View Poll Results: Where will Peyton Land?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Colts. It's all a big restructuring ruse.

1 3.85%
  • Jets

3 11.54%
  • Dolphins

15 57.69%
  • Redskins

1 3.85%
  • Cardinals

2 7.69%
  • Seahawks

0 0%
  • 49ers

1 3.85%
  • Retirement

3 11.54%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Colts to release Peyton Manning

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/76...ning-wednesday

Peyton Manning's 14-year career as a member of the Indianapolis Colts is coming to an end.

Sources close to the team told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen that the announcement will come at a news conference in Indianapolis on Wednesday with both Manning and owner Jim Irsay in attendance.
    Let the Frenzy begin.

Re: Colts to release Peyton Manning

I know he's said he plans on playing, but I wouldn't rule out retirement. Is he really going to want to go play for the Dolphins or Redskins? A couple of years ago/pre-neck surgery he could have willed those teams into the playoffs, but I'd imagine he'd be looking for a situation where he's the final piece of the puzzle and not expected to turn everything around himself. If I were a team like the Jets/49ers/Broncos I'd gamble on him rather than hoping to win with my just barely good enough to keep his job QB.

NYYF Legend

Totally left out the "Other" option. Oh well. Write me a ticket Thread Police.

Would like to see the Jets get him. It would be fun to watch the two brothers in both NY teams. I'll root for him when they're not playing Big Blue.

Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

I picked retire. Either that or re-sign with the Colts for a lot less money, to mentor Luck.

NYYF Legend

As a Jets fan, I'd like to see him on my team, but only if ALL of the following hold:

1. 2-year deal with not too much guaranteed beyond the first year. Still think Sanchez could develop into something better with mentoring.

2. Doesn't prevent us from signing a decent RB, WR, and pass rusher. (These are needs, not a luxury, which is what Manning would be.)

3. He's able to perform at the level he used to in late 2010. Otherwise, I don't see how it's an upgrade over Sanchez even accounting for leadership.

That being said, I think he's going to end up on the Dolphins.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

I think it'll be hard to turn down whatever ridiculous contract offer he gets from Washington/Miami. Not sure what would be more fun - seeing Peyton vs Eli twice a year or Peyton vs Brady twice.

NYYF Legend

I can't see him retiring yet - all that work he put into rehab and getting himself back to playing condition full-tilt. Of course, no one knows just how ready he is until he starts taking hits. If it comes down to Washington and Miami, I think the edge goes to the Dolphins.

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    I can't see him retiring yet - all that work he put into rehab and getting himself back to playing condition full-tilt. Of course, no one knows just how ready he is until he starts taking hits. If it comes down to Washington and Miami, I think the edge goes to the Dolphins.
    I think so too. Even though Snyder is the usual "splash" guy, I think this time the Redskins will sell the farm for RGIII.

Vegas odds
    Manning odds: Arz 19%, Mia 16.5%, Was 13%, NYJ 9.5%, KC 7.5%, Retire 6%, Sea 6%, Hou 4%, SF 3%, Den 3%, Ten 1.5%, Other 11%

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    Vegas odds
    Manning odds: Arz 19%, Mia 16.5%, Was 13%, NYJ 9.5%, KC 7.5%, Retire 6%, Sea 6%, Hou 4%, SF 3%, Den 3%, Ten 1.5%, Other 11%
    I wonder why Arizona is thought to be so high.

Vegas odds
    Tennessee +6665 is calling my name. Think about it - he'd be returning home to where he played college. The team has a pretty good defense and a supposed top 5 RB, plus the division is easy and he can stick it to the Colts twice a year.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Tennessee +6665 is calling my name. Think about it - he'd be returning home to where he played college. The team has a pretty good defense and a supposed top 5 RB, plus the division is easy and he can stick it to the Colts twice a year.
    Schefter agrees with that logic.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    I wonder why Arizona is thought to be so high.
    My guess is because Cards got tons of cap space, the picks and Fitzgerald to build a team in one year, unlike most of the other suitors with glaring weaknesses they cannot address this year.

My guess is because Cards got tons of cap space, the picks and Fitzgerald to build a team in one year, unlike most of the other suitors with glaring weaknesses they cannot address this year.
    But they have the one of, if not the worst offensive lines in football.

Here's a good rundown of his likely landing spots.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...tons-next-home

With the Colts retiring Manning's number, how many players have had their number retired in their honor while they were still active?

Baseball:
    Frank Robinson
    Phil Niekro
    Eddie Murray
    Harold Baines
    Nolan Ryan
    Ozzie Smith (retired his number on the next-to-last game of the season)

Football? Hockey? Basketball?

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

NYYF Legend

Does Mariano Rivera's #42 count?

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Does Mariano Rivera's #42 count?
    I specifically worded my question to eliminate Rivera. #42 was not retired in his honor, it was retired in Jackie Robinson's honor.

Please go to the Jets. It would drive the fan base up here in Boston insane.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    But they have the one of, if not the worst offensive lines in football.

Here's a good rundown of his likely landing spots.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...tons-next-home
    I dont know why alot of people are bringing up Washington. Its a franchise thats been terrible ever since Snyder bought the team...and will continue to be terrible as long as he owns it. And I'd be shocked if Peyton joins a team in the same division as Eli, and competes for the same division against him.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    I dont know why alot of people are bringing up Washington. Its a franchise thats been terrible ever since Snyder bought the team...and will continue to be terrible as long as he owns it. And I'd be shocked if Peyton joins a team in the same division as Eli, and competes for the same division against him.
    I agree, I don't see why Washington is a viable choice. Eli refused to play for the Chargers because they're in the same league as the Colts, did he not? I don't think the same league is necessarily a problem for them now. But I doubt they'd be willing to play each other twice a year.

I think the top suitors are Dolphins, Cards, Hawks, Jets, Chiefs, 49ers. The Titans should be a player imo, they'd have a good chance of landing him too.

NYYF HOF

Unfortunately, I think it's going to be the Dolphins. And if they can sign Wayne too, they'd be dangerous. Makes getting to the playoffs that much tougher.

Quote Originally Posted by pjfan View Post
    Unfortunately, I think it's going to be the Dolphins. And if they can sign Wayne too, they'd be dangerous. Makes getting to the playoffs that much tougher.
    For the Jets.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corsari42 View Post
    I agree, I don't see why Washington is a viable choice. Eli refused to play for the Chargers because they're in the same league as the Colts, did he not? I don't think the same league is necessarily a problem for them now. But I doubt they'd be willing to play each other twice a year.

I think the top suitors are Dolphins, Cards, Hawks, Jets, Chiefs, 49ers. The Titans should be a player imo, they'd have a good chance of landing him too.
    If I remember correctly, the reason Eli didn't want to go to the Chargers was about the organization, and not the conference they played in

Quote Originally Posted by pjfan View Post
    I think Miami is the frontrunner too....I give the Cardinals, Seahawks and Jets an outside chance in that order. Manning and Brady in the same division playing twice a year would be interesting.

Thread Information