+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 132 1 2 3 4 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

The StubHub Thread

Discuss all things Stubhub and the secondary ticket marketplace.

Post thoughts and experiences for buying and selling, thanks!
    Last edited by GordonGecko; 10-12-12 at 09:02 AM.

NYYF Legend

Re: The StubHub Thread

I agree. I dropped 2 full seasons and picked up ONE 9 game value plan. How many do I plan on going to from those? Zero.

Looking forward to cherry picking at the expense of others.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Ok so I dropped my 4 full season tickets and kept a handful of partial plan games in the bleachers to keep seniority & some playoff rights. I've had some of those tickets listed on StubHub for a couple months and below face value (some 50% under), and how many sales do you think I have so far?

Ziltch.

Yep, that's right, no sales. Tickets just aren't moving at all. Believe it or not I think this year may be worse than last year for sellers. I think those that dropped plans to buy in game by game will be pleasantly surprised and rewarded this season

Tickets arent moving at all? It's February 28th. Spring Training just started. Do you really think someone is going to go online and buy a midweek game in May now? Would you buy it now or wait until the day draws closer that way you know the weather etc etc? Not for nothing but I think its unfair to judge the market now for a baseball season that doesnt get started for another month. Plus you do not even have bar codes yet. A lot of buyers, myself included are a lot more comfortable buying if you can download instantly. I do believe that it will definitely be a buyers market once the season gets going however. No disrespect, just my thoughts.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by deadrabbit79 View Post
    Tickets arent moving at all? It's February 28th. Spring Training just started. Do you really think someone is going to go online and buy a midweek game in May now? Would you buy it now or wait until the day draws closer that way you know the weather etc etc? Not for nothing but I think its unfair to judge the market now for a baseball season that doesnt get started for another month. Plus you do not even have bar codes yet. A lot of buyers, myself included are a lot more comfortable buying if you can download instantly. I do believe that it will definitely be a buyers market once the season gets going however. No disrespect, just my thoughts.
    I think I can judge the market, even on February 28th, because at a similar time in previous seasons I had plenty of sales for midweek games, which used to be over face until 2010 and then under face last year, to a point now with no sales at all. Small sample size yes, but a notable difference none the less

Ok so I dropped my 4 full season tickets and kept a handful of partial plan games in the bleachers to keep seniority & some playoff rights. I've had some of those tickets listed on StubHub for a couple months and below face value (some 50% under), and how many sales do you think I have so far?

Ziltch.

Yep, that's right, no sales. Tickets just aren't moving at all. Believe it or not I think this year may be worse than last year for sellers. I think those that dropped plans to buy in game by game will be pleasantly surprised and rewarded this season

I'm just guessing that you have some midweek plans. I have a Saturday plan plus FS and I have sold many games in my Saturday plan in main for avg of $75 for $55 seats not invluding mets/RS. On my FS field level seats, I have sold about 10 games at avg $75 for midweek June/July games that have a $65 FV. I'm not selling my field level FS seats for weekends as I plan on using them. So, it's not as bad for me as it is for you.

The whole point of StubHub is to wait until the day before the game or day of and let the sellers panic set in. There is no reason to use StubHub now

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by yankees2010 View Post
    The whole point of StubHub is to wait until the day before the game or day of and let the sellers panic set in. There is no reason to use StubHub now

this is becoming more true every day

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by yankees2010 View Post
    Day before the game? I wait until about 3 hours before first pitch lol

Some of my 2nd row bleachers are selling at or above face. Main infield Sundays, not at all.

Devoted Member

With the MLB contract with stubhub expiring at the end of this year, I was curious to hear what everyone thought MLB and more importantly the Yankees should do.

