+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 133 FirstFirst ... 13 53 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 73 113 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 3324
    NYYF Legend

Re: The StubHub Thread

I haven't tried this out yet, but sounds like it has potential if its legit:

"FromTheBroker is a browser extension that shows you the source (broker) of many tickets listed on StubHub. By purchasing your ticket directly from the broker, you can typically save around 15%-20% off the purchase price, since neither the seller nor the buyer are have to pay StubHub commissions. Currently, FromTheBroker is able to find the source of approximately 1 out of every 5 tickets listed on StubHub."

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...iefpfknmjgipig

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post

"FromTheBroker is a browser extension that shows you the source (broker) of many tickets listed on StubHub. By purchasing your ticket directly from the broker, you can typically save around 15%-20% off the purchase price, since neither the seller nor the buyer are have to pay StubHub commissions. Currently, FromTheBroker is able to find the source of approximately 1 out of every 5 tickets listed on StubHub."

it is legit

interview with the Fan Freedom guys (stub hub funded). they throw a few jabs at the Yankees

http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=804042

I sympathize with most points, I do not necessarily disagree with paperless tickets. I've easily gotten great seats to concerts (mostly Springsteen in Philly and NJ) because I knew I was definitely going and scalper bots did not bother to grab them because resale is hard. Naturally, StubHub would be against that. As a STH, I can understand the other side of the argument as I wouldn't want restrictions like that when I'm trying to unload tickets to games I can not make. I guess I see a distinction between season tickets and 1-off big shows

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonMan View Post
    interview with the Fan Freedom guys (stub hub funded). they throw a few jabs at the Yankees

http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=804042

I sympathize with most points, I do not necessarily disagree with paperless tickets. I've easily gotten great seats to concerts (mostly Springsteen in Philly and NJ) because I knew I was definitely going and scalper bots did not bother to grab them because resale is hard. Naturally, StubHub would be against that. As a STH, I can understand the other side of the argument as I wouldn't want restrictions like that when I'm trying to unload tickets to games I can not make. I guess I see a distinction between season tickets and 1-off big shows
    Good post. I think this part of the article is what the Yankees management is stuck on:

"Bon Jovi, on their tour, and The Rolling Stones … they see what the secondary market does with their tickets, and they say, “Skip the secondary market. We’re going to make that money.” And we have no trouble with that. Not a problem. "

Think back to 2008, last year at OYS, the prices sellers were getting on StubHub were high. That was the market. Then the Yankees said to themselves, “Skip the secondary market. We’re going to make that money.” So they priced their seats much higher at NYS. But markets shift. The economy tanked, prices on the secondary market tanked, STHers figured out that they couldn't buy and resell and count on a nice profit at the end of a season and stopped renewing. Attendance has dropped.

So, the Yankees say to themselves, the problem is StubHub and the solution is price floors. That's not the problem and that's the wrong solution. Why don't the Yankees hire an economist to explain market forces to them? Adam Smith taught us in 1776 - If demand decreases and supply remains unchanged, a surplus occurs, leading to a lower equilibrium price. Note to Yankees management - this is old news.

Randy Levine will not be pleased with this bit of news.

http://riveraveblues.com/2013/02/yan...matchups-81915

Yankees continue to struggle to sell high-priced seats for all but the top matchups

Currently, New York Yankees tickets in the Bronx for the 2013 season run about $114 dollars on average. While this figure seems promising on the surface and indicative of a rebound in demand for Yankees tickets, the underlying details actually seem to suggest a further decline in Yankees ticket prices. Typically, the market exhibits some downward pressure on ticket prices between the beginning of Spring Training and the start of the season. At this time last year, the average ticket ran about $135 dollars — an 18% premium to where they are now — before settling at the average of $75 dollars once the season began.

I am guessing what this does is compare StubHub listings with identical listings on TicketNetwork and or EI, where the broker IS listed and then provides the selling broker information to the potential StubHub buyer, opening the door for the buyer to save potentially 25% (the 10% buyer fee + offering the seller 15% less since that would be what SH would deduct from the sellers price as commission)

Quote Originally Posted by pacersyankees View Post
    I am guessing what this does is compare StubHub listings with identical listings on TicketNetwork and or EI, where the broker IS listed and then provides the selling broker information to the potential StubHub buyer, opening the door for the buyer to save potentially 25% (the 10% buyer fee + offering the seller 15% less since that would be what SH would deduct from the sellers price as commission)
    You can go on Seatgeek and see individual broker listings.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by pacersyankees View Post
    To match for sure I would think you need to have the actual seat numbers (meaning that stubhub may eventually phase out the disclosure of seat numbers). In practice it seems like this app would apply only to the more expensive listings, ie if you're looking to spend $200+

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bxboy View Post
    You can go on Seatgeek and see individual broker listings.

