+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 98 FirstFirst ... 19 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 39 79 ... LastLast
Results 701 to 725 of 2448
  1. #701
    Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    India

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Some posts in this thread prove that some fans just need something to complain about no matter what. Tex has been terrible with a low BABIP but anyone who has not watched the last 3 seasons and simply reads these forums would think that he is the worst defensive player in the league and has lost all his power hitting only 3 HR a season or something....you know....almost Albertesque.
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

  2. #702

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    Short porch in NYS has changed the guy. Plus his bat is slow.
    I remember when Jeter's bat was slow too. *Sigh* memories.
    You know they are not real pies, right?

    "I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

  3. #703

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    He's gone the other way from both sides of the plate

    Wonder if it's a conscious effort or just a fluke?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

  4. #704

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Everyone wanted Tex...anyone who says they didnt is just lying. I think we all thought we'd get at least 5-6 elite years out of this contract. It was the perfect signing because he was in his prime years.

    I think all of us are shocked at how the offensive production has dropped off since 2009. He's still only 32...its not like he's 35-36. If he was, the dropoff would make sense. But he's not that age yet, and the dropoff makes no sense.
    you can think a signing was a good decision ex ante and realize it was a mistake ex post

    and just because you, as a poster, was fooled, doesn't mean you let the GM off the hook because he's suppose to know better

  5. #705

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by StaleMilk View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a player make easy plays look difficult more than Teixeira.

    Was a line drive right to him, not scorched. He catches it, then does a little slide, then spins.
    Nobody is more disappointed with Tex overall than I am, but I have a hard time seeing how his defense isn't still among the best first basemen in the league. Both statistically and observationally, I think he makes all the plays he should and saves errors. Maybe he's lost a half a step of range...though I'm not sure that's even the case.

    It's sort of a moot point anyway as his defense is practically incidental to his contract, but between the lines, I don't think there's anybody significantly better at first base...and there a obviously many who are not on his level.

  6. #706

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by yanksftw View Post
    you can think a signing was a good decision ex ante and realize it was a mistake ex post

    and just because you, as a poster, was fooled, doesn't mean you let the GM off the hook because he's suppose to know better
    What exactly did Cashman suppose to know better about Tex in December, 2008 when he signed the 28 year old slugger?

    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...eixema01.shtml

  7. #707

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    What exactly did Cashman suppose to know better about Tex in December, 2008 when he signed the 28 year old slugger?

    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...eixema01.shtml
    It's really a stretch to blame Cashman for not anticipating this. I don't think anybody could have predicted this when he was signed...and all through his first regular season in '09, it looked like it was going to turn out as predicted.

    It IS another piece of evidence that these mega-contracts are riskier than previously imagined, but I don't think it's a failure of player evaluation on Cashman's part.

  8. #708
    Trade Bait Mr.Muhozi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    City Of London

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    What exactly did Cashman suppose to know better about Tex in December, 2008 when he signed the 28 year old slugger?

    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...eixema01.shtml
    Blimey, I never realised his OPS dropped by .102 from 09-10
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

  9. #709
    Pinpoint False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by yanksftw View Post
    you can think a signing was a good decision ex ante and realize it was a mistake ex post

    and just because you, as a poster, was fooled, doesn't mean you let the GM off the hook because he's suppose to know better
    Fooled? What?

    Like he'd never seen or heard of Tex before, and just watched an looped video of him hitting grounders into a shift that were edited to look like opposite field XBH?

  10. #710
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    It's really a stretch to blame Cashman for not anticipating this. I don't think anybody could have predicted this when he was signed...and all through his first regular season in '09, it looked like it was going to turn out as predicted.

    It IS another piece of evidence that these mega-contracts are riskier than previously imagined, but I don't think it's a failure of player evaluation on Cashman's part.
    I thought the later years of the contract would be a problem and said I would not go ovver 5 years at the time.

    That said the Yanks felt they needed a big bat and Cash gambled that Tex's decline would come later.

    The contract worked great in 09 but the remaining 7 years are unlikely to live up to the price tag.

    Assuming the first 6 weeks of the year are just a slump and not an indication of true performance level, then Tex's contract will most cretianly be an overpay but if this is his true level, then dear god it will be a loade stone contract the next few years.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  11. #711

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    More than the Yankees are having problems with players signed to these 8-10 year contracts. People are saying Tex's contract will prevent the Yankees from keeping Granderson and Cano. In the shortterm that might hurt some in 2014/2015, but longterm-wise it might be a blessing to the Yankees.

