+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

You can't post .gifs on this board because there are people who are stuck in the 90's and still use dial-up. Hip hop is pretty much anthrax.

I've seen half a dozen gifs on this board in the last few days alone.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

I'm pretty sure Tek means gif as a signiture which happened to me. Though I just posted one in the Montero thread and nothing has come of it.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    He could well be, and as a Hughes fan and defender, I truly hope you are bright. Nevertheless, he is now running out of starts to keep himself in the rotation given the options we have.
    What options? Garcia? Pineda? Do people really want to run Garcia out there every 5 days instead of giving Hughes time to reach his potential? Pineda - isn't it about time we hear about the inevitable "setback?" We won't see him for a while. Pettitte? It's hilarious how people just assume he's going to be effective at his age after a year off.
    Plays the game the wrong way.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Gigi Buffon View Post
    What options? Garcia? Pineda? Do people really want to run Garcia out there every 5 days instead of giving Hughes time to reach his potential? Pineda - isn't it about time we hear about the inevitable "setback?" We won't see him for a while. Pettitte? It's hilarious how people just assume he's going to be effective at his age after a year off.
    I love how the word "potential" is still thrown around with Hughes. First it's his vision, then it's adding another pitch or his health.It seems there's always an excuse with him, how about the fact that he's just not a very good pitcher.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eaganmafia View Post
    I love how the word "potential" is still thrown around with Hughes. First it's his vision, then it's adding another pitch or his health.It seems there's always an excuse with him, how about the fact that he's just not a very good pitcher.
    25 year olds generally get a longer leash to prove themselves.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Unfortunately, not in New York.

NYYF MVP

And at what point does it go past proving yourself and reality sets in that this guy isnt gonna be the stud we all hoped he would be? At what point do you look at his stuff and realize I'm sure he can have a career as a backend #5, but he's not an arm you keep giving chance after chance when he's shown no ablity (outside a handful of starts in the first half a couple years back) to become much of anything.

And at what point does it go past proving yourself and reality sets in that this guy isnt gonna be the stud we all hoped he would be? At what point do you look at his stuff and realize I'm sure he can have a career as a backend #5, but he's not an arm you keep giving chance after chance when he's shown no ablity (outside a handful of starts in the first half a couple years back) to become much of anything.
    Isn't the context of the discussion Hughes as a #5? Who is saying he is goin to be a stud at this point? I you're confident he can be a #5, what's the point of arguing since that is what he is (or even a #6 when Pettitte/Pineda be one available)?

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Isn't the context of the discussion Hughes as a #5? Who is saying he is goin to be a stud at this point? I you're confident he can be a #5, what's the point of arguing since that is what he is (or even a #6 when Pettitte/Pineda be one available)?
    The discussion was about someone/people using the word "potential" like he's suddenly gonna become that beast we thought he was in the minors. But yes, I think he can be a wildly inconsistant backend starter.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    Unfortunately, not in New York.
    Pettitte is expected in early May, what is the ETA on Pineda?

When Pettitte is ready I assume it comes down to Freddy v Phil for 5th starter and I think I'd rather take my chances with the kid.

When Pindea comes back, assuming he regains his lost velocity, the Yanks can reasses then assuming the have 6 or 7 healthy starters at that point.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Pettitte is expected in early May, what is the ETA on Pineda?

When Pettitte is ready I assume it comes down to Freddy v Phil for 5th starter and I think I'd rather take my chances with the kid.

When Pindea comes back, assuming he regains his lost velocity, the Yanks can reasses then assuming the have 6 or 7 healthy starters at that point.
    Regarding the ETA on Pineda, we don't know for sure but it looks like one more bullpen session this week and then on to some minor league rehab starts beginning next week. He's getting close.

Whichever of Pettitte or Pineda is ready first, like you I'd much rather keep Phil in the rotation over Garcia.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    Regarding the ETA on Pineda, we don't know for sure but it looks like one more bullpen session this week and then on to some minor league rehab starts beginning next week. He's getting close.

Whichever of Pettitte or Pineda is ready first, like you I'd much rather keep Phil in the rotation over Garcia.
    Good to hear.

