+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 ... LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 1203
  1. #176

    Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    I've heard before that there is no deception in the delivery of his curveball.

    It looked sharper and he used it more than the first start but I don't see many swings-and-misses.

    I was confused as to why he didn't pitch inside at all to Kendrick during his first two ABs

  2. #177
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by DontTradeMontero View Post
    I was confused as to why he didn't pitch inside at all to Kendrick during his first two ABs
    I hope the 3rd AB ended your confusion.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  3. #178
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Stony Brook, NY

    Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Hughes, the sad saga of pitching prospect development in the Yankeeland.

    CJ Wilson looked mighty fine today.

  4. #179

    Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LIYanks View Post
    Hughes, the sad saga of pitching prospect development in the Yankeeland.
    I don't understand the basis for blaming the organization instead of the player.

    Quote Originally Posted by LIYanks View Post
    CJ Wilson looked mighty fine today.
    He might have looked fine, but that doesn't mean the Yankees should have signed him. Another 5/$75M contract isn't what the Yankees need right now.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  5. #180
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tejas

    Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I don't understand the basis for blaming the organization instead of the player.
    Repeated blunders and failures of pitchers, for whatever reason.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

  6. #181
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Stony Brook, NY

    Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I don't understand the basis for blaming the organization instead of the player.
    Why not? Companies routinely train the new employees so that they're better prepared to perform on their jobs. In this case, Hughes does not get to map out his development within the Yankee system. The FO does.

    Maybe Hughes was just another overhyped prospect. If that's the case, it is still the organization's fault for failing to evaluate talent accurately.

  7. #182

    Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    He's GARBAGE.

    ALWAYS has been.

    If he was any other player besides one that had an excellent minor league career due to good fastball and mL pundits, he would have been gone a long long time ago. Phelps should replace him.

  8. #183
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by StaleMilk View Post
    He's GARBAGE.

    ALWAYS has been.

    If he was any other player besides one that had an excellent minor league career due to good fastball and mL pundits, he would have been gone a long long time ago. Phelps should replace him.
    What an awkwardly terrible post.

    "He's always been garbage, but the only reason he's still with the team is because of how great he was in the minors."

    What the balls?

  9. #184

    Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    What an awkwardly terrible post.

    "He's always been garbage, but the only reason he's still with the team is because of how great he was in the minors."

    What the balls?
    What's confusing? He's been given so many chances only because he's had mL success and due to the expectations from said success.

    Oh a stuff level, he's garbage.

  10. #185

    Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    I think he will get a few more chances but will eventually land in the bullpen. His stuff just translates better there, he throws strikes and works ahead of hitters, in the pen that fastball is 94 instead of 91 and he will probably get a few more swings and misses rather than foul backs and hits.

  11. #186
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Stony Brook, NY

    Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    The handling of Hughes has been amateurish since day one.

    I hope the FO would stop jerking him around. If he is going to fail as a starter, at least give him a full season to fail.

  12. #187
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too Close to Fenway

    Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LIYanks View Post
    The handling of Hughes has been amateurish since day one.

    I hope the FO would stop jerking him around. If he is going to fail as a starter, at least give him a full season to fail.
    This isn't Joba. Hughes' health has been a much bigger issue for him than the Yankees "jerking him around." As for your earlier posts, plenty of top pitching prospects never develop. It's an inexact science. It happens in every organization
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

  13. #188
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Stony Brook, NY

    Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    This isn't Joba. Hughes' health has been a much bigger issue for him than the Yankees "jerking him around." As for your earlier posts, plenty of top pitching prospects never develop. It's an inexact science. It happens in every organization
    No, developing young pitchers is not an exact science. I just thought that the responsiblities of nurturing these prospects rest on the shoulder of the organization.

    Give Hughes a full season to prove himself. There is no reason to jerk him around and throw him into the pen after a few starts.

  14. #189
    NYYF Triple Crown

    TheGameEpisode2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere, Center of Everywhere.

    Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    I think it's obvious at this point that he's just filling in until Pettitte and Pineda get back.

    Sad.

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Mo bends. Mo don't break.

  15. #190

    Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LIYanks View Post
    No, developing young pitchers is not an exact science. I just thought that the responsiblities of nurturing these prospects rest on the shoulder of the organization.

    Give Hughes a full season to prove himself.
    There is no reason to jerk him around and throw him into the pen after a few starts.
    He's had that. Multiple times. He's shown himself to be ineffective or injury prone.

