+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 18 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 38 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I don't see why he'd have much trade value to a team like the Phillies. If they're trading Hamels, they're out of the race this year, meaning they'd be giving him up for one year of Hughes (before he hits FA). I'd think they'd want advanced prospects, or at least guys with much more time till FA
    Fair points. I guess I'm thinking that the Phillies might not want to go into full rebuilding mode and might feel Hughes can be a long-term and much less expensive option to sign.

Nah. Philly's going to want Banuelos or something.
    Team Northern Lights

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Nah. Philly's going to want Banuelos or something.
    Me too, as long as Baneulos's elbow really is nothing major
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

dont mess with the jesus dont_ya_know24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bomber999 View Post
    At this point, if he ends up as a serviceable back-end starter, I'd be happy. If he continues to pitch well, if I'm the Yankees, I look to sell high and see if he could be packaged for a front-end starter like Hamels.
    i might be missing something but the phillies arent going to give up and trade him. with the extra wild card, and the phillies just below .500.... if cc was in his contract year, yanks sure wouldnt trade him.
    I really thought I played great defense when the ball wasn't hit at me, Alex Rodriguez said.

Quote Originally Posted by dont_ya_know24 View Post
    i might be missing something but the phillies arent going to give up and trade him. with the extra wild card, and the phillies just below .500.... if cc was in his contract year, yanks sure wouldnt trade him.
    The Phillies will be buyers before they're sellers. Nobody is running away in that division and the Phillies have a good chance winning that division if they can get some decent run production.

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post

Hey - what he does there in Texas has a little merrit.
    If you baby the pitchers, they'll never grow up and be men.
    But you can't abuse them either.
    So there's a little bit of a line that needs to be drawn.

I agree!!!

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Please dump the cutter.
    Agree completely.

Also if you notice as the cutter has become a popular pitch with this generation of pitchers there has been a recent trend of starting pitchers that throw cutters at a high rate tending to experience velocity loss on their fastball which for the most part is not age related.

You need data to back that kind of claim since pitchers lose velocity all the time.

Also, just off top of my head, Shields and Cliff Lee's velocity actually went up as they threw more cutters.

40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

thank you Phil for rekindling my dormant interest in basketball.

PS como se dice Bullpen en Esperanto ??

I'm pretty sure the first cutter he threw all game got deposited into the seats for a HR. What a thoroughly useless pitch.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

This outing took away most of the goodwill he generated the past 4 or 5 starts or so. You have a 3 run lead before you throw a pitch and you have extra momentum considering their ace is knocked out due to injury and you can't even hold the lead. Hughes is one of the most frustrating pitchers this team has had in quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi View Post
    I'm pretty sure the first cutter he threw all game got deposited into the seats for a HR. What a thoroughly useless pitch.
    And what a thoroughly useless pitcher. I wasn't at all fooled by his halfway decent performances in his last couple of starts. This is a guy who will continue to pitch just well enough to stay in the rotation, but never well enough to be a consistently winning pitcher. Too bad his trade value is now next to nothing.
    "The fans like to see home runs, and we have assembled a pitching staff for their enjoyment."--Clark Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by Torre Must Go View Post
    This outing took away most of the goodwill he generated the past 4 or 5 starts or so. You have a 3 run lead before you throw a pitch and you have extra momentum considering their ace is knocked out due to injury and you can't even hold the lead. Hughes is one of the most frustrating pitchers this team has had in quite some time.
    He won't frustrate you if you just accept the fact that he sucks. Then it will be a feeling of resigned acceptance when he pitches like crap. Which is pretty much every time he faces a halfway decent lineup.

He won't frustrate you if you just accept the fact that he sucks. Then it will be a feeling of resigned acceptance when he pitches like crap. Which is pretty much every time he faces a halfway decent lineup.
    *Sigh* Truer words were never spoken.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

NYYF Legend

suboptimal
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

No sugar coating that outing, but in the very slightest defense of him, I thought ARod should have got that single by Pujols in the first and the 2005 reenactment.

He has such a horrible approach to attacking the hitters. He should have Kd Morales in the first and probably could have with a change or curve.

Edit: Ugh....just rewatched some of it. No adjustment in this guy. The Angels had a good timing on his FB and all he did was keep throwing it up in the zone on purpose mind you.
    Last edited by just-blaze; 05-29-12 at 01:09 AM.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Addicted Member

No control of his FB. Stake him to 3 runs in the first and he gives it back in the bottom of the inning. Frustrating to say the least. I get sick and tired of him spinning on his heels with his glove on his hip as he watches another ball sail into the OF for a hit.

He proves he cannot be consistent. Put him in the pen or try to move him. I don't get the front office's love for the guy.

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Jeez, it seems like some of you folks just thrive on bashing the guy.

When Hughes strung together 4 consecutive solid outings, no one says a word. He has a stinker last night and everyone is calling for his head again. Wow. This coming from a fan base that tolerated 2 full seasons garbage from AJ Burnett...

Sure, the guy had a terrible outing last night but some of the comments about sending him to the pen again are really out there.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JSG View Post
    thank you Phil for rekindling my dormant interest in basketball.

PS como se dice Bullpen en Esperanto ??
    Bulpen, fogon.... maybe?
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post

When Hughes strung together 4 consecutive solid outings, no one says a word. He has a stinker last night and everyone is calling for his head again. Wow. This coming from a fan base that tolerated 2 full seasons garbage from AJ Burnett...

Sure, the guy had a terrible outing last night but some of the comments about sending him to the pen again are really out there.
    AJ Burnett was exactly who we thought he was: a mercurial guy who can string it together but always susceptible to the big inning.

Hughes is a homegrown bust. He's not developed a repertoire necessary to compete at this level, and it's frustrating to see the most storied team in the sport fail at such an important aspect of team development.

There's WAY more going on with Hughes than another hit/miss FA signing.

Not true Burnett was blasted throughout his Yankee career.

Quote Originally Posted by LongtimeNYYFan View Post
    No control of his FB. Stake him to 3 runs in the first and he gives it back in the bottom of the inning. Frustrating to say the least. I get sick and tired of him spinning on his heels with his glove on his hip as he watches another ball sail into the OF for a hit.

He proves he cannot be consistent. Put him in the pen or try to move him. I don't get the front office's love for the guy.
    It's all on Cashman he is a big supporter of Hughes.

NYYF MVP

Fair points. I guess I'm thinking that the Phillies might not want to go into full rebuilding mode and might feel Hughes can be a long-term and much less expensive option to sign.
    Nothing Phil Hughes has done as a starter screams long-term piece of a championship team.

NYYF Legend

IDK. His ERA sits at 5.64, his WHIP 1.443 and his ERA+ 76 on the season. Hard to defend him much at this point.

I guess if you want to look for a silver lining his 8.4 K/9, 2.2 BB/9 and 3.77 K:BB are all very good on the season.

He just gives up too many hits and the hits he gives up are often loud ones. Tells me he's either missing location badly or not fooling anyone. It sure doesn't seem like he's been "unlucky" - except maybe Granderson & Swisher running into each other on that ball in the gap but that ball was stung pretty good even though either should have been able to catch it.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

He's a failed prospect who has neither the durability nor repertoire to be a successful ML starting pitcher. He is a reliever who is masquerading as a starting pitcher both due to perceived lack of other options and, IMHO, Cashman's desire to validate his plan to build pitching from within and perhaps justify the Santana (and other?) non-trades. Prospects fail all the time. It's time for the Yankees to cut their losses, move him to the pen or to another team if they are desperate enough to give the Yankees something good for him.

Thread Information