  12. #712

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I thought the later years of the contract would be a problem and said I would not go ovver 5 years at the time.

    That said the Yanks felt they needed a big bat and Cash gambled that Tex's decline would come later.

    The contract worked great in 09 but the remaining 7 years are unlikely to live up to the price tag.

    Assuming the first 6 weeks of the year are just a slump and not an indication of true performance level, then Tex's contract will most cretianly be an overpay but if this is his true level, then dear god it will be a loade stone contract the next few years.
    Sure, the last couple of years are always going to be dicey at best on a contract of this length and dollar figures.

    But Tex was 28, right? I don't think anybody could have predicted that he'd have one top tier year left and then become a .245 mistake hitter.

  13. #713
    Pinpoint False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I thought the later years of the contract would be a problem and said I would not go ovver 5 years at the time.

    That said the Yanks felt they needed a big bat and Cash gambled that Tex's decline would come later.

    The contract worked great in 09 but the remaining 7 years are unlikely to live up to the price tag.

    Assuming the first 6 weeks of the year are just a slump and not an indication of true performance level, then Tex's contract will most cretianly be an overpay but if this is his true level, then dear god it will be a loade stone contract the next few years.
    I think your take was probably shared by most at the time. He'd be elite for the front end of the deal, solid towards the latter years with a risk of significant decline for the last 2 years or so. I'm sure the Yankees had that exact POV when signing him. They were probably banking on 5 great/good years, and that was enou considering the need and that he was bound for Boston otherwise.

    I doubt anyone reasonably expected this level of production this early.

  14. #714

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Watching the Red Sox game. Ortiz leads off the 5th inning and they are shifting him just like they do Tex. He squares around like he's sacrifice bunting, drops a bunt and bascially walks to first.

    I am going to tweet that video to Tex.

  15. #715
    werkt fir mee Huktonfonix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Is anyone putting any stock in the notion that he's had a serious respiratory ailment pretty much all season, and that this might not be indicative of a precipitous decline in talent level?

    I might be visiting a river in Egypt, but I feel like not being able to breathe + traditionally slow starter + fluky BABIP might be a more plausible explanation than an elite hitter for 7 straight years beginning to suck at age 31 with no obvious injury or explanation.

    Time is definitely running out for Mark to prove this is anything other than the player he is from this point forward, but I still have a hard time believing his talent just disappeared at his age (and with his body type).
    42 is the answer

    Gets to see even more of AJ Burnett now!

  16. #716

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    He just said he wasn't complaining about Tex's defense.

    We can make fun of Pedroia for diving at balls hit 2 feet to his right but we can't make fun of Teixeira's seemingly unnecessary pirouettes?

    Personally, I have no complaints whatsoever about his defense.
    Thanks. Exactly.

    Ignore lists are for pinstriped sheep who are unable to listen to someone's ideas that differ from there's. Good ridden.

  17. #717

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Huktonfonix View Post
    Is anyone putting any stock in the notion that he's had a serious respiratory ailment pretty much all season, and that this might not be indicative of a precipitous decline in talent level?

    I might be visiting a river in Egypt, but I feel like not being able to breathe + traditionally slow starter + fluky BABIP might be a more plausible explanation than an elite hitter for 7 straight years beginning to suck at age 31 with no obvious injury or explanation.

    Time is definitely running out for Mark to prove this is anything other than the player he is from this point forward, but I still have a hard time believing his talent just disappeared at his age (and with his body type).
    I think if he has a serious ailment, he should be getting treatment and not be playing. Of course it's nice to see a player fight through ailments, but his production at 1st has hurt more than it's helped. He should be on the DL getting better if need be.

  18. #718
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I think your take was probably shared by most at the time. He'd be elite for the front end of the deal, solid towards the latter years with a risk of significant decline for the last 2 years or so. I'm sure the Yankees had that exact POV when signing him. They were probably banking on 5 great/good years, and that was enou considering the need and that he was bound for Boston otherwise.

    I doubt anyone reasonably expected this level of production this early.
    His uppercut swing was one I never loved and personaly didn't think would age well. But you are right I never thought the drop in production would be this quick and this percepitous.

    I figured 3-5 years of 135 - 155 OPS+ production then not sure after that.

