+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sidebar

NYYF Legend

Re: Sidebar

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Or we could start a Kill the Ads campaign every year around this time, and if we got enough donations, I would imagine that we could ditch them all together for 1 year.
    I have no problem with the ads being on the right - I think everyone understands the need and most sites have them. I think this sidebar is just abnormally large - when looking at normal size pics in the Spring Training photos in ITL, you have to scroll to the right now just to see half the pic...hopefully they can just make the sidebar a bit thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim F. View Post
    All of your concerns have been noted and the situation will be reassessed at some point in the near future.

-JF
    Thanks Jim.

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Was impressed it was moved so quickly from the left side to the right. Still a bit of a nuisance, but have to pay to keep the lights on. Just curious if there was any thought given to differentiating between PCs and mobile devices. On a 27" monitor, it's an afterthought. On an iPhone, it's a bit of a drag. Just something to think about.

Living Life Outloud yankeeschic12324's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Was impressed it was moved so quickly from the left side to the right. Still a bit of a nuisance, but have to pay to keep the lights on. Just curious if there was any thought given to differentiating between PCs and mobile devices. On a 27" monitor, it's an afterthought. On an iPhone, it's a bit of a drag. Just something to think about.

There's a mobile version of the board and you don't see ads at all on it.

this sidebar is horrendous. i feel like im viewing this on my phone. also, when i click on "go to first new post" it doesnt take me there.

if it aint broke, dont fix it!

Again - they're trying to generate income.
    I have no qualms about the bar being on the right side... (I have a widescreen monitor)
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

A question for those of you who are having issues with the reduced width of the content... what size monitors are you using and at what resolution?

It looks great on my 22" widescreen, and even on my 17" monitor at 1280x1024 it looks fine, no issues with anything running off the page or anything like that, and everything is still very readable, doesn't feel too cramped at all.

ETA: Nevermind... I just changed the resolution to 1024x768 and see what you mean re: photos scrolling to the right. I'll look into what we can do to fix this.

-JF
    "The only thing I know about baseball is that whatever the manager does is wrong" - Moe

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Some of the sig pics are over the right edge, too. (They were on my computer even before the change, though)

FWIW amico mio
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeschic12324 View Post
    There's a mobile version of the board and you don't see ads at all on it.
    Thanks. I'm aware of the mobile version, but it doesn't have things like "what's new" and a few other things that make it preferable to use the full version rather than the lite version. I don't want to come off as a complainer; I'm not. Really just offering a thought.

For the record, I feel like I've already pretty much adjusted to this. It would still be nice if it was a bit thinner but I don't have a huge deal with it being on the right side.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    For the record, I feel like I've already pretty much adjusted to this. It would still be nice if it was a bit thinner but I don't have a huge deal with it being on the right side.
    Spoken like a married man.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I agree on all points. Many of my favorite forums have them (although this one is definitely wider than average; it is in fact the girth champion.) It is time for me to upgrade to a wide-screen monitor, anyway, which I am sure will help. The HFC thread has definitely lost a lot of pizzazz.

I think they should get real and can the SNY links. Just stick to the money-making ads. I never clicked them before, I'm even less likely to start now.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

A question for those of you who are having issues with the reduced width of the content... what size monitors are you using and at what resolution?
    I'm running 1680 width on a 22", but frankly it's not how it actually looks but rather the increased workload for me as a user. Just to be clear, the actual bar is completely fine with me, neither do I have a problem with the reason for its existance, but the loss of width for posts below the bar is annoying. Don't get me wrong, it won't stop me from coming here, I already hardly notice it. But in this day and age, it seems like it shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gegbot View Post
    I'm running 1680 width on a 22", but frankly it's not how it actually looks but rather the increased workload for me as a user. Just to be clear, the actual bar is completely fine with me, neither do I have a problem with the reason for its existance, but the loss of width for posts below the bar is annoying. Don't get me wrong, it won't stop me from coming here, I already hardly notice it. But in this day and age, it seems like it shouldn't be a problem.
    I understand completely. Unfortunately we have to work within the confines of the templating system provided by the forum software, which doesn't make it as easy to do as you'd think.
    "The only thing I know about baseball is that whatever the manager does is wrong" - Moe

I understand completely. Unfortunately we have to work within the confines of the templating system provided by the forum software, which doesn't make it as easy to do as you'd think.
    That's unfortunate. Since this is the suggestion forum, I guess I should suggest you make it a top bar instead with the headings side by side. Basicly flip the current bar on the side and flip the headlines aswell. Not sure if that's possible, but would take roughly the same amount of space but without the effects on the other parts of the page.

edit: Guess it would be hard to fit with the increased number of headlines now for people running the page on a smaller screen and/or resolution.

NYYF Legend

With the recent ruling that the Philpons have to pay $82 mil to the Madoff victims and possibly $300 million more, it could get worse
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Living Life Outloud yankeeschic12324's Avatar

Also, IDK if its from the side bar or whatever but the Private message bars are all weird and overlapping now...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/259/board1m.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/35/board2qd.png/
    My Native American name is RunsWithCrashCart.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeschic12324 View Post
    Also, IDK if its from the side bar or whatever but the Private message bars are all weird and overlapping now...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/259/board1m.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/35/board2qd.png/
    I'll take a look, thanks for the heads up.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

It looks great on my 22" widescreen, and even on my 17" monitor at 1280x1024 it looks fine, no issues with anything running off the page or anything like that, and everything is still very readable, doesn't feel too cramped at all.

ETA: Nevermind... I just changed the resolution to 1024x768 and see what you mean re: photos scrolling to the right. I'll look into what we can do to fix this.

-JF
    What's happening, Jim? I'm using 1366x768 on a 15.6" laptop. The site looks a bit funny on my EVO, which is an Android. Stuff like who posted last doesn't look as clear as on my laptop.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    count me in on those that find the new look extremely annoying. I don't like the right side sidebar one bit. And I especially hate the annoying add with the girl with the flashing red bulb on her head who looks like she is servicing two invisible gentlemen at once.
    I concur.
    Last edited by Panamaniac42; 03-08-12 at 01:44 PM.

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar
    It's not that bad

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

I've also noticed that a few pictures that are slightly wider than the regular frame width, get cut-off on the right side.

I agree with what Andy (Nome) said about the woman with the blinking siren hat on her head. I think that this cheapens how women are portrayed, and thus, this website.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    count me in on those that find the new look extremely annoying. I don't like the right side sidebar one bit. And I especially hate the annoying add with the girl with the flashing red bulb on her head advertising that money can be had to go back to school. Distracting and annoying to say the least.
    Count me in the ranks of those who especially despise this ad.

Thread Information