

The 39 HR's last year served to help mask the decline in his production and encourages him to continue w/ his pull only mentality
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    Very similar to what we saw with Giambi when he became reliant on the short porch.
    It's worth mentioning that in Giambi's final season with the Yanks (7 year deal), he had a higher OPS+ (128) than Tex did in year two with the Yanks (124).

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Whenever I feel that way I take a couple of aspirin and start feeling like myself again.
    Ah, took some acetaminophen for my cold and it's all coming back to reality

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    It's worth mentioning that in Giambi's final season with the Yanks (7 year deal), he had a higher OPS+ (128) than Tex did in year two with the Yanks (124).
    Yeah, I know.

At least Tex knows what to do with his glove.

Giambi's patience led to consistently high on base percentages. If what were seeing with Tex is what were gonna get, he could only dream of being giambi at the plate.

Tex always seems to take a lot of walks?

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBomberalis View Post
    BA/OPS/OPS+

BA/OPS/OPS+
    290/919/134

2009 was right around career averages, and the next two years were a fairly precipitous drop. Leaves you to wonder if it's just natural decline, a decided change in his swing, swing plane, or approach, or if it's just a couple of off years.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but prior to 2010, I don't think any team regularly put on a shift against Teixiera. I wonder if he was statistically pulling more balls from year to year, through 2009, and if this is what triggered teams to shift over?

If this is true, then shame on Mark and his hitting coaches for not making an adjustment by now. He needs to consistantly be able to hit the ball up the middle and into both gaps.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF MVP

If would be pretty cool if Teixeira decided to be awesome again.

2-2 with a walk and an SB so far..

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    2-2 with a walk and an SB so far..
    Hit the ball much harder today. Good sign.

Yeah I'm hoping it's just a cold start on a way to a re-capturing of his 2009 form. His swing was a bit more level last night than it has been, so maybe we'll see more line drives and less pulling off the ball for pop ups.

Thread Information