+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 98 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

So when does he lay one down for a hit?

I'm going to take a wild stab at this at-bat in the 8th and say that Tex hits something weak. Just a hunch.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    I'm going to take a wild stab at this at-bat in the 8th and say that Tex hits something weak. Just a hunch.
    Oh, what do you know? then Michael Kay says, "oh, that would have been a base hit without the shift!" Right, but since he does the same exact thing every single time, the other team adjusts because they, too, want to win. They're not total idiots.

NYYF Legend

No it was actually well hit but just right into the teeth of the shift. What about all the preseason talk of going the other way Mark?

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    No it was actually well hit but just right into the teeth of the shift. What about all the preseason talk of going the other way Mark?
    It's like me saying I want to learn how to hit my 8 iron from 140 yards out better. "This year, I'm going to land the ball on the green like a feather falling from the sky."

Great idea. I can't do it, though.

NYYF Legend

It's like me saying I want to learn how to hit my 8 iron from 140 yards out better. "This year, I'm going to land the ball on the green like a feather falling from the sky."

But this is like Giambi all over again as Jason, prior to coming to the Yankees , used to use all of the field. But as soon as he became a Yankee...pull, pull, pull pull, and more pull.

Giambi was always a pull hitter even prior to coming to the Yankees.

He just hit the ball with so much authority it didn't matter much.

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    But this is like Giambi all over again as Jason, prior to coming to the Yankees , used to use all of the field. But as soon as he became a Yankee...pull, pull, pull pull, and more pull.
    guys get just a little bit older and they lose just a half a tick on their timing. They then lock in and try to kill everything to compensate, albeit unconsciously. As you correctly say, giambi did this and we've seen the same thing with tex for the past two plus years. God help him when his power starts to decline.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    Giambi was always a pull hitter even prior to coming to the Yankees.

He just hit the ball with so much authority it didn't matter much.
    I don't remember him being such a pull hitter with the A's and I was thinking that helped him hit with a higher average. Though it is only one example, I can recall him hitting a gw HR off Mike Stanton in the 9th that went opposite field in Oakland.

Even the pull-conscious Giambi was a better offensive player than the current version Teixeira.
    "No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in." - Bill Hicks

"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." - Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by 89FoxBody View Post
    Even the pull-conscious Giambi was a better offensive player than the current version Teixeira.
    Teixeira has regressed tremendously as an offensive player in the past couple of years, without a doubt. Particularly from the left side. Has a player ever stopped being a switch hitter and just hit from one side?

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    This is false according to data on fangraphs and it's not close.

Teix's pulled balls have much better results than balls hit to the opposite field. This is not unique to Teix or anyone in MLB; it's physics.

Pulled balls are hit with more force (more time for bat to accelerate). Consequently, they fly farther and faster.
    Are you including data in which the player hits the ball towards the gaping hole that has been created due to the other team playing a shift?

Quote Originally Posted by bomber999 View Post
    Teixeira has regressed tremendously as an offensive player in the past couple of years, without a doubt. Particularly from the left side. Has a player ever stopped being a switch hitter and just hit from one side?
    Yes, he has, but you won't hear this from 80% of the fans out there who make excuses for him every single day. i got killed earlier this year for saying that he was only 'slightly above average' now. I'm starting to think that I hope he's slightly above average this year.

Yes, he has, but you won't hear this from 80% of the fans out there who make excuses for him every single day. i got killed earlier this year for saying that he was only 'slightly above average' now. I'm starting to think that I hope he's slightly above average this year.
    Last year, I posted once that Teix now looked like Doug Mienkiewicz with power. I sincerely hope that the power doesn't disappear.

Just think how this thread would have blown up had A-Rod gotten on base in the 9th so we could watch Teixeira make the last out.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

LOL... so 2 games into the season you're ready to actually go even further than your "slightly above average" offseason claim? Define "slightly above average" for me in terms of a /// line, OPS+, wRC+, whatever. I'd like to see where you set the over/under on that.

Quote Originally Posted by madjack View Post
    Are you including data in which the player hits the ball towards the gaping hole that has been created due to the other team playing a shift?
    Fangraphs data do include the shift. Even grounding to the left field Teix doesn't do as well as when he pulls the ball overall.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    LOL... so 2 games into the season you're ready to actually go even further than your "slightly above average" offseason claim? Define "slightly above average" for me in terms of a /// line, OPS+, wRC+, whatever. I'd like to see where you set the over/under on that.
    Hey, False1. Here's a thought. Put down your Yankee pom-poms for a minute and stack-rank the first basemen in baseball for me (you can find a list of names on espn to sort on if you can't name any besides the ones in the AL East), and tell me where you rank Tex on that list.

You can't do it unless you practice. At his level he should be able to adjust.

Teixeira is still a pretty good offensive player. He will probably still hit 30 home runs or so and drive in 100 guys.

But his days of being a .900-.950 OPS player appear to be long gone.

His last 1,200 at-bats -- yes, 1,200 at-bats -- he has basically been a .250 hitter with about an .840 OPS.

You can only blame that on BABIP, bad luck, etc., for so long.

The things is, and this is what annoys me, is that you beat the shift just a few times, they'll stop it. A couple guys on base, big spot, boom bunt.. Maybe scores a run. Or down by 2 in late innings, a little old single is just as good as a long HR, gets the tying run to the plate.

People always say, hey, I'll give him the bunt single if that is what he wants. But there are times where that little old bunt basehit is not a good outcome for the opponents.

I watched far less talented Rays hitters just about AIM a routine grounder in a vacated hole to beat the shift (Pena and Jennings come to mind) and we just won't do it..

Call it ego, call it stupidity, call it stubborness.
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Quote Originally Posted by SubwayFanatic View Post
    Teixeira is still a pretty good offensive player. He will probably still hit 30 home runs or so and drive in 100 guys.

But his days of being a .900-.950 OPS player appear to be long gone.

His last 1,200 at-bats -- yes, 1,200 at-bats -- he has basically been a .250 hitter with about an .840 OPS.

You can only blame that on BABIP, bad luck, etc., for so long.
    That's what I don't understand. People continue saying Tex is unlucky. I guess he can just be unlucky indefinitely and it never has anything to do with declining ability. He came in here to be one of the best offensive players in the game. Today he's a one dimensional offensive player. He doesn't have a great OBP, he can't change his approach, he can't run. He can't even bunt for a hit when they GIVE it to him. He does one thing well...hit home runs, and he's one of the best on the Yankees at that. But that's it.

That's what I don't understand. People continue saying Tex is unlucky. I guess he can just be unlucky indefinitely and it never has anything to do with declining ability. He came in here to be one of the best offensive players in the game. Today he's a one dimensional offensive player. He doesn't have a great OBP, he can't change his approach, he can't run. He can't even bunt for a hit when they GIVE it to him. He does one thing well...hit home runs, and he's one of the best on the Yankees at that. But that's it.
    I was willing to buy into the fact that it may have just been bad luck, a down year, or whatever you want to call it after 2010, but in 2011 he pretty much had the same slash line.

At some point the whole cliche of "you are what you are" has to come into play.

Hey, False1. Here's a thought. Put down your Yankee pom-poms for a minute and stack-rank the first basemen in baseball for me (you can find a list of names on espn to sort on if you can't name any besides the ones in the AL East), and tell me where you rank Tex on that list.
    Hey YankeeFan1421, why don't you quit cluttering the Teixeira threads with bullsh!t and realize we're two games into the season.

Durning the steriod era, pitchers had to re-invent themselves or become obsolete. The shift era is now upon us, so players will have to re-invent themselves or become obsolete. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Thread Information