+ Reply to Thread
Page 111 of 151 FirstFirst ... 11 61 101 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 121 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,775 of 3766

Re: 2012 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Classic confusion of "lie" and "lay."
    But in this particular case you should use lay to avoid ambiguity. If you said ARod is lying in his bed, the reader wouldnt know if you meant that he was recumbent in bed or if you meant that he made his denials of using PEDs while he happened to be in bed. Also, while were on the subject, if he made his own bed that he must lie in by taking PED's, shouldnt HgH be considered a PEDspread?

Addicted Member

If Alex never plays another game again we'll be lucky. Seriously, does anyone want him to play for the Yanks again? Would anyone in their right mind wear his jersey again?
    Join my classic video gaming forums, Zap!
    www.zaponline.org/forums

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    If Alex never plays another game again we'll be lucky. Seriously, does anyone want him to play for the Yanks again? Would anyone in their right mind wear his jersey again?
    Good thing Yankee jerseys don't have names on the back...

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    But they have 13. I wouldn't use that jersey to wipe my ass.
    Join my classic video gaming forums, Zap!
    www.zaponline.org/forums

Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    Actually all the t-shirts do and unfortunately, a lot of the so-called "game jerseys" purchased by fans do. I've never understood why any self-respecting Yankee fan would by a jersey with a name on it, but they are everywhere.

But I guess the people who bought authentic #13 jerseys with no names on them can at least tell everyone they bought them for Jim Leyritz. Oh, wait. Better go with Mike Pagliarulo.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Released Outright

Well all they have to do is wait 10000000000000000 years until A-Roid's contract is up and they give the number to some new Yankee.

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    If the Yankees have to pay him anyway, then yes I want him to play. He's not done-- at least he hasn't shown himself to be done yet. Maybe this year he will bat .200 with 3 HRs, I don't know. He's not worth the money he's being paid obviously, so if they could get out of the contract that would be great, but I don't think that's happening.

Maybe all that other stuff doesn't bother me like it does you. You seem upset.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

the darkkkkkk 13th knight of the table~~~~~~~ betrayer's legacy

too good
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    If the Yankees have to pay him anyway, then yes I want him to play. He's not done-- at least he hasn't shown himself to be done yet. Maybe this year he will bat .200 with 3 HRs, I don't know. He's not worth the money he's being paid obviously, so if they could get out of the contract that would be great, but I don't think that's happening.
    Exactly. Lost in the general disaster that is the A-Rod situation is the fact that he was still an above-average third baseman last year. A .270 average, .353 OBP, and 2.5ish (I think) WAR are not bad numbers. Do we want a merely-above-average third baseman who's injury-prone, controversial and dramatic, and the highest-paid player in baseball? No. But statistically speaking, he is not only above-average but also better than his available replacements (Youkilis and Nunez).

If we could get rid of A-Rod, I'd jump for joy. But releasing him and eating the money, only to replace him with someone who will likely provide similar or inferior production, is just not worth it. I know the question of "how can A-Rod ever play another game for this team?" is a rhetorical one brought on by emotion, but he'd have to be so so much worse than he's been to justify releasing him.

NYYF Cy Young

Great article here by Joe Posnanski, probably my favorite baseball writer.

http://www.nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/50877666

It is indeed a well done piece.

If there are tragedies worthy of being called "Greek" in sports, this has to be one. Even more so than that of Mickey Mantle.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post

Great read. Thank you. Makes me want to like ARod. Almost.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

IDK if I can by the story that he was a good kid that had his head turned by his success.

I think, based on other stories , that his arrogance was a prominent trait very early on. I remember comments he made while in Texas and Seattle that showed it.

It makes a convenient narrative- the fall from grace- but I think the reality is a bit different. People expect some kind of correlation between personal and athletic excellence. They're flawed humans just like the rest of us- the difference is that their failings become the raw material for writers tales
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Thanks for posting. I could read Joe Pos all day long.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    IDK if I can by the story that he was a good kid that had his head turned by his success.

