+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 98 FirstFirst ... 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 66 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Mark Teixeira Performance Thread

this should be the last year in his prime age years. the fact that he crapped out 3 years early is very disappointing for a nearly $200M player.

At what point do we just begin to accept that he's no longer elite, isnt gonna return to the player he was from 04-09 and this is just who he is now?

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    At what point do we just begin to accept that he's no longer elite, isnt gonna return to the player he was from 04-09 and this is just who he is now?
    I did about a year and a half ago. Numbers can mislead for a while, but eventually you have to trust what you see and know the numbers will eventually follow up or down.

I think because he's a pro, plays hard and had a great start to his early career, people tend to overrate him. I've been saying all along (and it's caused quite a debate in this very forum) that he's an above average, though only slightly below average, player for a first baseman.

At this point, I'm hoping I didnt overrate him. He's lost up there. If he gets his pitch exactly in the right slot, he still crushes it. But he has basically one dimension on offense.

It ain't pretty.

Devoted Member

Tex is in year four of the 8 year deal. No opt out clause and a complete no trade provision. I've seen speculation about how brutal yrs. 9 and 10 of ARod's deal could be, but years 6-8 of Teix's deal could be just as ugly.
    "The saddest thing in life is wasted talent"

Quote Originally Posted by kirbivore View Post
    Tex is in year four of the 8 year deal. No opt out clause and a complete no trade provision. I've seen speculation about how brutal yrs. 9 and 10 of ARod's deal could be, but years 6-8 of Teix's deal could be just as ugly.
    There are times where id take Andruw up over Tex. Ive really lost all faith in him at the plate.
    Phil Hughes is a starter!

Oh ye of little faith. He shall rebound.

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    His numbers have been trending downward almost linearly since 2008. What will he rebound to, in your opinion?
    Team Northern Lights

Elite.

Elite.
    So, 2009 level? How does he do this?
    Team Northern Lights

If I knew, I'd be paid to figure out people's problems.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Mark Teixeira is simply the new Jason Giambi.

One elite year in pinstripes, then a nosedive. Still powerful, but BA 40-60 points below what they used to hit.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

It annoys me that everyone bitched about Giambi's contract and nobody talks about Teixiera. Giambi's Yankee career was way better if things don't turn around for Tex.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    Mark Teixeira is simply the new Jason Giambi.

One elite year in pinstripes, then a nosedive. Still powerful, but BA 40-60 points below what they used to hit.
    Rediculously poor annalogy.

Quote Originally Posted by BennyTheJetRodriguez View Post
    Rediculously poor annalogy.
    RIDICULOUSLY poor spelling of RIDICULOUSLY and ANALOGY.

However...

Giambi:

OAK 27-110-.295 (age 27)
    OAK 33-123-.315 (28)
    OAK 43-137-.333 (29)
    OAK 38-120-.342 (30)
    NYY 41-122-.314 (31)
    NYY 41-107-.251 (32)
    NYY 12-40-.208 (33)
    NYY 32-87-.271 (34)
    NYY 37-113-.254 (35)

Teixeira:

TEX 43-144-.301 (25 years old)
    TEX 33-110-.282 (26)
    TEX/ATL 30-105-.306 (27)
    ATL/LAA 33-121-.308 (28)
    NYY 39-122-.292 (29)
    NYY 33-108-.256 (30)
    NYY 39-111-.248 (31)

RIDICULOUSLY poor spelling of RIDICULOUSLY and ANALOGY.
    HAHAHA touche. I need the squiggly red lines or i'm lost.

Regardless. Giambi healthy was sooooo much better offensively than Teixiera.

Snapple, your dedication to Tex is admirable, but I see no reason at all that his ongoing struggles are somehow going to stop and then reverse course.

Obviously, he's not going to end up with a .278 OBP and 20 home runs that's he's on course for now, but to say he's going to bounce back to an elite status at age 32 when he looks horrible at the plate half the time is really a stretch.

I would hope the Yankees are looking at all options with him. It's not going to be easier a year from now to trade him.

His two biggest attributes, durability and home runs, are going to begin to decline. Hopefully only slightly, but they will...they do for everybody.

The good (or is it bad?) news is that there are plenty of reasonable options at first base in baseball in this era. They can get a .350 OBP with 15 home runs or so and a solid glove for about $5 to $8m. With their lineup, the Yankees don't NEED Tex the way other teams who need a decent five hole hitter might. He's not yet untradeable the way A-Rod is...I would explore every single option I could before time runs out on them.