I imagine though it will be something like spring for Pindea and I'd expect something close to the full 30 day rehab on him. He was shut down for a full 2-weeks, no throwing so I'd imagine they will build his pitch count back up slowy in his rehabs given that he was the prize piece in the offseason deal, he's only 23 and they aren't lacking for SP depth just yet. Though a few more stinkers from Phil & Freddy might alter the time table.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    I've seen half a dozen gifs on this board in the last few days alone.
    It went unnoticed then.

It's time to give up hope that Hughes ever becomes a good starting pitcher. He has had success in the rotation for 2 months in his entire career. He just doesn't have the secondary stuff that it takes to be successful and he can't put hitters away. He is clearly not one of the 5 best starters on this team once Andy and Pineda come back.

That said, Hughes is my favorite player and will be a valuable piece out of the bullpen.

NYYF MVP

Either Hughes finds a breaking ball with break, or he starts painting the corners with his fastball. Some times a pitcher must change his approach when he's failing, it may have to do with men on base, or the quality of the batters.

Without fastball command he could be throwing 98mph's and he'll still get hit, it may be as simple as positioning his feet differently, or maybe he'll never get it right. Most of us are pulling for Phil and have been since he came up.

I think that I'm willing to give him a few more starts, but I'd really like to see a change in his approach let's at least try some different things, hey at this point he hasn't much to lose...

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Good to hear.

I imagine though it will be something like spring for Pindea and I'd expect something close to the full 30 day rehab on him. He was shut down for a full 2-weeks, no throwing so I'd imagine they will build his pitch count back up slowy in his rehabs given that he was the prize piece in the offseason deal, he's only 23 and they aren't lacking for SP depth just yet. Though a few more stinkers from Phil & Freddy might alter the time table.
    Yea I agree they're not going to rush Pineda back. They'll make sure he is right and won't rush him, so I'd probably exact around the full 30 days rehab which means we probably won't see him until around June (assuming no setbacks- knock on wood).

Pettitte just threw four innings so he's maybe 4 minor league starts away.

The next few starts for both Hughes and Garcia will be important. Whoever pitches better will keep their spot when Pettitte returns. Tie goes to Hughes.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Yea I agree they're not going to rush Pineda back. They'll make sure he is right and won't rush him, so I'd probably exact around the full 30 days rehab which means we probably won't see him until around June (assuming no setbacks- knock on wood).

Pettitte just threw four innings so he's maybe 4 minor league starts away.

The next few starts for both Hughes and Garcia will be important. Whoever pitches better will keep their spot when Pettitte returns. Tie goes to Hughes.
    There's no chance that Pettitte makes 4 more minor league starts.

You keep making backhanded comments about the kid like he is Jeff Karstens or something. The K rate suggests he has some type of ability.

And to the former point, I don't think he'll ever be a top of the rotation guy but I think he could be a good starter in the AL East especially if he could get the majority of his starts on the road or get traded to another team. NYS has really killed him.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    There's no chance that Pettitte makes 4 more minor league starts.
    They're talking about him returning May 15 or thereabouts, so I'd say they're planning on it
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Triple Crown

Shouldn't Garcia be the odd man out?

Hughes is still young. His upsides are still worthy of another full season of experimenting.

Quote Originally Posted by LIYanks View Post
    Shouldn't Garcia be the odd man out?

Hughes is still young. His upsides are still worthy of another full season of experimenting.
    He will be the odd man out when Pineda gets back.

NYYF MVP

You keep making backhanded comments about the kid like he is Jeff Karstens or something. The K rate suggests he has some type of ability.
    All hail SSS!!! Have you looked at the top 10 in K/9 this early in the season, there's alot of names that don't belong at the top of that list.

All hail SSS!!! Have you looked at the top 10 in K/9 this early in the season, there's alot of names that don't belong at the top of that list.
    Ironic that you are using that 2 starts into a season, but fine he has a career K/9 of 7.6.

Hughes/Robertson '12. groovitude's Avatar

Current K/9 Career K/9
    1 Aaron Harang 16.03 7.4
    2 Cole Hamels 13.87 8.5
    3 Felix Doubront 11.70 8.3

Johan Santana 11.70 8.9
    5 CC Sabathia 11.25 7.7
    6 Gio Gonzalez 10.97 8.6
    7 Colby Lewis 10.66 7.6

Danny Duffy 10.66 7.8
    9 Tim Lincecum 10.54 9.9
    10 Dan Haren 10.45 7.7

Phil Hughes 12.38 7.6