As ticket buyers/sellers/ and just fans

What tweaks, if any, might mlb need to add in negotiations?
    Should the Yankees do their own thing as the red sox have?
    Idk. Pricing floors? Required fedexing of hard tickets? Good or bad either way.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeMax View Post
    Pricing floors? Required fedexing of hard tickets? Good or bad either way.
    A pricing floor which only attempts to artificially control the supply/demand curve would (after the first year) hurt season ticket sales even more. I suspect that in the first year of a pricing floor, season ticket buyers would rejoice thinking that they wouldn't have to take a bath on their extra tickets anymore. However, they would soon learn than instead of selling them for 25, 50 or 75% of face value, they're selling them for 0% of face value, that is, they aren't selling at all.

Buyers, on the other hand, would be "forced" to pay full face value, but if full face value is really more than the "market" deems the value of the tickets to be, many people who might buy tickets at 25, 50 or 75% of face value simply won't buy at all and will watch the games on their big screen TV.

In the end, the market for tickets isn't something that the Yankees or MLB controls. They can try to control it, but their idea of control just artificially disrupts the market. If the TRUE value of a Yankee tickets is, say 75% of current face value (averaging across the entire stadium) then in the end, no matter what they do, they're going to see ticket sales and attendance reflect that.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

NYYF Legend

Should the Yankees do their own thing as the red sox have?
    Not sure what the Red Sox have, but I do know that Massachussetts has old scalping laws still on the books. It's not a free market over there so the teams have a monopoly position for in-state resales under the law

Devoted Member

Not sure what the Red Sox have, but I do know that Massachussetts has old scalping laws still on the books. It's not a free market over there so the teams have a monopoly position for in-state resales under the law
    I wasn't sure exactly their difference but it seemed like they were not included with the rest of the MLB teams in this deal. There are tickets on stubhub there but the integration does
    Not seem to exist.

I think they are the only team that the stubhub deal w MLB does not apply to in the same way as all the others.

NYYF Legend

I wasn't sure exactly their difference but it seemed like they were not included with the rest of the MLB teams in this deal. There are tickets on stubhub there but the integration does
    Not seem to exist.

I think they are the only team that the stubhub deal w MLB does not apply to in the same way as all the others.
    If the Red Sox allowed their barcodes to be re-issued in a no-cap free market they could face thousands of misdemeanor accessory charges for aiding and abetting an "illegal" scalping operation under Massachussetts law

Just speculating, I don't know what the latest is on MA laws
    Last edited by GordonGecko; 03-02-12 at 03:04 PM.

I apologize for the schadenfreude, but I see this thread as justification for dropping my plan. Outside of a few Red Sox games, I will only be going to games that I buy last minute on SH when the sellers are slashing prices. It is unfortunate, but it is what it is. I lost quite a bit of money the past two years with the secondary market collapse and I am now ready to take full advantage from the other side.

Join us.

If the Red Sox allowed their barcodes to be re-issued in a no-cap free market they could face thousands of misdemeanor accessory charges for aiding and abetting an "illegal" scalping operation under Massachussetts law
    I sold Red Sox tickets on StubHub using electronic delivery last year with no problem. Scanned the bar codes just like with Yankee tickets and it worked fine. Perhaps StubHub has some way to prevent sellers in Massachusetts from using their system for Sox tickets, but it worked fine for me.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    I sold Red Sox tickets on StubHub using electronic delivery last year with no problem. Scanned the bar codes just like with Yankee tickets and it worked fine. Perhaps StubHub has some way to prevent sellers in Massachusetts from using their system for Sox tickets, but it worked fine for me.
    So much for that theory. I do know that Stubhub price pressure is alive and well in that market. For the Patriots AFC game, tickets could be had for under $80 just before game time

I just noticed that the Yankees launched an online program called the Season Ticket Partner Zone. Very interesting competition for SH.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/seaso...x.jsp?c_id=nyy

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post

You entered the barcodes right?
    I THINK that the season ticketholder account integration does not exist like it does w the Yankees and most others where you can have your season ticket account and list DIRECTLY from there.

These are the moments I wished I paid more attention.