How does Seatgeek work?

I have listings on Stubhub and they do not show on Seatgeek but I do see Stubhub listings there.

To match for sure I would think you need to have the actual seat numbers (meaning that stubhub may eventually phase out the disclosure of seat numbers). In practice it seems like this app would apply only to the more expensive listings, ie if you're looking to spend $200+
    I would think at some point in time they would charge both broker and potential buyer to use the service, since that is who is really benefiting. Even if it gave you the wrong information on who the holding broker was (presuming either SH of Tnet redacted the seat numbers), you still would get an opportunity to buy direct from the broker seats that were advertised on SH in the same row and section.

Its actually a great idea and hell yes, if you were buying say 4 $300 seats, cutting out SH would save buyer $120 and give the buyer an opportunity to knock the price down even more as the seller would save $180. Only downside I see as a broker is you now open the door to potential charge backs since you are probably not getting the buyers signature on the CC slip, verifying ID etc. With Stubhub transactions- that is a risk they take, not you

Which to be prefectly frank, is a surprise to me. I thought for sure the Dodgers & Giants would be a hot ticket. But apparently the demand isn't there. In 2009 those would easily have been $100 and up for resale. Right now, you can get the first Dodgers (bloated payroll and all) for $24 per ticket including all fees on SH at the price break section of 413. The same ticket will be over $30 from ticketmaster when they finally go on sale, and you won't be able to get 413

http://www.stubhub.com/new-york-yank...-2013-4168624/

I'm shocked at the low NYY ticket prices on stubhub, without even the general public sale. To buy 2 tickets for the Dodgers first trip in since '81 for $48 all inclusive is amazing. To compare, it was very tough getting NYY tickets at Dodger Stadium. It took a while for me to get in to ticketmaster as soon as they went on sale, and the best I could get were Pavilion (bleachers) seats for $88.10 all inclusive straight from he Dodgers.

Padres tickets are not on sale yet as I would like to catch the Friday 8/2 game in SD. So far on stubhub, the prices are sky high.

So, can we presume there is huge demand to see the Yankees just about everywhere except in the Bronx. Even the subway series games at Citi are double the price on stubhub than they are at the Stadium. (And the greedy Mets charge a face starting at $63 to see the Yankees...without fees that probably bring it to over $70.)

I think Yankees ticket holders are going to get creamed on the secondary market, floor or no floor.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

I didn't renew. I'm kinda sad since I've had tickets since 2004 but I just can't afford them and can't sell the tickets to games I can't go to.

I am on the World Series board for Hartford though and our club has great tickets (full season) with play off tickets as well so I can buy those anytime I want. I just hated to give up my seniority but what does seniority even mean anymore in Yankee land?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    I just hated to give up my seniority but what does seniority even mean anymore in Yankee land?
    Not really, people with older seniority got select a seat appointments after some more recent accounts.

Seniority used to mean you got the best seats, now it doesn't matter at all because you can buy your way into any section at inflated values

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    I didn't renew. I'm kinda sad since I've had tickets since 2004 but I just can't afford them and can't sell the tickets to games I can't go to.

I am on the World Series board for Hartford though and our club has great tickets (full season) with play off tickets as well so I can buy those anytime I want. I just hated to give up my seniority but what does seniority even mean anymore in Yankee land?
    I dropped my Jim Beams after two years, and dropped my Saturday and Sunday plans this year. I kept 1 seat in the $90 plan just to keep seniority in case it ever means anything.. and will use the seat exchange so I eat less than the $90.

I did the same. I kept seniority and got 1 seat in 420b in the nine game value plan. I splurged the extra $5 a game since I can actually get to a day game for a long lunch (just no beer).

Randy Levine is getting called out early on.....

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...EL1BrwtHl1NgFP

StubHub persists, serves up Yanks tix for $8

By JOHN CRUDELE
    Last Updated: 12:22 AM, February 7, 2013
    Posted: 11:52 PM, February 6, 2013

The Yankees may think they got rid of StubHub by signing a deal with TicketMaster — but that’s not the case.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bxboy View Post
    Randy Levine is getting called out early on.....

