+ Reply to Thread
Page 123 of 151 FirstFirst ... 23 73 113 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 133 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,075 of 3766
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2012 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

I know I'm on the outside when I say this....I'd rather lose without him, than win with him.

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    I know I'm on the outside when I say this....I'd rather lose without him, than win with him.
    You're not alone. I applaud you for admitting it unlike some of the other haters.

NYYF Cy Young

I haven't seen the proof that he's guilty of anything. He's not my favorite player, but he is part of the team I root for.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

I hated Gary Sheffield a lot more than most of y'all hate Alex Rodriguez. I never stopped hating him - he was the only Yankee player I've ever booed - but if his doing well helped them win, then I was glad when it happened. I just hated him and accepted it.

I don't get all the drama about hating Rodriguez.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Cy Young

That's pretty stupid to put an individual over the whole team, but to each their own.

I hope I'm on the inside when I say this... that opinion is extremely bizarre.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I hated Gary Sheffield a lot more than most of y'all hate Alex Rodriguez. I never stopped hating him - he was the only Yankee player I've ever booed - but if his doing well helped them win, then I was glad when it happened. I just hated him and accepted it.

Neither do I. It's almost like it's cool to hate A-Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Man_With_No_Plan View Post
    I hope I'm on the inside when I say this... that opinion is extremely bizarre.
    agree.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    I haven't seen the proof that he's guilty of anything. He's not my favorite player, but he is part of the team I root for.
    Exactly. As said many times in this thread, I just don't get the hating of Alex Rodriguez.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    Exactly. As said many times in this thread, I just don't get the hating of Alex Rodriguez.
    I definitely get it, just not to the extent that some people go with it.

If he comes back and the team is betterfor it then I stop. At this point I'm just sick of what he brings as far as news goes. The Yankees are way better now than expected and that should be the story. For the moment it is the story until the next dumb thing he does.

But again if he becomes an asset I stop being annoyed at him.
    Please sign David Robertson and Chase Headley.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    But again if he becomes an asset I stop being annoyed at him.
    In the history of A-Rod's career on the Yankees, he has never not been an asset. Even in the years he performed poorly in the playoffs, he very much contributed to getting them there in the first place.

In the history of A-Rod's career on the Yankees, he has never not been an asset. Even in the years he performed poorly in the playoffs, he very much contributed to getting them there in the first place.
    Completely agree. And I have a long history of being behind him. I just reached my limit with the drama because I'm sick of every season starting with "what did arod do now". And since he's not playing and being an asset I lost that. It will change though. And I really want it to.
    Please sign David Robertson and Chase Headley.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I just reached my limit with the drama because I'm sick of every season starting with "what did arod do now".
    He's still no Gary Sheffield.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Is there a timetable for his return?

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Is there a timetable for his return?
    Optimistically by July
    Realistically post-ASB
    Pessimistically next season
    What 95% of people on this forum want - never
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

NYYF Legend

You can bet your last dollar................that when A-Rod returns to this team he will be an asset. RH bat will begin to produce a higher BA and OBP...........this will help the sometimes struggling Yankee offense.

Even though he will be picked on for his bulging purse, he will still put up enough offensive numbers that will improve the line-up.

Agree on Sheff

In his defense, though, he did play half a season with a bad shoulder he could barely lift.

The best part of his deal- his agent allowed George to sign him to a contract that deferred a bunch of money @ 0 interest

His agent?

Why it was Sheff himself- and he did have a fool for a client
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    Agree on Sheff

In his defense, though, he did play half a season with a bad shoulder he could barely lift.

The best part of his deal- his agent allowed George to sign him to a contract that deferred a bunch of money @ 0 interest

His agent?

Why it was Sheff himself- and he did have a fool for a client
    And, IIRC, he publicly bitched about the contract that he negotiated, and was pissed because the Yankees wouldn't renegotiate it.

My feelings about Sheffield go back to long before he was with the Yankees - back at least to 1991, when he tanked on his team.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Didn't he also try to pull the race card on Mr. Torre?

NYYF Legend

And, IIRC, he publicly bitched about the contract that he negotiated, and was pissed because the Yankees wouldn't renegotiate it.
    Wasn't that following the season he was, in my opinion, robbed of the MVP by a two-week stretch of Vladimir Guerrero? I knew halfway through the season that he would want a renegotiation, because he was destroying the ball that season (2005?).
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

Quote Originally Posted by mr.roy View Post
    Didn't he also try to pull the race card on Mr. Torre?
    He pulled the race card frequently during his career. That was one instance.

Quote Originally Posted by DontHateOnNumber2 View Post
    Wasn't that following the season he was, in my opinion, robbed of the MVP by a two-week stretch of Vladimir Guerrero? I knew halfway through the season that he would want a renegotiation, because he was destroying the ball that season (2005?).
    It was probably the year he finished second to Guerrero in the voting - though, IMHO, Sheffield wasn't the best player on the Yankees that year. Even so, it doesn't change the fact that he started complaining about his contract one year after he negotiated it himself.

Sheffield seemed to equate money with respect, and complained about it throughout his career. When he was with LA, he complained publicly about teammates that were making more money than he was, even though they weren't as good as he was - naming them individually. A truly endearing teammate.
    - Barry Manilow

Wasn't there a time- playing for the Marlins I believe- when he played the infield and deliberately threw a ball into the stands over the 1B's head because he was pissed at someone?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

He's an asset, it's just that the cost of the asset is far far greater than its value. That's basically a liability
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    Wasn't there a time- playing for the Marlins I believe- when he played the infield and deliberately threw a ball into the stands over the 1B's head because he was pissed at someone?
    believe it was early in his career when he was w/ the Brewers... Pretty sure he did it more than once too...

Quote Originally Posted by boog204 View Post
    believe it was early in his career when he was w/ the Brewers... Pretty sure he did it more than once too...
    It was supposedly (at Sheffield's own word) in Milwaukee, but it seems apocryphal:

Cashman also had heard the well-worn story about Sheffield's throwing balls away purposely while with the Brewers to hasten a trade. ( Milwaukee dealt him in 1992.) Sheffield himself started the legend that year when he told the Los Angeles Times that he hated Milwaukee so much that if the official scorer gave him what Sheffield thought was an undeserved error, "I'd say, 'O.K., here's a real error,' and I'd throw the next ball into the stands on purpose."
    Sheffield later recanted the statement, explaining that he said it "out of frustration." Indeed, there is no documented evidence of any such willful transgression. Sheffield was charged with two errors in a game three times in Milwaukee. In none of those instances did the second error by Sheffield put the batter on second base, which would have occurred on a throw into the stands.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...73/3/index.htm

Thread Information