NYYF Legend

Someone brought up to me today that they heard discussions of MLB possibly getting rid of PDF tickets. I don't know if that's true or not, but that does seem like it could be a way for teams to squeeze the market.

If they let the stubhub contract expire & get rid of PDF tickets, that means that instant or electronic download on 3rd party sites would be impossible. People could still buy and sell hard tickets, but they would have to deal with FedEx fees & shipping delays.

MLB would be cut out of profit sharing on secondary sites like stubhub & craigslist, so they would start their own system. But since PDF tickets would be gone, they would have to re-issue barcodes on hard tickets, and people would have to pick them up at the ballpark or team stores or something. That would be a way for them to take a cut of second level sales and put a big dent on third and fourth level resales.

Or if not get rid of them completely, they could make the print at home fee $10 or something ridiculous (subject to ticketholder backlash of course)

I'm pretty sure MLB is having several discussions about several options. I still think there's going to be a lot of downward pressure on prices since scalping laws are off the books most everywhere and tickets are pretty much treated like stocks these days

You entered the barcodes right?
    That's correct.

Forum Regular

Someone brought up to me today that they heard discussions of MLB possibly getting rid of PDF tickets. I don't know if that's true or not, but that does seem like it could be a way for teams to squeeze the market.

If they let the stubhub contract expire & get rid of PDF tickets, that means that instant or electronic download on 3rd party sites would be impossible. People could still buy and sell hard tickets, but they would have to deal with FedEx fees & shipping delays.

MLB would be cut out of profit sharing on secondary sites like stubhub & craigslist, so they would start their own system. But since PDF tickets would be gone, they would have to re-issue barcodes on hard tickets, and people would have to pick them up at the ballpark or team stores or something. That would be a way for them to take a cut of second level sales and put a big dent on third and fourth level resales.

Or if not get rid of them completely, they could make the print at home fee $10 or something ridiculous (subject to ticketholder backlash of course)

I'm pretty sure MLB is having several discussions about several options. I still think there's going to be a lot of downward pressure on prices since scalping laws are off the books most everywhere and tickets are pretty much treated like stocks these days
    The other approach would be bar codes to smart phones, no different than a boarding pass for a plane, which I use on my phone. We are buying tix in KC for a Yankee series and there are options for smart phone delivery.

Now with a smart phone bar code, you could sit on the side walk outside the stadium and wait for the last minute price drops.

Whatever happens, price floors will not work to fill the stadium
    former 10 yr plan holder, now on the Hub

Devoted Member

I guess one question is

Is it in the best long term interest of MLB to try to nudge the secondary market by implementing some new triggers like - no PDF - sales cut off 2-3 days before instead of 2 hours - price floors? and I'm sure there are more that im not listing but you get the idea

I'm not really sure of the answer but am curious of your thoughts

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by waterdr View Post

Whatever happens, price floors will not work to fill the stadium
    Not that I think you are wrong, but why do you think so?

I do think at least our team needs to lower pricing in most areas of the stadium IF they want it full of fans every night. Not just sold tickets.
    I also think that there are plenty of fans that might spend $50 on a ticket (or whatever number you want to put there) but will not pay it if they know they can pay less. The "why pay more" attitude is a good one but many will pay more if they know it is the beat price they can get safely and conveniently.

Forum Regular

The price floors only work to support a minimum price that a reseller can charge. I know for ourselves and others, we do look for best price and even deals when available for games. Deals may be defined as best price relative to the particular seat location. The deal perception happens at all levels of the stadium GS outfield for $5, deal, Legends for $250 it is a deal relative to the location. I believe these do help fill the stadium to some extent.

The other side is if STH get stuck with tickets at an un-sellable price point they will drop them. This results in less up front money to the front office for "sold" not just filled seats. A greater effort will now be needed to sell many seats through single game offerings or day of game sales. Based upon current demand, which is shown via the re-sale market price points, fewer people are buying tickets, so less people in the house.
    former 10 yr plan holder, now on the Hub

Thread Information