+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

21 years old: League Average starter despite injuries
    22 years old: Barely pitched due to injury
    23 years old: Dominant reliever
    24 years old: All Star Starter
    25 years old: Injured and not effective

For those of you who say "I'm just going by what i've seen"... This is what you've seen...

Two healthy seasons...Great reliever, all star starter
    one semi healthy season...League average starter
    two NOT healthy seasons... crap

There is literally no reason to go in a different direction if Phil is healthy. There is no reason to think he will "probably suck" or "not buy that he can start".

NYYF MVP

The only year which Hughes pitched awesome was when he was a dominant 8th inning guy.

His All-Star season was for the 1st half and at the time was a questionable pick because he was starting to struggle but Girardi picked the reserves and understandably went with his guy.

His era+ for his "All Star" season was as shade above average at 103.

Facts don't lie Phil Hughes has been literally a league average pitcher with a career era+ of 100.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ugheph01.shtml

Based on the expectations he came up as being literally the best pitching prospect in all of baseball I don't see how you can not understand the disappointment and claim it's not warranted.

He is 25 and he still has time to build a solid career for himself but the post above is pure spin and not good spin at that when you factor in who Phil Hughes the prospect was.

If on that April night in 2007 against the Blue Jays a prospect expert had to predict where Phil Hughes the 21 year old top pitching in all of baseball would be in 2012 at the age of 25 they would have predicted competing for Cy Youngs not a guy who came into Spring Training at the age of 25 competing for the 5th starter spot.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrusader View Post
    His All-Star season was for the 1st half and at the time was a questionable pick because he was starting to struggle but Girardi picked the reserves and understandably went with his guy.
    He was a selection of the other AL players that year, not Girardi.
    He also opened the season 10-1 but starting showing cracks around mid-June.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    He was a selection of the other AL players that year, not Girardi.
    He also opened the season 10-1 but starting showing cracks around mid-June.
    If true I stand corrected but yea the cracks of what was to come in the 2nd half were in full effect by the time the All Star selection came.

NYYF Legend

If true I stand corrected but yea the cracks of what was to come in the 2nd half were in full effect by the time the All Star selection came.
    Yeah he had a rough 2nd half.

I'd still rather see what he has as a starter than give to job to Garcia. As they say, hope springs eternal.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF MVP

Agree completely Phil should get every chance to succeed he is 25, talented and came through our system.

It was a pseudo 5th starter battle after all.

Agree completely Phil should get every chance to succeed he is 25, talented and came through our system.

It was a pseudo 5th starter battle after all.
    Just like it was a couple of yrs ago.

Citing the story here: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yan...pineda-not-yet It appears Hughes may be set to start behind Kuroda in the regular season opening series. What other reason would Joe have for saying "figure it out"?

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Hughes did look good in spring. Sub 1.000 WHIP and 2.0X ERA.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

The only year which Hughes pitched awesome was when he was a dominant 8th inning guy.

His era+ for his "All Star" season was as shade above average at 103.

Facts don't lie Phil Hughes has been literally a league average pitcher with a career era+ of 100.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ugheph01.shtml

Based on the expectations he came up as being literally the best pitching prospect in all of baseball I don't see how you can not understand the disappointment and claim it's not warranted.

He is 25 and he still has time to build a solid career for himself but the post above is pure spin and not good spin at that when you factor in who Phil Hughes the prospect was.

If on that April night in 2007 against the Blue Jays a prospect expert had to predict where Phil Hughes the 21 year old top pitching in all of baseball would be in 2012 at the age of 25 they would have predicted competing for Cy Youngs not a guy who came into Spring Training at the age of 25 competing for the 5th starter spot.
    He's not competing for a fifth starter spot. He never really was. he's not even the 4th starter. I'm disappointed Phil isn't one of the best pitchers in baseball too, but there is a difference between being realistically disappointed and hoping Phil Hughes pitches poorly so inferior pitchers make the rotation simply because your bitter that he isn't an Ace. Not saying you are doing this, but someone in this thread did/is.

I now like Phil Hughes because NYCrusader does not like him.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    I now like Phil Hughes because NYCrusader does not like him.
    Phil Hughes is one of my favorite players on the Yankees he was the first prospect I ever took a interest in when I was about 17 years old and he was lighting up the minor leagues.

Tell me what I said above that was incorrect or would lead you to believe I don't like him.

I would be more then happy to partake in a substantive baseball discussion if you disagreed with any of my statements on Phil.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BennyTheJetRodriguez View Post
    He's not competing for a fifth starter spot. He never really was. he's not even the 4th starter. I'm disappointed Phil isn't one of the best pitchers in baseball too, but there is a difference between being realistically disappointed and hoping Phil Hughes pitches poorly so inferior pitchers make the rotation simply because your bitter that he isn't an Ace. Not saying you are doing this, but someone in this thread did/is.
    You said what you said so I will respond accordingly but yes I didn't say that or "do this" so you probably are mistaking me with someone else.

Not trying to be a douche man but read my post again completely then come back to me.