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...EL1BrwtHl1NgFP

StubHub persists, serves up Yanks tix for $8

By JOHN CRUDELE
    Last Updated: 12:22 AM, February 7, 2013
    Posted: 11:52 PM, February 6, 2013

The Yankees may think they got rid of StubHub by signing a deal with TicketMaster — but that’s not the case.
    Not exactly an "Expose" on the practice, pretty much a rubber stamp of what's already out there. Where's the story on the "WHY?" What will the Yankees say in June and July when the half filled stadium (mostly upper deck and bleachers with nobody downstairs) is laying off personnel and vendors? "Oh, we've looked at the market and determined that we should raise prices to stem the shortfalls in profits"
    "Bacon, The Candy of Meats"

Good stuff! It baffles me that the Yankees would think resellers wouldn't go the extra mile on SH to unload tickets at whatever prices the market would take.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Flushing Roots View Post
    Good stuff! It baffles me that the Yankees would think resellers wouldn't go the extra mile on SH to unload tickets at whatever prices the market would take.
    The people in charge right now are not baseball people, they're essential luxury hotel/restaurant operators. They're in denial that their offering is no longer viewed as luxury in the marketplace and can't even contemplate coming to the market (lowering faces) instead of trying to pull the market to them. Trost and/or Levine will eventually get a big severance package to go away and the new guy in charge will have to clean up this mess. It's just a question of when, not if

The people in charge right now are not baseball people, they're essential luxury hotel/restaurant operators. They're in denial that their offering is no longer viewed as luxury in the marketplace and can't even contemplate coming to the market (lowering faces) instead of trying to pull the market to them. Trost and/or Levine will eventually get a big severance package to go away and the new guy in charge will have to clean up this mess. It's just a question of when, not if
    Hopefully that 'when' is really soon.
    Levine reminds me too much of Krusty the Clown.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

No mention of shady short selling practices. Stubhub has taken the ticket scalper from the "back alley" and moved him or her on line.

Addicted Member

I've heard short selling on stubhub by the Yankees and others on here and I don't really understand how it works. I understand shorting stock on the market, making a bet that a stock price will fall and making money on the difference of the price when you shorted it (buying it at the lower price).

WTF does any of that have to do with baseball tickets and how do scalpers make money off this? If they are pushing the price down how do they not lose money since they are the ones holding the inventory?
    "Being the captain of the team, he always is there for us, and I appreciate that. He's my friend, my teammate and I love him." ~ Mariano Rivera about Derek Jeter.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey View Post
    I've heard short selling on stubhub by the Yankees and others on here and I don't really understand how it works. I understand shorting stock on the market, making a bet that a stock price will fall and making money on the difference of the price when you shorted it (buying it at the lower price).

WTF does any of that have to do with baseball tickets and how do scalpers make money off this? If they are pushing the price down how do they not lose money since they are the ones holding the inventory?
    Shorting tickets is very straightforward, you could be successful or you could get burned. It seems like 90% of all events listed on stubhub start off at their peak prices and then come down gradually as the supply of listed tickets increases.

Basically to short, you list tickets early that you don't have and aren't guaranteed to have , then as prices go down you cover either by buying off stubhub itself, from somebody else, or from the team/event operator (the problem with covering from stubhub is the 25% round trip cut they take).

So for example, when All Star Game tickets at Citi Field start listing you might see a lowest price of $600 for promenade tickets. Knowing that for every other all star game in the past 5 years, tickets were available for less than $350 with a couple weeks before the game, you would make up a seating location and make a quick sale at $600 and say you'll be able to fill the order several months later. Then later you buy the tickets at the cheaper price and send then to the buyer who is locked in at the higher price.

The problem with this is it's risky - there is no guarantee you can source tickets for cheaper later on. There's also the problem of finding the exact seats you said you would deliver. eg at Yankee Stadium if you say row 14 in section 405, then you can probably fill with any lower row in any section closer to the plate. SH guarantees the buyer the tickets will be delivered in the same or better location. In practice "or better" is at the discretion of the buyer. So, if to him row 14 in 405 is better than any other seat in the Stadium that's his prerogative and he can bust the sale. In that case usually you just end up walking away. In some cases he can insist on exactly those seats and if they are listed on stubhub at a higher price you'll be on the hook for paying any amount above what you sold it to him for

Here is my experience with short selling (the sale of tickets not in possession by the seller):

Last September I bought 2 tix for ALCS home game 1 in 420B on stubhub for $100 each. I was to find out later the seller never had the tickets I bought. Fast forward to game day and I go to download my tickets and I notice a $50 credit to my account against the price I paid for the game 1 tix. I call Stubhub and they explain the seller did not have the tix, they gave my different seats in the same row (I had not noticed the change) and the credit was a reflection of the decline in price. I told them prices had declined much more than the credit I was given and I wanted to cancel the sale and start over. They said it would be difficult to undo everything and they offered me an additional $100 credit which I accepted. There is a major lack of transparency here which I do not appreciate. At no time did Stubhub notify me of the change in seating or pricing to my order. Stubhub claims to have cleaned up ticket scalping but they allow this dirty backwater of short selling to exist.

Thread Information