+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

I've heard before that there is no deception in the delivery of his curveball.

It looked sharper and he used it more than the first start but I don't see many swings-and-misses.

I was confused as to why he didn't pitch inside at all to Kendrick during his first two ABs

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DontTradeMontero View Post
    I was confused as to why he didn't pitch inside at all to Kendrick during his first two ABs
    I hope the 3rd AB ended your confusion.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Triple Crown

Hughes, the sad saga of pitching prospect development in the Yankeeland.

CJ Wilson looked mighty fine today.

Quote Originally Posted by LIYanks View Post
    Hughes, the sad saga of pitching prospect development in the Yankeeland.
    I don't understand the basis for blaming the organization instead of the player.

CJ Wilson looked mighty fine today.
    He might have looked fine, but that doesn't mean the Yankees should have signed him. Another 5/$75M contract isn't what the Yankees need right now.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I don't understand the basis for blaming the organization instead of the player.
    Repeated blunders and failures of pitchers, for whatever reason.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Why not? Companies routinely train the new employees so that they're better prepared to perform on their jobs. In this case, Hughes does not get to map out his development within the Yankee system. The FO does.

Maybe Hughes was just another overhyped prospect. If that's the case, it is still the organization's fault for failing to evaluate talent accurately.

He's GARBAGE.

ALWAYS has been.

If he was any other player besides one that had an excellent minor league career due to good fastball and mL pundits, he would have been gone a long long time ago. Phelps should replace him.

Quote Originally Posted by StaleMilk View Post
    He's GARBAGE.

ALWAYS has been.

If he was any other player besides one that had an excellent minor league career due to good fastball and mL pundits, he would have been gone a long long time ago. Phelps should replace him.
    What an awkwardly terrible post.

"He's always been garbage, but the only reason he's still with the team is because of how great he was in the minors."

What the balls?

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    What an awkwardly terrible post.

"He's always been garbage, but the only reason he's still with the team is because of how great he was in the minors."

What the balls?
    What's confusing? He's been given so many chances only because he's had mL success and due to the expectations from said success.

Oh a stuff level, he's garbage.

I think he will get a few more chances but will eventually land in the bullpen. His stuff just translates better there, he throws strikes and works ahead of hitters, in the pen that fastball is 94 instead of 91 and he will probably get a few more swings and misses rather than foul backs and hits.

NYYF Triple Crown

The handling of Hughes has been amateurish since day one.

I hope the FO would stop jerking him around. If he is going to fail as a starter, at least give him a full season to fail.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

The handling of Hughes has been amateurish since day one.

I hope the FO would stop jerking him around. If he is going to fail as a starter, at least give him a full season to fail.
    This isn't Joba. Hughes' health has been a much bigger issue for him than the Yankees "jerking him around." As for your earlier posts, plenty of top pitching prospects never develop. It's an inexact science. It happens in every organization
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    This isn't Joba. Hughes' health has been a much bigger issue for him than the Yankees "jerking him around." As for your earlier posts, plenty of top pitching prospects never develop. It's an inexact science. It happens in every organization
    No, developing young pitchers is not an exact science. I just thought that the responsiblities of nurturing these prospects rest on the shoulder of the organization.

Give Hughes a full season to prove himself. There is no reason to jerk him around and throw him into the pen after a few starts.

NYYF Triple Crown

I think it's obvious at this point that he's just filling in until Pettitte and Pineda get back.

Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Mo bends. Mo don't break.

No, developing young pitchers is not an exact science. I just thought that the responsiblities of nurturing these prospects rest on the shoulder of the organization.

Give Hughes a full season to prove himself.
    There is no reason to jerk him around and throw him into the pen after a few starts.
    He's had that. Multiple times. He's shown himself to be ineffective or injury prone.

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Probably gets 3 more starts while Andy builds up arm/leg strength but if they aren't 3 good ones he's probably pen bound.
    this makes sense, kind of the penciled-in plan, you would think. i tend to agree w phil's comments postgame that his stuff in general did look better, it was more a Q of "a few bad pitches" -- kind of "the AJ syndrome", only different. Girardi sez he's not gonna move Phelps in any time soon, so he's got a few more starts to turn it around. I guess i'm not willing to write him off just yet ...... skeptical, but willing to give it a short wait and see -- in part because there really isn't a better alternative.

>> via lohud >> http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/04/14/postgame-notes-3/

Hughes' next start is vsMIN, followed by @TEX then either vsDET (if they decide to completely skip Garcia's start using the 26th off day) or the series after that.
    If he can't hold down the Twins he's going to be in a bad position...

Addicted Member

Hughes is running out of chances. Girardi has to keep him on a short leash in his next starts. He has shown promise but he just isn't living up to the expectations. At some point they need to decide if they want to move him to the pen or move him out. He's still young but he should have caught on by now.

There are reasons to be optimistic about Hughes (velo is up, he's getting strikeouts, 11 in 8 innings).

Wanting to throw in the towel at this point is reactionary and stupid. Anyone who'd rather have Garcia than Hughes in the rotation is crazy.
    Plays the game the wrong way.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Gigi Buffon View Post
    There are reasons to be optimistic about Hughes (velo is up, he's getting strikeouts, 11 in 8 innings).

Wanting to throw in the towel at this point is reactionary and stupid. Anyone who'd rather have Garcia than Hughes in the rotation is crazy.
    At this point Hughes is not competing with Garcia. He's competing with Pettitte and Pineda.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Gigi Buffon View Post

Actually, I think there are quite a few fans who have more faith in a Garcia start than a Hughes one, and I don't think it's fair or appropriate to call them crazy. In reality, Garcia has had more major league success than Hughes, and gives his team a better chance to win more often than Hughes seems to. Personally speaking, I've been hopeful of Hughes ultimately living up to his expectations ever since he fast tracked his way through the minor leagues. But let's face it, he's done very little to reward that sentiment, and it's becoming easier and easier to surrender hope that it would ever happen.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Actually, I think there are quite a few fans who have more faith in a Garcia start than a Hughes one, and I don't think it's fair or appropriate to call them crazy. In reality, Garcia has had more major league success than Hughes, and gives his team a better chance to win more often than Hughes seems to. Personally speaking, I've been hopeful of Hughes ultimately living up to his expectations ever since he fast tracked his way through the minor leagues. But let's face it, he's done very little to reward that sentiment, and it's becoming easier and easier to surrender hope that it would ever happen.
    Kinda feel the same way about Phil and Joba, too. If you were around here when both of those guys were first coming up, you would have thought it was the second coming. Whatever happened, bad health, bad coaching, bad luck, etc. , it just does'nt seem to be coming to pass with these guys. I personally think both of them should be in the pen, but, I would'nt be surprised if the Yankees move on, one way or the other.
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    At this point Hughes is not competing with Garcia. He's competing with Pettitte and Pineda.
    I would hope they would keep Phelps in the bullpen, even at the expense of Hughes.

NYYF Legend

He's a bust from what he's was suppose to be.

I think it's best not to get caught up in pitching prospects. More often than not, they break your heart.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    When is this experiment going to end?

He doesn't have the stuff, endurance or durability to be a starter. He has a few brief stints of success, but just about every pitcher, over the course of 6 years, will have a decent streak.
    When the Yankees no longer feel the need to force him into the rotation every chance they get.

Thread Information