I have said in other posts that Hughes does deserves a rotation spot because he is a home grown product who is still 25 with a lot of talent and time to prove himself.

I am one of the biggest fans of Phil Hughes the player as well as the person but one thing I am not is a fanboy when discussing anything Yankees.

A lot of the posters on this forum(not all) have a real problem differentiating constructive criticism with irrational commentary or as you put it in the context of Phil Hughes being "bitter" and react by throwing out extreme examples of hyperbole or putting words in peoples mouths.

I really don't see anything crazy with anything I said in the post above.

I'm hoping that this years' Hughes stats are similar to the 2010 season. An all-star in 2010, Hughes finished 18-8 with a 4.19ERA. He struck out 146 people and has a career WHIP of 1.303

If Phil stays healthy I think he will have a good year.

You said what you said so I will respond accordingly but yes I didn't say that or "do this" so you probably are mistaking me with someone else.

Not trying to be a douche man but read my post again completely then come back to me.

I have said in other posts that Hughes does deserves a rotation spot because he is a home grown product who is still 25 with a lot of talent and time to prove himself.

I am one of the biggest fans of Phil Hughes the player as well as the person but one thing I am not is a fanboy when discussing anything Yankees.

A lot of the posters on this forum(not all) have a real problem differentiating constructive criticism with irrational commentary or as you put it in the context of Phil Hughes being "bitter" and react by throwing out extreme examples of hyperbole or putting words in peoples mouths.

I really don't see anything crazy with anything I said in the post above.
    There isn't anything crazy about what you posted. I was just explaining my post breaking down Hughes' career year by year since it was called "spinning". That post was responding to a few posts that I think we can both agree were silly. One dude saying he hoped Phil pitched bad so he'd be put in the pen, another saying Phil was a huge disapointment based on what he saw. It seems you weren't one of these posters, so I wasn't talking to you.

NYYF MVP

I was just explaining my post breaking down Hughes' career year by year since it was called "spinning". I was responding to a few posts that I think we can both agree were silly. One dude saying he hoped Phil pitched bad so he'd be put in the pen, another saying Phil was a huge disapointment based on what he saw. It seems you weren't one of these posters, so I wasn't talking to you.
    You quoted me though.

You quoted me though.
    Ya. Again, only because I thought you said I was "spinning" facts. Was that not you? If it wasn't, my bad. Either way I hope you now see how I can "not understand" the disapointment of SOME on this board.

NYYF MVP

Ya. Again, only because I thought you said I was "spinning" facts. Was that not you? If it wasn't, my bad. Either way I hope you now see how I can "not understand" the disapointment of SOME on this board.
    It's all good bro simple misunderstanding but the spin comment was directed at your post #76 which I thought was spin and I explained why in my response to that post.

But I do respect your difference in opinion.

Hughes looks night and day different from this time last year. The baseball is just jumping out of his hand. his 92-93 looks like 95, just like the old days. He has excellent vertical break on his fastball.

Scorless inning for Hughes, Miami was making some good contact though.

Hughes secondary stuff is such a work in progress. Fastball very good. Curve bad. Change up mediocre. Cutter cant stop cutting down the middle of the plate.

Wish he'd just go with a slider/split/power curve instead of the 75 mph trash he is throwing now. His fastball is so good it needs a complement worthy of the beastlyness.

NYYF Legend

Hughes' fastball was ridiculous tonight. He was spotting it at will, running it in on guys hands for weak contact, elevating, and straight blowing it by people. I counted at least 9 whiffs, and I believe all four of his K's were swinging at 92-93 mph fastballs.

Bad news was his curveball looked like crap. I think every hit he gave up came on rolling CB's that didn't do a whole lot.

Changeup was ok. Had 1 swinging strike that set up a next pitch strikeout on a FB he blew by some schmuck.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkface View Post
    Hughes secondary stuff is such a work in progress. Fastball very good. Curve bad. Change up mediocre. Cutter cant stop cutting down the middle of the plate.

Wish he'd just go with a slider/split/power curve instead of the 75 mph trash he is throwing now. His fastball is so good it needs a complement worthy of the beastlyness.
    Yep, pretty much, though I've seen his curveball look much better this Spring than it did tonight when it looked like he just didn't have it. I only remember him throwing 1 cutter, the one Stanton got out in front of to fly out to end Hughes' first inning of work. Desired effect, though I agree it caught way too much of the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by YESSIR! View Post
    Hughes' fastball was ridiculous tonight. He was spotting it at will, running it in on guys hands for weak contact, elevating, and straight blowing it by people. I counted at least 9 whiffs, and I believe all four of his K's were swinging at 92-93 mph fastballs.

Bad news was his curveball looked like crap. I think every hit he gave up came on rolling CB's that didn't do a whole lot.

Changeup was ok. Had 1 swinging strike that set up a next pitch strikeout on a FB he blew by some schmuck.
    I dunno why but this made me lol

Remember the Kerry Wood, Tom Gordon curve ball Phil had when he came up. It's sad to think that it's now an ok to pretty good offering most nights. Hopefully he just needs to throw it more to get it back

Thread Information