NYYF Cy Young

After one of the Boston games when he hit to left field, Tex had said in some interview that if he played on a home field like Boston's he would hit more that way, but in Yankee stadium they would just be long fly balls. What I don't get is that he is hitting long fly balls anyway - if he is saying he could do it, why doesn't he try more to hit to left field to try to get rid of the shift?

Quote Originally Posted by ZIM 2002 View Post
    After one of the Boston games when he hit to left field, Tex had said in some interview that if he played on a home field like Boston's he would hit more that way, but in Yankee stadium they would just be long fly balls. What I don't get is that he is hitting long fly balls anyway - if he is saying he could do it, why doesn't he try more to hit to left field to try to get rid of the shift?
    BUNT! A-Rod should give him bunting lessons. That was a thing of beauty.

Or take extra BP, and learn to hit the other way. Hit it where they pitch it.

HAHAHA touche. I need the squiggly red lines or i'm lost.

Regardless. Giambi healthy was sooooo much better offensively than Teixiera.
    I agree. Yankee years Giambi and Yankee year Tex are really not close. I don't even know why people try to compare them from an offensive standpoint.

the better comparison is Tino Martinez and Tex. Tex has about an 11 point OPS+ edge right now during their Yankee careers. Tex higher obp and Tino higher slugging. They're pretty close overall though I think Tex will end up with lower slugging, obp than Tino did as a Yankee.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    Snapple, your dedication to Tex is admirable, but I see no reason at all that his ongoing struggles are somehow going to stop and then reverse course.

Obviously, he's not going to end up with a .278 OBP and 20 home runs that's he's on course for now, but to say he's going to bounce back to an elite status at age 32 when he looks horrible at the plate half the time is really a stretch.

I would hope the Yankees are looking at all options with him. It's not going to be easier a year from now to trade him.

His two biggest attributes, durability and home runs, are going to begin to decline. Hopefully only slightly, but they will...they do for everybody.

The good (or is it bad?) news is that there are plenty of reasonable options at first base in baseball in this era. They can get a .350 OBP with 15 home runs or so and a solid glove for about $5 to $8m. With their lineup, the Yankees don't NEED Tex the way other teams who need a decent five hole hitter might. He's not yet untradeable the way A-Rod is...I would explore every single option I could before time runs out on them.
    He's my favorite player. I think he'll put it together. This has been a better April for him (from what I've seen) than in times past. Hopefully, the rest of the season picks up for him.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    I agree. Yankee years Giambi and Yankee year Tex are really not close. I don't even know why people try to compare them from an offensive standpoint.
    Use Giambi and Teixeira's first three season's as a Yankee. Ignore Giambi's 2004 season, when he missed half the year.

Giambi: 41+41+32 = 114 HR
    Teixeira: 39+33+39 = 111 HR

Giambi: 122+107+87= 316 RBI
    Teixeira: 122+108+111 = 341 RBI

Giambi: 423 H, 1512 AB, .280 BA
    Teixeira: 478 H, 1799 AB, .266 BA

And in Giambi's last 5 years with NYY, he only appeared in 140 or more games, once.

Use Giambi and Teixeira's first three season's as a Yankee. Ignore Giambi's 2004 season, when he missed half the year.

Giambi: 41+41+32 = 114 HR
    Teixeira: 39+33+39 = 111 HR

Giambi: 122+107+87= 316 RBI
    Teixeira: 122+108+111 = 341 RBI

Giambi: 423 H, 1512 AB, .280 BA
    Teixeira: 478 H, 1799 AB, .266 BA

And in Giambi's last 5 years with NYY, he only appeared in 140 or more games, once.
    Like YF said, Tino is a better comp than Giambi. So is swisher for that matter. Giambi hit for way more power and got on base WAY more than Tex. The only reason the numbers you listed are even close is because of the time Giambi missed.

I'll take a:

-Gold glove 1st baseman
    -110 RBI's
    -90-100+ Runs Scored
    -Top 35-40 OPS

Every year.
    You know they are not real pies, right?

"I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoux101 View Post
    I'll take a:

-Gold glove 1st baseman
    -110 RBI's
    -90-100+ Runs Scored
    -Top 35-40 OPS

Every year.
    the rays are paying WAY less for that than the yankees are

NYYF MVP

the rays are paying WAY less for that than the yankees are
    In fairness, the Rays are a 10-fold smarter organization then the Yankees.

Thread Information