    But he's gone 141 -> 124 -> 118 -> 83

    At 115 - 130 he's productive but over paid for the position he plays.

    At 83 he's pretty much grabage any $ for the position let alone $20M+.

    I do hope the infection is what is driving performance right now because if it is you have to figure he'll at least return to the 120 OPS+ player give or take a bit he's been the past two years once that clears up. If OTOH he's turned into Andy Phillps :yikes:
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  19. #719
    Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    India

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by StaleMilk View Post
    I think if he has a serious ailment, he should be getting treatment and not be playing. Of course it's nice to see a player fight through ailments, but his production at 1st has hurt more than it's helped. He should be on the DL getting better if need be.
    Oh wow!!! This is SUCH a novel idea with all the players we have on the DL already!!!

    Where have you been all this while with your genius ideas!!!! So he should have gone on the DL and the Yankees should have put Swisher on 1B while we get Jones/Ibanez to play the outfield and weaken an already thin bench.......Let us know when your available for Cashman's job!!! Whenever your ready!!
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

  20. #720
    Addicted Member
    madjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    Watching the Red Sox game. Ortiz leads off the 5th inning and they are shifting him just like they do Tex. He squares around like he's sacrifice bunting, drops a bunt and bascially walks to first.

    I am going to tweet that video to Tex.
    Wow. Ortiz is hitting .353 too, with .633 slugging. Teix can barely buy a hit, but his pride is too strong to lay an easy one down?

  21. #721

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yanksfanintoronto View Post
    Oh wow!!! This is SUCH a novel idea with all the players we have on the DL already!!!

    Where have you been all this while with your genius ideas!!!! So he should have gone on the DL and the Yankees should have put Swisher on 1B while we get Jones/Ibanez to play the outfield and weaken an already thin bench.......Let us know when your available for Cashman's job!!! Whenever your ready!!
    You need more exclamation points, it would assist with your poor sarcasm.

    Replacement level offense is around .300 OBP/.415 SLG at 1B. Tex offensively has been worse than a replacement level player. He should have went on the DL and Steve Pearce could have been called up.

  22. #722
    NYYF Triple Crown

    apalradio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Is this really a DL situation? Tex's offense has been in decline for the last two years, so I'm not sure there's a sudden DL fix for whatever ails him.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

  23. #723
    werkt fir mee Huktonfonix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Is this really a DL situation? Tex's offense has been in decline for the last two years, so I'm not sure there's a sudden DL fix for whatever ails him.
    There's a big difference between the .850 OPS version of Tex that we complained about the last 2 years and the sub-700 version this year. Even if last year's production is his true talent level at this point and not a BABIP-driven fluke, he's still far, far below that now. By all accounts the man has barely been able to breathe all season. As an asthmatic, I can say that that certainly impacts my job performance and I sit at a desk all day. I don't think it's a stretch to say that his illness is probably suppressing his performance to some extent.
    42 is the answer

    Gets to see even more of AJ Burnett now!

  24. #724

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Is this really a DL situation? Tex's offense has been in decline for the last two years, so I'm not sure there's a sudden DL fix for whatever ails him.
    If he has been as sick for as long as he has been this season he surely needs something. He might be saying his health isnt affecting him but I would bet differently.

    Id put him on the DL and call up Pearce to play 1B in the meantime. Spend a couple of those days in the hospital knocking whatever this sickness is out of his system and then spend a few days working with Kevin Long and hope for a Granderson like turn around. Might not fix him but it is worth a shot IMO.
    "A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."

    I love baseball in general and the Yankees just happen to be my favorite team since I knew what baseball was.

  25. #725

    Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Huktonfonix View Post
    There's a big difference between the .850 OPS version of Tex that we complained about the last 2 years and the sub-700 version this year. Even if last year's production is his true talent level at this point and not a BABIP-driven fluke, he's still far, far below that now. By all accounts the man has barely been able to breathe all season. As an asthmatic, I can say that that certainly impacts my job performance and I sit at a desk all day. I don't think it's a stretch to say that his illness is probably suppressing his performance to some extent.
    If that's the case, then he should go on the 15 day DL. that's what it's there for. If you're physically not able to perform at an acceptable level due to injury or illness, then go on the disabled list and get better. We can't continue on like this into late May with a .220 hitter with moderate power playing first base and hitting fifth.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts