+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 98 FirstFirst ... 37 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 57 97 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 2448
  1. #1151

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateChief View Post
    I almost thought Chavez was Teixeira, lol.
    Me too, but then he got an opposite field hit.

  2. #1152
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    It saddens me that our best hitter is sandwiched in between two duds who weren't supposed to be duds.

  3. #1153
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeselover View Post
    Me too, but then he got an opposite field hit.
    I lol'd

  4. #1154

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Last night I had a dream that a book about Mark Teixeira called "The Road to Free Agency," written by Selena Roberts, hit the shelves. When I woke up I was hoping to read that the Yanks voided his awful contract.

    OK I made that up.


  5. #1155

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Last night I had a dream that a book about Mark Teixeira called "The Road to Free Agency," written by Selena Roberts, hit the shelves. When I woke up I was hoping to read that the Yanks voided his awful contract.

    OK I made that up.
    the thing is, I know people will start getting on Tex himself because of his contract. I don't blame Tex at all. Who wouldn't have taken the same exact contract? And i see no indication that he doesn't care or that he isn't working hard.

    And, on top of it all, he's still a decent player. No, he shouldn't be in the three hole (I know people think that doesn't matter, but I have to believe it would be best to have Robbie up every night in that spot). And no, he doesn't warrant anything close to the contract he has when you see what guys like Luke Scott and Raul Ibanez can do at a tiny fraction of the cost.

    But Tex himself, I don't blame. If they offered ME that contract, I'd take it too, even though I'd be lucky to get maybe four scratch hits all year.

  6. #1156

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Nobody is blaming Tex for signing the contract.

  7. #1157

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    the thing is, I know people will start getting on Tex himself because of his contract. I don't blame Tex at all. Who wouldn't have taken the same exact contract? And i see no indication that he doesn't care or that he isn't working hard.

    And, on top of it all, he's still a decent player. No, he shouldn't be in the three hole (I know people think that doesn't matter, but I have to believe it would be best to have Robbie up every night in that spot). And no, he doesn't warrant anything close to the contract he has when you see what guys like Luke Scott and Raul Ibanez can do at a tiny fraction of the cost.

    But Tex himself, I don't blame. If they offered ME that contract, I'd take it too, even though I'd be lucky to get maybe four scratch hits all year.
    I don't think people would be getting on him otherwise, but I think his stubborn refusal to adapt to the shift has rubbed a lot of people here the wrong way.

  8. #1158

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    That and his constant excuses. I'm sure there's plenty of players that feel like sh*t but Tex always has to point it out to the media.

  9. #1159
    Pinpoint False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    And no, he doesn't warrant anything close to the contract he has when you see what guys like Luke Scott and Raul Ibanez can do at a tiny fraction of the cost.
    Nothing for nothing but Scott has been atrocious since '10. So far Tex is proving your "slightly above average" description right this season, and I get why you brought up Scott in the offseason, but even with the cost discrepancy he's not really pertinent to the discussion any longer.

  10. #1160

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    I'm sure he's a great guy and a hard worker but his constant platitudes and excuses really get under my skin...


    That said, huge homer today.
    "No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in." - Bill Hicks

    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." - Leo Durocher

  11. #1161
    NYYF MVP

    NoodleRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Earth

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    You know' everyone looks good until they get here, until they wear the Yankee uniform, until they deal with the pressure of being the favorite. Dealing with the big crowd and being in the big pressure situation almost nightly.

    Having good teams with very good pitching as underdogs stepping up nightly with nothing to lose against us, but I guess it's just too easy to expect a certain few Yankee scape goats to hit one out in every big situation, it's wishful thinking!

    I'm not a huge Mark fan, but I do think he's a very good hitter. Mark has always been a player that you want up in a big spot. I think before the year is up most of you Mark bashers will be singing a different tune.

    Lets all remember that we don't have the best pitching, or the fastest or youngest team, and that we're still in 1st place. Everyone comes gunning for us, they bring their best with their time to shine. Then our players such as Mark are criticized for not getting the big hit, when he has numerous times.

    Just imagine if the Yankee hitters got to get up against our pitching, every team we play gets up big time to face us.. Mark was and still is a superb hitter with the game on the line, or any other time in any other situation...

  12. #1162
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    As mediocre as he's been, it should be noted that Boston's current 1B also went into the tank a tad bit earlier than expected.

  13. #1163

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    As mediocre as he's been, it should be noted that Boston's current 1B also went into the tank a tad bit earlier than expected.
    It just might be an off 1/2 year for Gonzalez. This is year 3 of Teixeira's decline.


  14. #1164
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    There's been a handful of reports of scouts commenting on the fact that his bat speed just vanished. His ability to make contact is still there, but his power numbers are way down. Not saying he's cooked, but that he's in a similarly peculiar position.

  15. #1165

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    tex or agon?
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

  16. #1166

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    There's been a handful of reports of scouts commenting on the fact that his bat speed just vanished. His ability to make contact is still there, but his power numbers are way down. Not saying he's cooked, but that he's in a similarly peculiar position.
    It's very possible, and it's not that I'm in disagreement, but I'd like to see it continue a bit longer before I trust the scouts' evaluation. Maybe there's a nagging injury that we aren't aware of or that only he's aware. If you remember, the same was said about Ortiz a while back and look how he's been tearing it up.

    Keeping my fingers crossed that his funk continues.