  16. #191
    when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Probably gets 3 more starts while Andy builds up arm/leg strength but if they aren't 3 good ones he's probably pen bound.
    this makes sense, kind of the penciled-in plan, you would think. i tend to agree w phil's comments postgame that his stuff in general did look better, it was more a Q of "a few bad pitches" -- kind of "the AJ syndrome", only different. Girardi sez he's not gonna move Phelps in any time soon, so he's got a few more starts to turn it around. I guess i'm not willing to write him off just yet ...... skeptical, but willing to give it a short wait and see -- in part because there really isn't a better alternative.

    >> via lohud >> http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/04/14/postgame-notes-3/

  17. #192

    Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Hughes' next start is vsMIN, followed by @TEX then either vsDET (if they decide to completely skip Garcia's start using the 26th off day) or the series after that.
    If he can't hold down the Twins he's going to be in a bad position...

  18. #193
    Addicted Member
    LongtimeNYYFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Parts Unknown

    Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Hughes is running out of chances. Girardi has to keep him on a short leash in his next starts. He has shown promise but he just isn't living up to the expectations. At some point they need to decide if they want to move him to the pen or move him out. He's still young but he should have caught on by now.

  19. #194

    Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    There are reasons to be optimistic about Hughes (velo is up, he's getting strikeouts, 11 in 8 innings).

    Wanting to throw in the towel at this point is reactionary and stupid. Anyone who'd rather have Garcia than Hughes in the rotation is crazy.
    Plays the game the wrong way.

  20. #195
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigi Buffon View Post
    There are reasons to be optimistic about Hughes (velo is up, he's getting strikeouts, 11 in 8 innings).

    Wanting to throw in the towel at this point is reactionary and stupid. Anyone who'd rather have Garcia than Hughes in the rotation is crazy.
    At this point Hughes is not competing with Garcia. He's competing with Pettitte and Pineda.

  21. #196
    NYYF Triple Crown

    apalradio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

    Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gigi Buffon View Post
    There are reasons to be optimistic about Hughes (velo is up, he's getting strikeouts, 11 in 8 innings).

    Wanting to throw in the towel at this point is reactionary and stupid. Anyone who'd rather have Garcia than Hughes in the rotation is crazy.
    Actually, I think there are quite a few fans who have more faith in a Garcia start than a Hughes one, and I don't think it's fair or appropriate to call them crazy. In reality, Garcia has had more major league success than Hughes, and gives his team a better chance to win more often than Hughes seems to. Personally speaking, I've been hopeful of Hughes ultimately living up to his expectations ever since he fast tracked his way through the minor leagues. But let's face it, he's done very little to reward that sentiment, and it's becoming easier and easier to surrender hope that it would ever happen.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

  22. #197
    The Best Ever ! jnewmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Stax 1966

    Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Actually, I think there are quite a few fans who have more faith in a Garcia start than a Hughes one, and I don't think it's fair or appropriate to call them crazy. In reality, Garcia has had more major league success than Hughes, and gives his team a better chance to win more often than Hughes seems to. Personally speaking, I've been hopeful of Hughes ultimately living up to his expectations ever since he fast tracked his way through the minor leagues. But let's face it, he's done very little to reward that sentiment, and it's becoming easier and easier to surrender hope that it would ever happen.
    Kinda feel the same way about Phil and Joba, too. If you were around here when both of those guys were first coming up, you would have thought it was the second coming. Whatever happened, bad health, bad coaching, bad luck, etc. , it just does'nt seem to be coming to pass with these guys. I personally think both of them should be in the pen, but, I would'nt be surprised if the Yankees move on, one way or the other.
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

  23. #198
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Fort Myers

    Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    At this point Hughes is not competing with Garcia. He's competing with Pettitte and Pineda.
    I would hope they would keep Phelps in the bullpen, even at the expense of Hughes.

  24. #199
    NYYF Legend

    SLURPEE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York

    Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    He's a bust from what he's was suppose to be.

    I think it's best not to get caught up in pitching prospects. More often than not, they break your heart.

  25. #200

    Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    When is this experiment going to end?

    He doesn't have the stuff, endurance or durability to be a starter. He has a few brief stints of success, but just about every pitcher, over the course of 6 years, will have a decent streak.
    When the Yankees no longer feel the need to force him into the rotation every chance they get.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts