+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 49 FirstFirst ... 22 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 42 ... LastLast
    Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey View Post
    I like how Phil looks right now, but before we go crazy about his last start, keep in mind that for the last 3 or 4 seasons, he's pretty much owned Detroit.

Interesting point, although in the time he has "owned Detroit" Miggy is 7-14 3 HRs and 1 K off of him.

Yesterday 0-3 with 2 Ks.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Anybody have the stats on changes thrown/# for strikes?
    Ask and you shall receive:

He threw 5, 2 for strikes, none swinging

For the curve he threw 18, 11 for strikes and 3 were swinging.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi View Post
    Ask and you shall receive:

He threw 5, 2 for strikes, none swinging

For the curve he threw 18, 11 for strikes and 3 were swinging.
    Thanks...that's a pretty low percentage of the total.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Thanks...that's a pretty low percentage of the total.
    He didn't have to go to his changeup because his fastball and curveball were do dominate yesterday. With that said, it doesn't mean he'll do the same next time out as circumstances change as well as stuff-wise from game to game.
    Fire Cashman, but Hal Steinbrenner is the root of Yankee woes.

Without his fastball forcing batters to cheat, a spray chart like this for changeup is gonna get him hurt often.

It's getting better but it's still not a pitch you want him to throw more than 5, 10% of the time at most.

There is nothing wrong with that. Beckett had his best seasons as a Red Sox throwing 90+% fastballs and curveballs.

That and his fastball and curve that made Hughes the former No. 1 pitching prospect in baseball.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Its pretty much a neutral park leaning slightly towards a hitters park.
    What I meant was that Hughes being an FB pitcher, Comerica would help him big time if he started 15 games a year there. I wasn't taking anything away from his start yesterday. He was fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    He didn't have to go to his changeup because his fastball and curveball were do dominate yesterday. With that said, it doesn't mean he'll do the same next time out as circumstances change as well as stuff-wise from game to game.
    Understandable, but throwing it a little more often in game situations should help him get better at it. If he doesn't have his good FB and he can't locate the change he'll get hit hard. I'd like to see it thrown at least 10 times in any game where he throws 100+ pitches.
    Let the kids play.

Wow glad I found this board, I've been looking for some good Yankee talk.

Yeah but for Phil, would love to see him have a big 2nd half. Really needs to add a 3rd pitch to his FB/CB arsenal that he can locate consistently. Still can throw mid-90's and drop that hook in so I wouldn't give up hope just yet. Tons of pitchers throughout MLB history, even HOFamers, start putting it together in their late 20's.

NYYF Legend

Not sure anyone was more disappointed in Hughes' start to this season than I was after what happened during the second half of 2010 and of course 2011 following his stellar showing in the bullpen in 2009.

He deserves a lot of credit. Regardless of opponent, his workload has steadily increased during this stretch, and he's done an excellent job.
    GO YANKS
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 8, 9, 10, 15, 16, 20, 23, 32, 37, 42, 44, 46, 49, 51

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    What I meant was that Hughes being an FB pitcher, Comerica would help him big time if he started 15 games a year there. I wasn't taking anything away from his start yesterday. He was fantastic.
    Yesterday was closer to what was expected of him than any start since that infamous one in Texas.

All kidding aside, I hope he can build off this.
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFanJoe View Post
    Wow glad I found this board, I've been looking for some good Yankee talk.

Yeah but for Phil, would love to see him have a big 2nd half. Really needs to add a 3rd pitch to his FB/CB arsenal that he can locate consistently. Still can throw mid-90's and drop that hook in so I wouldn't give up hope just yet. Tons of pitchers throughout MLB history, even HOFamers, start putting it together in their late 20's.
    Welcome YankeeFanJoe.

Phil may indeed be a late bloomer. It took Randy Johnson a while to put it all together. Granted, Phil doesn't have RJ's stuff, but the potential is there to have a successful career if he stays healthy.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne View Post
    Yesterday was closer to what was expected of him than any start since that infamous one in Texas.

All kidding aside, I hope he can build off this.
    He also had a near no hitter against Oakland two years ago.

I have been very critical of Phil over the years, but I will now give him major credit. He looks like a different pitcher from the beginning of the year, and tonight commanded three pitches and wisely dropped the cutter. He has really pitched well lately. Keep it up!

Threw mainly four seamers max. being 95 while averaging 93 along with 15 changeups and 12 curveballs.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/...2F&prevDate=69
    Fire Cashman, but Hal Steinbrenner is the root of Yankee woes.

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Since May 1:

W: 5
    L: 2
    IP: 52
    H: 49
    BB: 12
    K: 46
    ERA: 3.81
    WHIP: 1.17
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    Since May 1:

W: 5
    L: 2
    IP: 52
    H: 49
    BB: 12
    K: 46
    ERA: 3.81
    WHIP: 1.17
    Thanks - he's definitely going in the right direction.

He really does look like a different pitcher out there now. So many guys are gravitating toward the cutter these days, but there's a big difference in throwing it and controling it. If he continues to work with it during practice sessions, he may one day be able to add it. Right now, he is doing okay without it. I think having Pettitte around is paying off with the rest of the starters. Not only can they look to him for advice/pointers, he's setting the bar for the others to keep up with him. Old guys rule.

NYYF Cy Young

I think what we're seeing now is what Phil is going to be; essentially, a solid #2 guy in the rotation. Which would be fantastic in my eyes. And let's not forget, he's still only 25.
    Attention Steinbrenner and front-office morons! Your triumphs mean nothing. You all stink. You can sit on it, and rotate! This is George Costanza. I fear no reprisal. Extension 5-1-7-0.

He's been here since the age of 20 with lots of injuries and transitions-- no wonder it's taken him a while to put it together
    I'm NO american born confused desi, but i love my yanks!

As premature as it was to call him a bust and want him traded for a bag of balls, it's just as premature to start calling him a #2 based on a good stretch.

That said, I've been optimistic since ST and getting more so. Hopefully he put the 2010 album on and is playing it backwards.

unless at least one of his secondary offerings improves even more and his command gets significantly more consistent, he's not going to be what most would consider a #2 on a decent to good staff.

I'll take what most would consider a #3, or even #4, out of him though. that's still a valuable commodity and somewhat more realistic, if things can break mostly the right way.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by unfamous loser View Post
    unless at least one of his secondary offerings improves even more and his command gets significantly more consistent, he's not going to be what most would consider a #2 on a decent to good staff.

I'll take what most would consider a #3, or even #4, out of him though. that's still a valuable commodity and somewhat more realistic, if things can break mostly the right way.
    This.

The only crappy thing about this situation is that he is figuring it out just as he begins to get expensive/reach FA. I believe next year is his last year of team control.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

This.

The only crappy thing about this situation is that he is figuring it out just as he begins to get expensive/reach FA. I believe next year is his last year of team control.
    Agree, although it could have been worse -- this could have happened next year.

Given the budget constraints for 2014, I find it hard to believe he is going to be a Yankee past next year. That said, it would be odd to see him leave as a FA.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

This.

Sounds like the rules are working as intended.

NYYF Legend

Maybe Phil is just glad to have his old workout partner back.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2008/02/2...and-hard-work/
    The pitchers also had a lot of running today. An exhausted Mussina came back to the clubhouse and said, “Tomorrow we’ll go to the airport to pull planes with our teeth.”

Phil Hughes sat slumped in his chair. He’s working out with Andy Pettitte in the morning and doing the running in the afternoon. By the end of the day, he can barely move.

“You’re only 22, you should be fine,” Mussina said.

“I’m 21,” Hughes said.

“See?” Mussina said. “I’m old, I can complain.”

I'm still cautious. But I've been loving what has been doing lately.

Thread Information