+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by YESSIR! View Post
    Hughes' fastball was ridiculous tonight. He was spotting it at will, running it in on guys hands for weak contact, elevating, and straight blowing it by people. I counted at least 9 whiffs, and I believe all four of his K's were swinging at 92-93 mph fastballs.

Bad news was his curveball looked like crap. I think every hit he gave up came on rolling CB's that didn't do a whole lot.

Changeup was ok. Had 1 swinging strike that set up a next pitch strikeout on a FB he blew by some schmuck.
    Good assessment. That's pretty much what I saw from Hughes tonight as well.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkface View Post
    Hughes secondary stuff is such a work in progress. Fastball very good. Curve bad. Change up mediocre. Cutter cant stop cutting down the middle of the plate.

Wish he'd just go with a slider/split/power curve instead of the 75 mph trash he is throwing now. His fastball is so good it needs a complement worthy of the beastlyness.
    His location was very good with FB. Agree on the other pitches. Still he's in a better place than a year ago.
    Plays the game the wrong way.

He was dealing last night. Friday cant come fast enough!

Had a couple of decent curves. FB looked good.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

It may be time for Hughes 2.50 to chime in...Phil's looking sharp.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    It may be time for Hughes 2.50 to chime in...Phil's looking sharp.
    Haha, that guy had Phil pegged for some Cy Young numbers.

NYCrusader perfectly describes in his various posts the feelings of most Yankee fans, and the chance that Hughes has to change his career narrative. I believe Hughes has the capacity to change that narrative in a most positive way, and I hope this is the year we find out.
    Royal Flush: Hughes, Sabathia, Betances, Brackman, Banuelos.

I actually think he's pitching pretty well today.

NYYF Legend

I think that it was a disappointing start in the sense that he was only able to go 4.2 innings and it took too many pitches for him to get through the Rays order. True enough that he kept the game close but he just wasn't able to put anybody away consistently, without throwing too many pitches.

NYYF Legend

Ibanez in RF didn't do him any favors.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Ibanez in RF didn't do him any favors.
    But to be fair, even if Swisher was in the game, I'm not sure that he makes the play and it would have probably been a run scoring single. Phil was able to limit the damage and he didn't let the game get away which is good. I just wanted to see him go deeper instead of forcing Joe to use the pen in the 5th.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    But to be fair, even if Swisher was in the game, I'm not sure that he makes the play and it would have probably been a run scoring single. Phil was able to limit the damage and he didn't let the game get away which is good. I just wanted to see him go deeper instead of forcing Joe to use the pen in the 5th.
    Can't argue about the (lack of) length, though I do think with some better defense and maybe Stewart properly catching (i.e. not dropping) that 1-2 FB to Longoria (strike-called-ball) that 27 pitch first inning turns out a lot differently.

Regardless of the excuses, I think Phil's stuff looked really good and this was a positive start overall. He's finally using his changeup as a real weapon rather than just showing it occasionally. He mixed his pitches and threw a ton of offspeed while the fastball was as good as ever. I'm optimisitc he'll build on this start and keep doing so as the month progresses.

I think that it was a disappointing start in the sense that he was only able to go 4.2 innings and it took too many pitches for him to get through the Rays order. True enough that he kept the game close but he just wasn't able to put anybody away consistently, without throwing too many pitches.
    Story of his career, so far,
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    Story of his career, so far,
    At this point, if he can just be a league-average starter and a solid #4, I'll take it.

Agreed...I was totally dissapointed with our pitching as a whole, as we made a below average lineup look like the 27 Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Agreed...I was totally dissapointed with our pitching as a whole, as we made a below average lineup look like the 27 Yankees.
    The Rays just looked better prepared than the Yanks

It almost looked like they were stealing signs- they were prepared for what we were throwing

Their oddball defensive alignments were spot on also

Phil got a lot of swings and misses and minimized damage. His stuff- curve and change were better than anytime I can remember recently. I think it was an encouraging start
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

He looked very good, despite the high pitch count. I think he was victim to a bit of bad luck, but he was reminiscent of first-half-of-2010 Hughes with his high fastball that guys were swinging through.

Pitched well. Needs to be more efficient but it doesn't help having Raul "feet and hands of stone" Ibanez in rightfield.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Phil will have a good year. That is all.
    You know they are not real pies, right?

"I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

NYYF Legend

change up looked good, but I hope he doesnt keep giving up HRs
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    change up looked good, but I hope he doesnt keep giving up HRs
    Hopefully the emergence of that changeup will cut down on some of those HR's. Lefty power-bats have always been Hughes' biggest weakness. If he doesn't get ahead in the count and is able to expand on those guys, they just sit fastball in favorable counts until he throws one over that they can demolish. A usable changeup will obviously mitigate the damage a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by YESSIR! View Post
    Hopefully the emergence of that changeup will cut down on some of those HR's. Lefty power-bats have always been Hughes' biggest weakness. If he doesn't get ahead in the count and is able to expand on those guys, they just sit fastball in favorable counts until he throws one over that they can demolish. A usable changeup will obviously mitigate the damage a bit.
    Have been saying this for over three years and probably longer: Hughes must use and improve his change up. Without it, he'll never be what we need him to be.

NYYF Legend

pena's almost-HR was off a changeup up

what i'm seeing from hughes is he's still not fooling htiters with any of his off-speed stuff... and when his FB isn't on, he's gonna have trouble putting hitters away
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post

what i'm seeing from hughes is he's still not fooling htiters with any of his off-speed stuff... and when his FB isn't on, he's gonna have trouble putting hitters away
    Which means he's not improved in the last five years.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post

While I agree about his fastball, you can say the same thing about, like, 80% of the pitchers in baseball. There are very few guys who can go out there with a lousy fastball and still have a lot of success.

Anyway, Hughes got several swings and misses on the changeup in fastball counts, not to mention getting guys way out in front of it for foul balls to get back in the count when he was behind. He also dropped in a handful of first-pitch curveballs for strikes, as well as locating it for strikes in fastball counts. In other words, he was able to fool hitters with his offspeed stuff.

The only thing I haven't seen in the last few games that is discouraging in terms of stuff is his inability to generate whiffs with his curveball. He's used it more to steal strikes and keep hitters honest than outright attack them.

Thread Information