+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 57 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by unfamous loser View Post
    Leigh Teixeira, is that you?
    Nope, just long time Yankee fan who has been hard on Tex for a couple of years. But I'm seeing the errors of my past ways. I used to think that the yanks could find first basemen to do about 85% of what Tex does for pennies on the dollar, but no more. I watch a game like this and I realize that Tex is mostly unlucky due to where people are playing him and that a lot of the balls he put in play would result in hits if not for extenuating circustances.

I also have come to realize how much of a defensive position first base is and that it's not like a lot of first basemen play it approximately just as well.

Long story short, I realize that a game put in by Tex like he had tonight is really special and over the course of the season will add up to a lot.

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    Nope, just long time Yankee fan who has been hard on Tex for a couple of years. But I'm seeing the errors of my past ways. I used to think that the yanks could find first basemen to do about 85% of what Tex does for pennies on the dollar, but no more. I watch a game like this and I realize that Tex is mostly unlucky due to where people are playing him and that a lot of the balls he put in play would result in hits if not for extenuating circustances.

I also have come to realize how much of a defensive position first base is and that it's not like a lot of first basemen play it approximately just as well.

Long story short, I realize that a game put in by Tex like he had tonight is really special and over the course of the season will add up to a lot.
    OK. We get it.
    2014 - New Team, New Result

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Sarcasm? Hopefully?

//edit

Yes. Yes it was.
    //edit

No. No it wasn't.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Clever.

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    There's so much power on this team, that really shouldn't be a concern. Being on base should be everyone's top priority. Hitting into that shift HAS to produce less favorable results than not hitting into it.
    Agreed.

The one think that always makes me grateful is his D. Despite what the metrics say, he's a top notch defender. His throwing, scoops and general coverage is very good. However, when you look around at the first baseman in this league (Gonzales, Hosmer, Cabrera, Fielder, Pena, Pujols) he really needs to hit for average as well as power.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Uh oh, YankeeFan1421 has suddenly switched to crane technique.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQUYxqUO1b4
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Just a quick comment on the whole "hitting to the opposite field" discussion from the past couple of days. Cano put on a clinic as to how it's done last night. Unbelievable bat control and great hands. I think Mark had a better night last night, but his swing is way too long with way too much uppercut action right now for any of us to reasonably expect him to start hitting to the opposite field. Not going to happen.

Slow Start Tex. Shouldn't be surprising.

2-5. Single and a double. Thread is dead.

Oh it's delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post

Oh it's delicious.
    Not sure what you want people to say. He still isnt swinging the bat well at all...and so far is still getting beat by the same pitches in the same areas as last year.

Tex looks like sh*t in a few ABs, snapple gets defensive & cites small sample size. Tex gets a couple hits in a game and says something like he just did, ignoring small sample size.

Nice.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Tex looks like sh*t in a few ABs, snapple gets defensive & cites small sample size. Tex gets a couple hits in a game and says something like he just did, ignoring small sample size.

Nice.

You just can't handle the fact that he batted .400 yesterday. Hater
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

u see me rollin' y u no hatin'

Nice.
    No, I'm not saying he was fantastic. But, when he finally strings a couple hits together, the typical negative Nancy type posters are nowhere to be seen. No comments by his ABs, or anything. Its proof, to me, that some just love hating and hate loving a player. Tex is my favorite player. I haven't made a secret of that. I just bet myself that the thread would not have been bumped from the time last night's game was on. I was right, and I pointed it out. If this is a player performance thread, it should also garner the positive responses. Nova has had one start and has a good couple of pages of people loving it. Tex finally has a good game? Nowhere to be found. It's hilarious.

I'm not directing at you, just saying what you posted wasn't the case (at least on my part).

No, I'm not saying he was fantastic. But, when he finally strings a couple hits together, the typical negative Nancy type posters are nowhere to be seen. No comments by his ABs, or anything. Its proof, to me, that some just love hating and hate loving a player. Tex is my favorite player. I haven't made a secret of that. I just bet myself that the thread would not have been bumped from the time last night's game was on. I was right, and I pointed it out. If this is a player performance thread, it should also garner the positive responses. Nova has had one start and has a good couple of pages of people loving it. Tex finally has a good game? Nowhere to be found. It's hilarious.

I'm not directing at you, just saying what you posted wasn't the case (at least on my part).
    He was a 2-5 with a double. While it's a nice night, it's nothing worthy of praise. The guy still looks awful during his ABs & last night doesn't change that. You're acting like he hit a 9th inning homer with the Yanks down by 3 to tie the game.

If people are unhappy with Tex, it's because he continues to pull the ball into the shift. What happened to this opposite field approach he said he would work on? Small sample size but he is still doing what he's been doing & it's extremely frustrating.

What were the stakes?

When he strikes out, he looks so friggin' bad. Every swing is aimed to pull the ball down the right field line. Anything middle-in, is whipped into foul territory. Anything on the outer edge is rolled over weakly.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    What were the stakes?
    Let's just say you still don't know what I look like

Oh it's delicious.
    You know that double was complete BS, right?

NYYF Legend

No one comes in here to applaud him for going 2-5 (one of which was a bloop double) because we expect him to do well.

was an unremarkable 2/5

although the amount of hate the guy is getting is unfair
    always reasonable

Oh it's delicious.
    You can't seriously think that Tex showed anything last night of promise? that double was complete luck. Every player gets lucky and unlucky at times, but none of the concerns about Tex were addressed last night. Come on.

I think people are running out of ways and motivation to point out and discuss how terrible he's looked. the fact that as a supporter you're pointing to last night as a good game is proof of how far this guy has fallen from three years ago and from what the original expectations for him were.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    was an unremarkable 2/5

although the amount of hate the guy is getting is unfair
    I don't really see the hate. People are just frustrated with him. I personally love Tex and think (hope) he will improve upon last year.

yea i wrote hate because it is a short word, with an edge
    always reasonable

Thread Information