+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sidebar

Re: Sidebar

While slightly less annoying, the current layout still wastes alot of space. If it's not possible to make posts "wrap around" the bar, putting the bar ontop of everything would still be more space efficient and preferable in my opinion (even though it would look rather stupid I guess).

NYYF Legend

count me in on those that find the new look extremely annoying. I don't like the right side sidebar one bit. And I especially hate the annoying add with the girl with the flashing red bulb on her head advertising that money can be had to go back to school. Distracting and annoying to say the least.

And the adds at the top of the page are too much.

I know that this site needs to be subsidized somehow, but continuing like this will eventually kill it.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Jim F. View Post
    Ironic statement, considering your signature ;-)
    Yeah, you're the second person to say that.

It's planned to go away once the season starts.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    count me in on those that find the new look extremely annoying. I don't like the right side sidebar one bit. And I especially hate the annoying add with the girl with the flashing red bulb on her head advertising that money can be had to go back to school. Distracting and annoying to say the least.

And the adds at the top of the page are too much.

I know that this site needs to be subsidized somehow, but continuing like this will eventually kill it.

Andy
    The rightside sidebar is a huge improvement over the initial leftside sidebar, though. I like to look at the brightside.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

If the ole sidebar helps keep the site afloat, it's a no-brainer. In a day or two everyone will be used to it.
    Pardon, for us.

answer: what happens when a lawyer says "may I approach the bench" and conversation is off the record
    My NYY Room http://tinyurl.com/y89l8up
    My NYY Hats http://tinyurl.com/yauhxsg
    My NYY Jerseys http://tinyurl.com/ydsggo4
    My Jeter Kicks http://tinyurl.com/yee5tzl

NYYF Legend

I guess the folks at NYYfans were annoyed that nobody was reading their news articles, but I mean who is going to get news from NYYfans when there's ESPN, Yahoo Sports, etc... All that home page here does is source from SNY which isn't exactly in with the breaking news. I never read or go to "Home" here, and I never will - with or without an annoying space-sucking sidebar that links to it

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    I guess the folks at NYYfans were annoyed that nobody was reading their news articles, but I mean who is going to get news from NYYfans when there's ESPN, Yahoo Sports, etc... All that home page here does is source from other sites, I never read or go to "Home" here, and I never will. With or without an annoying space sucking sidebar with links to it
    You're so hardcore, Gordon.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

You mean there's stuff here besides the forums?

NYYF Legend

I don't have a problem with TPTB promoting the SNY articles. I just wish it could be done as a banner across the top. Better to push the threads down a just bit further than to have the entire page messed up for a sidebar that only extends downward over 2 or 3 posts and then leaves white space on the side of an entire thread. Quite silly, if you ask me.

Also, I generally use the "go to first unread post" button when I enter a thread, so unless it's my first time in a thread bringing me to the top of a page, I don't see the sidebar at all, just the white space next to the lower posts where I continue reading.

I think they could come up with a better solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    You mean there's stuff here besides the forums?
    Yeah, but it's kind of like walking into the Narnia closet and ending up on the Jersey Turnpike.

I kid. I believe wexy has written a piece or two over there.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    I don't see the sidebar at all, just the white space next to the lower posts where I continue reading.

I think they could come up with a better solution.
    Some sites get more annoying and make the side ads scroll down the page with you so it's always in view. But I think the best solution would be a news crawl at the bottom of the page, no more than one character high + spacing

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Yeah, but it's kind of like walking into the Narnia closet and ending up on the Jersey Turnpike.
    Did you just combine The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe with Being John Malkovich?

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Or we could start a Kill the Ads campaign every year around this time, and if we got enough donations, I would imagine that we could ditch them all together for 1 year.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Or we could start a Kill the Ads campaign every year around this time, and if we got enough donations, I would imagine that we could ditch them all together for 1 year.
    Good luck getting people to donate money to a corporation.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

-Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    The rightside sidebar is a huge improvement over the initial leftside sidebar, though. I like to look at the brightside.
    OK Pol.
    She sits there so refined and drinks herself half blind
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson -

NYYF Cy Young

It's still sort of like reading one of those languages where they read down instead of across...

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

It's not fixed for me. Big space is now on right side instead of left.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

At least we don't have the talking heads at the top with a word that was misspelled. That annoyed the crap out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    It's not fixed for me. Big space is now on right side instead of left.
    The idea was to put the ad bar on the right side of your screen instead of the left....
    I don't think they were going to eliminate it altogether because it generates money for the site.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    The idea was to put the ad bar on the right side of your screen instead of the left....
    I don't think they were going to eliminate it altogether because it generates money for the site.
    And that's a wrap.

You have to expect that the folks who bought the site and don't charge a fee to be here would nevertheless like to realize a return on their investment.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Some sites get more annoying and make the side ads scroll down the page with you so it's always in view. But I think the best solution would be a news crawl at the bottom of the page, no more than one character high + spacing
    The ads that scroll down are supremely annoying. If it's a choice between white space and that, I'll take the white space. As for your suggestion for the bottom of the page, that's certainly much more appealing to us as users of the site, but I'm sure wouldn't generate as many clicks as it would atop the page.

I guess we're going to have to live with the right side white space.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

The only ads that bother me are the pop-ups and the ones that drag down. I can deal with anything else.
    Life is good!

All of your concerns have been noted and the situation will be reassessed at some point in the near future.

-JF
    "The only thing I know about baseball is that whatever the manager does is wrong" - Moe

Thread Information