+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 78 1 2 3 4 11 51 ... LastLast
    NYYF Triple Crown

2012 New York Giants Thread

Okay!....Preparation for the 2012 season is kicking into 5th gear.

Free Agency starts on March 13.....Who stays on the team and who goes? Who do the Giants pick up in FA? A Running Back? Tight End? Linebacker?.....Who should we get?

The Draft is on April 26th to 28th....What should be the Giants focus be? Adding on to their stable of pass rushers? Tight End? O-Lineman? Is there another JPP out there that we don't know about?

Giants OTA's start in May....After having no OTA's last year will this help guys like Prince get a head start on the season.

Can The Giants Repeat?

Let's get 2012 started right!..... GO GIANTS!!!
    [FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][B]“I would like to take the great Di Maggio fishing....They say his father was a fisherman. Maybe he was as poor as we are and would understand.”[/B]
    [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Ernest Hemingway
    “The Old Man and the Sea”[/SIZE][/FONT]

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Re: 2012 New York Giants Thread

Just for kicks, I went and looked at Grantland.com's NFL preview for last season. The usually reliable Bill Barnwell had the Giants in his list of teams that would fail to live up to expectations. However, his "best case scenario" was eerily accurate.
    Best-case scenario: Eli takes the team on his shoulders and carries it through a series of shootouts in the first half of the year, and the Giants' traditional second-half struggles aren't enough to keep them out of the playoffs. The injury to Umenyiora just creates an opportunity for Jason Pierre-Paul, who becomes the next great Giants pass-rusher.
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...review-part-ii

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Just for kicks, I went and looked at Grantland.com's NFL preview for last season. The usually reliable Bill Barnwell had the Giants in his list of teams that would fail to live up to expectations. However, his "best case scenario" was eerily accurate.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...review-part-ii
    Wow. That was eerily accurate. I think JPP will have a great season. He'll probably end up with about 20+ sacks. I hope we can keep Osi too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    Wow. That was eerily accurate. I think JPP will have a great season. He'll probably end up with about 20+ sacks. I hope we can keep Osi too.
    watching JPP develop even more as the years go by is going to be a treat for us fans.

NYYF Legend

Okay!....Preparation for the 2012 season is kicking into 5th gear.

Free Agency starts on March 13.....Who stays on the team and who goes? Who do the Giants pick up in FA? A Running Back? Tight End? Linebacker?.....Who should we get?

The Draft is on April 26th to 28th....What should be the Giants focus be? Adding on to their stable of pass rushers? Tight End? O-Lineman? Is there another JPP out there that we don't know about?

Giants OTA's start in May....After having no OTA's last year will this help guys like Prince get a head start on the season.

Can The Giants Repeat?

Let's get 2012 started right!..... GO GIANTS!!!
    i don't usually follow football offseason like baseball but

It seems certain that Manningham and Jacobs will be gone.

It seem probable that Osi will be dealt to fill other needs. Wouldn't surprise me to see them deal him to an AFC team. Not that I want him gone, just seems like a position of depth.

Draft, hopefully they take best available regardless of position and hopefully best available at time of their first round pick is a line backer.

NYYF Triple Crown

Giants To Release Brandon Jacobs

Giants have decided to release running back Brandon Jacobs because they have been unable to come to terms on a renegotiated contract with him. Jacobs was entering the final year of his contract and was scheduled to make $4.9 million in 2012. But the Giants have salary-cap concerns and have been working with Jacobs in an effort to get him to agree to cut that salary, perhaps by half or more.

Jacobs, who took a pay cut last year so the team could re-sign his friend and backfield-mate Ahmad Bradshaw, said recently that he'd be amenable to a cut, but only if it were "fair." Apparently, he and the team could not reach agreement on what would constitute "fair," and Jacobs will now look for work elsewhere.

2011 STATS
    • Rush152
    • Yds571
    • TD7
    • Rec15
    • Yds128
    • TD1

Jacobs rushed for 4,849 yards and 56 touchdowns and, perhaps more importantly, won two Super Bowls in seven years with the Giants. His best individual season was 2008, when he averaged five yards per carry and racked up 1,089 yards and 15 touchdowns in only 13 games. He was less productive in recent years and lost the starting job to Bradshaw, but he played a key role this past year when Bradshaw had to miss games with a foot injury, and he and Bradshaw worked well together as a running back committee.

The Giants have some young running backs, including D.J. Ware, Da'Rel Scott and Andre Brown, but they also could look on the free-agent market or in the draft for someone to replace Jacobs' carries and production. Michael Bush and Mike Tolbert are both free-agent running backs who have performed well in committee roles in recent years and would fit well if the Giants decided to go in that direction. Of course, it's unlikely they'll get either of those guys for less than it would have cost them to keep Jacobs.

It has to be a tough parting for Jacobs and the Giants, even though both sides saw it coming for months. The Giants are the only NFL team for which Jacobs has played, and they've had a great deal of success together. But such is life in the NFL's salary-cap world. The Giants would have liked to keep him, but this time around, they couldn't make it work financially.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post...brandon-jacobs

So long BJac....As much as I felt he was a head case, I'm going to miss him.
    He gave the quote of the year after the Jets game when he said about Rex Ryan "Time To Shut Up fat Boy....!"

eli restructured his deal to save us 6.75 mil this year and cutting jacobs gives us some breathing room. dealing osi in the right deal and getting a situational pass rusher (which is what Osi is now, more or less) will save us even more

Sad to see him go...we all knew it would happen but I had got used to him being around and it will take a little while to get used to him being on another team.