I think, based on other stories , that his arrogance was a prominent trait very early on. I remember comments he made while in Texas and Seattle that showed it.

It makes a convenient narrative- the fall from grace- but I think the reality is a bit different. People expect some kind of correlation between personal and athletic excellence. They're flawed humans just like the rest of us- the difference is that their failings become the raw material for writers tales
    The other difference is that they are put in extraordinary circumstances (fame, wealth, scrutiny) so that their flaws are magnified.

I took the story to be more complicated -- clearly he was trying to create an image for himself pretty early on (and pretty naively -- e.g., the beer comments). Without delving too deeply into it, I think you can see some of that desire and "tone-deafness" later in his career -- and he never came across as genuine because of it.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

meh. arod probably juiced all his life. it's not that surprising, but also not that sinful
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    meh. arod probably juiced all his life. it's not that surprising, but also not that sinful
    I just hope we never find out he had a beer.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post

I agree that I find it very hard to believe A-Rod was ever a pure "aw shucks" type of kid. But I do think he possesses a fascinating combination of self-confidence to the point of arrogance and a desperate desire to be liked. I've never thought of him as someone who was "phony" to the core, as he's often been accused, but it's easy to see why some of his behaviors are routinely perceived that way.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I agree that I find it very hard to believe A-Rod was ever a pure "aw shucks" type of kid. But I do think he possesses a fascinating combination of self-confidence to the point of arrogance and a desperate desire to be liked. I've never thought of him as someone who was "phony" to the core, as he's often been accused, but it's easy to see why some of his behaviors are routinely perceived that way.

I agree. I do think A-Rod is a phony, but I also think he is deeply and fundamentally insecure...amazingly so for someone who has so much talent (and that insecurity didn't abate even when he was the best in baseball). Did anyone else read Joe Torre's book? I remember him saying that A-Rod was desperate to be adored like Jeter was, and couldn't understand why he wasn't, so kept trying way too hard and making everything worse.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I think that sums him up perfectly
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I just hope we never find out he had a beer.
    a dui is much worse i agree
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

http://bostonglobe.com/business/2013...0EO/story.html

Apparently he can't even do charity right.

A foundation started by New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez gave only 1 percent of proceeds to charity during its first year of operation in 2006, then stopped submitting mandatory financial reports to the IRS and was stripped of its tax-exempt status.

Some athletes’ self-run nonprofits accomplish so little that their chief function appears to be public relations.

Rodriguez talked openly about his desire to reverse bad publicity in 2006 after being exposed as a member of an underground poker club. He started a foundation and teamed with rapper Jay-Z to host a celebrity poker tournament for charity.

“I got in some trouble for poker last year, so why not turn it around and raise some money for the children?” Rodriguez said in an interview with MLB.com at the time.

The event helped the A-Rod Family Foundation raise $403,862 in 2006, but little found its way to charity, according to IRS records. The foundation gave $5,000 to Jay-Z’s Shawn Carter Scholarship Fund and $90 to a Little League Baseball club in Miami.
    Rodriguez’s agent did not respond to requests to interview the slugger.

By Rodriguez’s standard, the Josh Beckett Foundation is a model organization.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    a dui is much worse i agree
    Who said anything about a DUI?
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    http://bostonglobe.com/business/2013...0EO/story.html

Apparently he can't even do charity right.
    lol:

"The event helped the A-Rod Family Foundation raise $403,862 in 2006, but little found its way to charity, according to IRS records. The foundation gave $5,000 to Jay-Z’s Shawn Carter Scholarship Fund and $90 to a Little League Baseball club in Miami."

can you even get a field level seat at Yankee Stadium for $90? deeply embarrassing, A-Rod should be ashamed

NYYF Legend

the rest of the money was used towards his moobs surgery
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Thread Information