+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 49 FirstFirst ... 23 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 43 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

I just picked him up on my fantasy team. I need K's and wins. Wish us luck.

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by bomber999 View Post
    I think he's had enough chances to make it work as a starter. It ain't happening. His stuff is underwhelming and his results have been less than underwhelming for most of his career as a starter. Not efficient, consistent, or effective enough to be a SP.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    I just picked him up on my fantasy team. I need K's and wins. Wish us luck.
    Good pickup.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by LIYanks View Post
    I still believe that Hughes will make a decent bottom-of-the-rotation starter.

If some of you can wait a full year for Pineda to come back, give Hughes a longer leash. He wasn't that bad today.
    Just saying.....

This would be a great time for a discussion of whether he's a number 1 pitcher, a number 2, 2.5, 1.75, and so on. Ah, the good old days.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

That start against the Angels is looking more and more like an anomaly.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    This would be a great time for a discussion of whether he's a number 1 pitcher, a number 2, 2.5, 1.75, and so on. Ah, the good old days.
    I kind of wonder how that would play out now... I imagine there would still be complaints that he's too reliant on his fastball and that he's rarely home on time for dinner.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Hughes broke that homer streak without giving one up tonight.
    Fire Cashman, but Hal Steinbrenner is the root of Yankee woes.

so can we all finally agree that hes a good starting pitcher?

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    so can we all finally agree that hes a good starting pitcher?
    I hope he doesn't believe that himself because I'm not satisfied yet. I think he's got another level in him.

NYYF MVP

http://sulia.com/channel/new-york-ya...source=twitter

Phil Hughes is 3-0 with a 1.69 ERA in June; 6-1 with a 3.27 ERA since May 6. Its big; I want to keep the streak going as long as we can. Guys are pitching well and you dont want to be the one that lets it down. Ill continue to try and get better between every start. Hopefully this keeps up.
    Does Hughes feel as good as he did in 2010? I feel like Im close. Were not going to be perfect every time. That first part of 2010, I was pitching really well. Id like to get back to that. Its a good step. Its a growing process, a learning process, trying to tweak some things and get better every time. Ill continue to do that, not necessarily thinking about, I want to pitch like this month two years ago, but trying to help the team now and pitch as well as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    He has sure looked like a #1 as of late. Still would like to see him refine some of his off speed stuff but glad to see him putting guys away. Is it me or have the foul balls off of him gone down? He seems more aggressive and looking to just put guys away which is great. Just imagine if he could bust out a adequate change up into that arsenal with his late life fastball.
    I'm too smooth you'll never see me comin', I'm never in a hurry I'm just movin' fast...

Quote Originally Posted by NewEraYanks2527 View Post
    He has sure looked like a #1 as of late. Still would like to see him refine some of his off speed stuff but glad to see him putting guys away. Is it me or have the foul balls off of him gone down? He seems more aggressive and looking to just put guys away which is great. Just imagine if he could bust out a adequate change up into that arsenal with his late life fastball.
    When you have a really good four seam fastball and can put it where you need to, you're able to be more aggressive and put guys away. He didn't throw one two seamer, cutter or CU last night. He's gone old school with a four seam fastball he can place in all four quadrants along with his curve ball. I wouldn't be surprise if that's by design from him and Rothschild. That doesn't mean he won't breakout the CU or the two seamer later this summer, but right now he has extreme confidence in his current pitching approach.

Most power pitchers will tell you that there is nothing more difficult to hit than a well placed four seam fastball.

NYYF Triple Crown

Phil Hughes, in the time I've been on this forum, has gone from being The Great Ace Hope to a bum to our future closer to our next ace to a bum to our next ace (?).
    "Never, never, never quit."-Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeesfan924 View Post
    Phil Hughes, in the time I've been on this forum, has gone from being The Great Ace Hope to a bum to our future closer to our next ace to a bum to our next ace (?).
    I don't think anybody saying he's going to be the next ace? Right now, he appears to be a solid #3 starter, what happens later on will determine whether he improves upon that ranking.

What a bum. Couldn't even get 10 K's

Devoted Member

Phil is pumping that fastball now, needs to mix in the curveball more, nice job

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    That start against the Angels is looking more and more like an anomaly.
    As I've said before, the Yankees need to put a restraining order on his family. He has no ability to stay focused and pitch well when they are in attendance.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    As I've said before, the Yankees need to put a restraining order on his family. He has no ability to stay focused and pitch well when they are in attendance.
    Weren't they in attendance in that Oakland game in 2010 when he absolutely dominated the A's in the first half of that season? Granted, it's the A's... but still!

Pretty sure they were in Oakland last year.

You can see it in his eyes.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

That damned Angels' Stadium has a bad effect on the Yankees in general so I'm not surprised that pitching there would get into Phil's head with it being his hometown park. If the Yankees end up having to play there in October, I hope they have the opportunity to set up their rotation so that Phil can pitch in the Bronx and not in Anaheim.

Now that homerun streak is gone, time for him to have his first scoreless start.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi View Post
    Now that homerun streak is gone, time for him to have his first scoreless start.
    If he doesn't throw a perfect game, I say we move him to the pen.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

I was admittedly skeptical when Hughes first began to pitch better, as I have generally been pretty unimpressed with his stuff overall. However, he really looks like a completely different pitcher now- he looks confident, aggressive, he is commanding his pitches well, and the results have been there pretty consistently over the last several starts. Apparently, Pettitte has had a very positive effect on him. I hope that Hughes continues to prove me dead wrong and has evolved into a consistent and effective starter. An effective Hughes so greatly deepens our rotation and really increases our chance to win the division (and go deep into the playoffs) considerably.

Thread Information