Hope he has success wherever he goes.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by bmxstreetrider86 View Post
    eli restructured his deal to save us 6.75 mil this year and cutting jacobs gives us some breathing room. dealing osi in the right deal and getting a situational pass rusher (which is what Osi is now, more or less) will save us even more
    I feel like they should keep Osi. Some how, some way. I know he can be a bit of a pain in the neck, but the guy is a gifted natural born pass rusher and they are not easy to come by.

I feel like they should keep Osi. Some how, some way. I know he can be a bit of a pain in the neck, but the guy is a gifted natural born pass rusher and they are not easy to come by.

the giants come by them all the time. he is a constant whiner who makes stupid plays on the field and cant play the run. he does one thing (and does it well, ill give him that) but if they can save some cap money and get a solid pick back they have to do it. i dont think they should give him away or cut him or anything, but the giants can get pass rushers and have 2 great every down DE's already

Kiwi back to where he belongs at DE could be an easy in-house fix for Osi leaving. his snap count fell off a cliff at LB as this season progressed, despite being said to be healthy.

sad to Jacobs (and McKenzie, who isn't coming back either) go, but it was time.

Moves like cutting Jacobs and not bringing back McKenzie were necessary. I appreciate what Jacobs did here...but it was time to move on. Same thing with the aging McKenzie.

Maybe they draft another RB in the mid-rounds, but also means guys like Scott, Ware and maybe even Andre Brown will get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by unfamous loser View Post
    Kiwi back to where he belongs at DE could be an easy in-house fix for Osi leaving. his snap count fell off a cliff at LB as this season progressed, despite being said to be healthy.

sad to Jacobs (and McKenzie, who isn't coming back either) go, but it was time.
    The only worry I would have is that Tuck rarely stays healthy for a full season. Having Osi and Kiwi around kept us deep with upper level options.....But these problems are rich people problems.

The Giants D seemed to be a different animal when he returned this year.

NYYF Triple Crown

So long B Jac....You will be missed. And please don't go to another team in the NFC East.

NYYF Triple Crown

2012 cap number coming Monday 3/12

Multiple league sources tells PFT that the 2012 team-by-team salary cap number will be communicated to the teams on Monday.
    Given that all teams must be in compliance with the 2012 salary cap by 4:00 p.m. ET on Tuesday, that’s good.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...coming-monday/

It's about time.

NYYF Triple Crown

Terrell Thomas Might Test The Market

It seeemed to be a no-brainer a few weeks ago that sometime before the start of free agency the Giants would find a way to re-sign Terrell Thomas. By all accounts, his rehab from his second torn ACL was going well and he wanted to return to the only NFL team he’s known. Talks had begun, Thomas was optimistic, and it seemed likely a deal would get done.

Now, with just two days before the free-agent market, even Thomas doesn’t sound as sure as he once was.

“I’m very optimistic, but it’s a business,” Thomas told the Daily News. “I’ve seen it turn ugly. You look at the Steve Smith situation (with the Giants last summer). You can’t take that out of the back of your mind. Kevin Boss (who left for Oakland) is a guy they drafted, and the Giants are very big on keeping their draft picks.

“I definitely think they want me back, but both sides have to do a deal that suits them best. I’ll let my agent handle that and hopefully when that time comes I’ll go sign. If not, I’ll be a free agent and we’ll see what happens from there. They told me that they want me back. The conversations started right away. But until that ink is dry, I can’t say I’m coming back or I’m going.

“All I can really say is time is ticking.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...est-the-market

The Raiders are releasing Boss. Ironic that both Boss and Smith might be back on the team next year. I mean Boss fills a need at TE, and depending on what happens w/Manningham...Smith would fill a need too.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    The Raiders are releasing Boss. Ironic that both Boss and Smith might be back on the team next year. I mean Boss fills a need at TE, and depending on what happens w/Manningham...Smith would fill a need too.
    I watched Boss a lot this season and he didn't look like the same player. Maybe, it was due to him being in a different system with the Raiders, but football players regress very fast especially those with many injuries like Boss.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    I like both players, but right now they have serious health concerns. I might invite them to try out for the team and if they prove to be healthy and good enough I would offer them the league minimum

As a fan of Boss, I wish he would retire. He's got to be a concussion away from permanent damage.

Great news!!!!

Giants re-sign Terrell Thomas
    ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the Giants have reached an agreement with cornerback Terrell Thomas, who has spent his entire career with the team but would have become a free agent in six and a half hours.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...errell-thomas/

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    Great news!!!!

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the Giants have reached an agreement with cornerback Terrell Thomas, who has spent his entire career with the team but would have become a free agent in six and a half hours.

Great news indeed!!
    I guess this means the end for Ross.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    Great news!!!!

Good. Hope he's healthy next season. Bye bye Aaron Ross.

seems like he got a lot of money for a guy who's coming off of tearing up a knee he's already torn up before, especially since they had to restructure a guy like Baas' contract to do it.

here's hoping Dallas signs Ross to "fix" their secondary since they can't likely afford one of the top guys now.

Thread Information