+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 31 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1203

Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

Two consecutive poor starts from Phil. Needs to improve before next time. Young Steinbrenner's point about not having an out pitch has been spoken about only a few million times over the past few years. Until he masters a change up, he's never going to consistently dominate. That said, still pleased overall with him this year.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Cy Young

He's AJ Burnett. Fastball/curveball, if one of those isn't working, he's screwed.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Wait what? You gave up a 6 spot to that lineup? I try and defend you as much I can Philly boy, but there really is no excuse to crap the bed like that.

That being said, he'll bounce back.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    He's AJ Burnett. Fastball/curveball, if one of those isn't working, he's screwed.
    Burnett at 26 Hughes current age had a much better fastball and a much sharper curve, in fact Id say Burnett at his total worst had a better curve than Hughes. Also Burnett struggled with his wildness and Hughes struggles with throwing way to many hittable pitches.
    If you listen to the fans you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

I wish he was Burnett. AJ actually missed bats and had a plus-offspeed pitch, Hughes has nothing.

NYYF Legend

i can't remember the last time i saw his jawline
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

I'd like to trade Hughes in the offseason

I think he'd make a better career in NL

what could we realistically get for him?
    RIP MR. STEINBRENNER

Quote Originally Posted by Young Steinbrenner View Post

I agree that Hughes would be better off in one of those big NL west parks. However, with his salary probably increasing to around $5 million in 2013 and begin FA eligible in 2 years he's not going to bring much in return.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Quote Originally Posted by young steinbrenner View Post
    i'd like to trade hughes in the offseason

i think he'd make a better career in nl

why

do

you

this?

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    I wish he was Burnett. AJ actually missed bats and had a plus-offspeed pitch, Hughes has nothing.
    Im pretty sure this statement is grounds for RO....
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne View Post
    Im pretty sure this statement is grounds for RO....
    Absolutely. Using the indicative rather than the subjunctive should not be permitted.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

You're a subjunctive.

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    why

do

you

this?

Why does that matter ?
    Ain't it EVIL to LIVE backwards

Quote Originally Posted by Young Steinbrenner View Post

The most optimistic outlook for Hughes, from another team, is that he's a league average pitcher (4 ERA) with questionable durability. Teams are so desperate for pitching that 1 year/5 million is a bargain for that, but it's not so great a bargain that a team would part with any valuable piece.

Nova could bring back a real player, though. I think he has a pretty similar value to Trevor Cahill at the time he was traded and he netted Jarrod Parker and a couple other guys. Cahill had a clearly unsustainable, but sparkly 2.97 ERA season under his belt and the deal was largely thought to be a ripoff so it's too much to expect that Nova would bring the same return. I think that's the ballpark, though. I still think I'd rather just keep him.

Addicted Member

OMG he is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by madjack View Post
    OMG he is awful.
    I can't honestly seeing the Yanks keeping him around for another year. He just isn't cutting it. He can't consistently pitch and as we can see tonight, he can't play his position either...

I guess if you're gonna suck, you might as well not let the runs count against your ERA.

Addicted Member

I hope that when everyone comes back from DL they remove this guy from the rotation.

NYYF Cy Young

He allowed 0 earned runs in 7 innings.
    He's the first AL pitcher to have at least 10 wins and at least 10 losses this season.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    He's the first AL pitcher to have at least 10 wins and at least 10 losses this season.
    He rebounded nicely but let's be honest, he has no one but himself to blame for those 4 runs in the 3rd.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    It's a good way to keep his earned runs at 0 by making error by himself.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Yankee_Fan View Post
    I can't honestly seeing the Yanks keeping him around for another year. He just isn't cutting it. He can't consistently pitch and as we can see tonight, he can't play his position either...
    From May 1st through August 1st Hughes pitched to a 3.40 ERA in 111.1 innings (17 GS, 6.5 IP/GS) with 92 K's and a 1.17 WHIP. Thats 3 months of some pretty consistently good pitching. He had 2 rough outings after that, but did a decent job of righting the ship tonight, with one really bad inning that he precipitated mixed into 6 otherwise solid ones.

Let's see how he finishes the year before writing him off for next season. Keep in mind this will only be his second full season as a starter, which says only shtty things about dude's durability, but does allow for a little room to hope he can string together more months like the 3 I cited above as his career progresses if he can stay on the damn field.

I thought it was going to be a long night after he gave up those four unearned runs in the third inning but at least he kept his composure & managed to pitch for four more innings without allowing another run.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YESSIR! View Post
    From May 1st through August 1st Hughes pitched to a 3.40 ERA in 111.1 innings (17 GS, 6.5 IP/GS) with 92 K's and a 1.17 WHIP. Thats 3 months of some pretty consistently good pitching. He had 2 rough outings after that, but did a decent job of righting the ship tonight, with one really bad inning that he precipitated mixed into 6 otherwise solid ones.

Let's see how he finishes the year before writing him off for next season. Keep in mind this will only be his second full season as a starter, which says only shtty things about dude's durability, but does allow for a little room to hope he can string together more months like the 3 I cited above as his career progresses if he can stay on the damn field.
    I really don't have any question that they'll bring him back next year, in some capacity. The only way he doesn't return is if someone wants to give up something significant for his final year of team control, which I find unlikely.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I really don't have any question that they'll bring him back next year, in some capacity. The only way he doesn't return is if someone wants to give up something significant for his final year of team control, which I find unlikely.
    The Yankees would be fools not to shop him, but yea you're probably right they won't get enough to deal him. That said with the 2014 payroll limit looming 2013 will in all likelihood be his last year in pinstripes.

Thread Information