  17. #1167

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    tex or agon?

    He was referring to AGon.


  18. #1168

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    I've heard speculation that he might need shoulder surgery.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

  19. #1169

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Interesting. That would explain a lot if true.


  20. #1170
    NYYF MVP

    NoodleRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Earth

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    I'm a little surprised with some of you! Snapple, I thought Mark was the player (Yankee) that you pull for. His numbers aren't that bad, look at the pitching that we face nightly. There's been a change in BB mainly in the pitching, I don't recall a period of time at least in the last 25yr's or so where the pitching has been this dominate.

    The pitching league wide is just over powering, lets be honest 95+ with good breaking stuff an a change up to go with it, is changing BB.. Players that are willing to slow down their swings and or go to a lighter bat or serve the ball the other way. Or are just flat out fast, aren't suffering as much as some hitters that are set in their ways.

    The truth is that some of you are missing the point altogether,,, Baseball is a team sport we sometimes forget that. We (the Yankees) are achieving or goal at least so far, we're winning!! Also we're in first place even with some of our favorite players not doing as well as we'd like.. So when I mention you Snapple I do so because we have debated before an I know that you feel similar, and realize that there are differences between power guys that may be struggling an others that are willing to change... Mark is a very good and feared hitter with tremendous power to all fields...

  21. #1171

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Interesting. That would explain a lot if true.
    Yeah, apparently it's given him problems before. I could be wrong. I though I heard it here, to be honest.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

  22. #1172

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NoodleRay View Post
    The truth is that some of you are missing the point altogether,,, Baseball is a team sport we sometimes forget that. We (the Yankees) are achieving or goal at least so far, we're winning!! Also we're in first place even with some of our favorite players not doing as well as we'd like.. So when I mention you Snapple I do so because we have debated before an I know that you feel similar, and realize that there are differences between power guys that may be struggling an others that are willing to change... Mark is a very good and feared hitter with tremendous power to all fields...
    Without simply repeating myself from my response to you in the other thread, I don't think think the team's overall success is particularly relevant to an evaluation of Tex' performance, so I'm not sure what point is being missed. I also do not think that his performance in 2012 supports your assertion that he is very good, that he is feared or that he has tremendous power to all fields.

  23. #1173
    NYYF MVP

    NoodleRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Earth

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    Without simply repeating myself from my response to you in the other thread, I don't think think the team's overall success is particularly relevant to an evaluation of Tex' performance, so I'm not sure what point is being missed. I also do not think that his performance in 2012 supports your assertion that he is very good, that he is feared or that he has tremendous power to all fields.
    OK, then I'll try to make my point. Baseball is a team sport and even though we (the Yankees) on an individual basis aren't filling the stat sheets, we're getting it done collectively.. We were talking about Tex,,,, Tex has gotten some huge hits for us in some very close games.

    Also his defense has been enormous as well, we also lead the league in homeruns and many of those have been meaningful. It's not always how many,, but when and how meaningful.. That also goes for hits, steals, and walks.. Playing as a team is what we've been doing to win, solo numbers mean a great deal yet if we are still winning in spite of just imagine if some of the averages start to climb.

    I realize that Cano has been quite clutch of late, all I can say is keep it going help us win, it's your time. We're talking about Baseball where the numbers can change overnight, we can debate and go on an on, it's about numbers for some more then it is for others, it's a game with strategies and different opinions. Still I think that your putting more emphasis on Marks average then on his total impact... Really friend!

  24. #1174

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NoodleRay View Post
    OK, then I'll try to make my point. Baseball is a team sport and even though we (the Yankees) on an individual basis aren't filling the stat sheets, we're getting it done collectively.. We were talking about Tex,,,, Tex has gotten some huge hits for us in some very close games.
    Well again, I don't know why you're bringing up collective performance when discussing an individual player. The fact that it's a team sport is exactly the reason to ignore the overall team performance when evaluating a single player. And while it's true that Tex has gotten some big hits, I think looking at the season as a whole, he really hasn't gotten a particularly high number of significant hits at important times.

    Also his defense has been enormous as well
    I think Tex is a good defensive first baseman. I also think that as a first basemen, his defensive contributions do not impact team success all that much, and certainly don't have an "enormous" impact on our overall performance.
    we also lead the league in homeruns and many of those have been meaningful. It's not always how many,, but when and how meaningful.. That also goes for hits, steals, and walks.. Playing as a team is what we've been doing to win, solo numbers mean a great deal yet if we are still winning in spite of just imagine if some of the averages start to climb.
    As I said already, I don't know why you're bringing up team performance in a discussion of an individual player.

    We're talking about Baseball where the numbers can change overnight, we can debate and go on an on, it's about numbers for some more then it is for others, it's a game with strategies and different opinions.
    I don't know what this means.
    Still I think that your putting more emphasis on Marks average then on his total impact... Really friend!
    Among qualified 1B in mlb, Tex ranks 20th in obp, 13th in slg, and 15th in ops. I don't think it's emphasis on batting average which shows his performance to be disappointing.

  25. #1175
    NYYF MVP

    NoodleRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Earth

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    As you are pointing out I don't pay strict attention to the thread rules, so I'm kind of mixing threads together, I'm talking more about us as a team.. Also you are much more of a numbers guy which is your way, and your right on with the stats... Hey, as long as we're winning this is fun, your on the ball an you have your points! You always do...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts