+ Reply to Thread
Page 97 of 151 FirstFirst ... 47 87 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 107 147 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,425 of 3766
    Addicted Member

Re: 2012 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    He comes out on top and exits the hostility in NY
    In your scenario, the only hostility he would avoid would be from fans of his new team. And even that's no guarantee.

I don't know about you guys, but I could put up with a lot of "hostility" for $119M.

You guys are acting like he they have him on video laughing his ass off while he's punching babies.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but I could put up with a lot of "hostility" for $119M.

You guys are acting like he they have him on video laughing his ass off while he's punching babies.
    Also, like encountering hostility will be some terrible new experience for him. Fans will probably boo him and call him "A-Roid" and stuff. How will he possibly endure it?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by LongtimeNYYFan View Post
    If the allegations are true, the Yankees FO should sit down with Rodriguez and his agent and his attorney and tell them that no matter how this story pans out, Rodriguez is going to find life in the Big Apple somewhere between uncomfortable and unbearable. Road trips are going to be nightmares. They can explain how disruption and distractions he will bring to the organization will be detrimental to all involved. They paint as ugly a picture as possible and ask him if that's what he really wants for 5 more years.

Then they offer to allow Rodriguez to retire with a monetary buy out. He can go out and say that while he has been cleared to play (I'm assuming he will be at some point) that he will not be able to play at the high level he demands from himself and he has decided to retire.
    MLBPA will not allow a "buy out" as described. He can say he can't physically play, and just sit and collect salary for 5 years.

This would allow Yanks to get insurance money, but that will be a huge fight if he is doing just to avoid coming back. (Yanks would get some relief I am sure)

Just a shame that for cap purposes it will change nothing. ARod is not that smart, still doing PED's, etc. but he is smart enough not to retire.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    ARod is not that smart, still doing PED's, etc. but he is smart enough not to retire.
    I have to admit, I don't get this part. For Melky Cabrera and Bartolo Colon, PEDs were a terrific investment; get a boatload of money, risk very little.

A-Rod already has his payday. I don't really see the upside for him.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Also, like encountering hostility will be some terrible new experience for him. Fans will probably boo him and call him "A-Roid" and stuff. How will he possibly endure it?
    Exactly.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

I have to admit, I don't get this part. For Melky Cabrera and Bartolo Colon, PEDs were a terrific investment; get a boatload of money, risk very little.

It's because of everyone saying he sucks and booing him and all that.

See, all you haters-- it's your fault. The man puts his personal health in jeopardy, but no, it's not enough for you people. He doesn't hit, you boo him. He takes PEDs to play better you boo him.

The guy can't win.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Agreed. I think he is just an insecure lunatic, who wants more than money. He wants to adulated, except nearly every decision he makes has the opposite effect.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I'm with you on this. As stupid as it may sound to most. These guys are in it to make money, have glory and fame. I'm in it to be entertained. They are not my heroes. They are celebrities and I'm a fan. If they want to exchange their health for glory who am I to criticize because I know given the chance I'd do the same. But, it's illegal not just in America but in baseball so this news did make me mad. More off season A-Rod drama as usual. And at this point it's becoming a joke. I don't want baseball to be a joke. I want this behind us.
    I have to say - this post is just about the perfect expression of my feelings on this too.
    I don't want baseball to be a joke.
    I like Alex Rodriguez on the Yankees.
    The players are not heroes but I do look to them for entertainment.

I cannot understand people that want to injure Alex in some way. People will need to take a look in the mirror and put on different shoes.
    Just imagine if a drug was invented that would make you excell at your job. And by excelling, you could increase your salary 10 or 15 times of what you're currently making. But the drug is illegal.
    I'd be all over that drug - I'd have that stuff on an IV drip 24/7.
    I believe there's not many people that wouldn't induldge.

And please let's stop pretending that the Yankees will be able to void Alex's deal.
    Baseball players are among the nations most protected employees.

Can this just all go away and let's start spring training?
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Legend

That's because you don't have an additional $400M in the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    That's because you don't have an additional $400M in the bank.
    You overestimate my ability to manage my finances.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkface View Post
    PEDs are NOT corked bats, spit balls, or anything else which is my point. They are a method to improve a player's training. Why is that cheating? They are not breaking the rules of the game. And we already glorify the guys who spitball, or cheat 'within' the game. Heck, a bunch of them are in the Hall of Fame with stuff like 'Inventor of the Spitball' proudly displayed on their plaques.
    So, if its not illegal within the lines, it can't be cheating? What if a hitter threatens to hurt a pitcher's children if he throws anything but fastballs to him? Throwing fastballs are within the rules. Hitting fastballs are within the rules. Would it give the hitter an advantage? Is it cheating?

My point is the hitter would have to break the law and do something ubiquitously unacceptable by society to gain the advantage ... just like PED usage.
    “Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. The trees are greener.”—Billy Martin

NYYF Legend

You overestimate my ability to manage my finances.
    I guess so, but the point is that A-rod doesn't need a single penny of that $114M, and neither does anyone ever born to him or his kids.

I guess so, but the point is that A-rod doesn't need a single penny of that $114M, and neither does anyone ever born to him or his kids.
    Anyway, I don't think he's motivated by money.

I think he's motivated by a desire to play well.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    MLBPA will not allow a "buy out" as described. He can say he can't physically play, and just sit and collect salary for 5 years.

This would allow Yanks to get insurance money, but that will be a huge fight if he is doing just to avoid coming back. (Yanks would get some relief I am sure)

Just a shame that for cap purposes it will change nothing. ARod is not that smart, still doing PED's, etc. but he is smart enough not to retire.
    If he says he can't physically play anymore he only collects his salary if the insurance company pays off. Team Scotti won't pay off until they are 100% assured by their doctors that Rodriguez is toast. That battle will be long, drawn out and ugly.

Nobody is saying that unless he can return to, let's say, his 2005 or 2007 MVP years form his career is over. I'd bet that if they see he can walk from the dugout to home plate and swing a bat that they'll say he's cleared to play.

i think he's seriously driven by this 'drive for greatness/immortality/status' stuff on some ancient greek warrior ish. most people don't take that stuff seriously, but he seems to.
    like delv, but better

NYYF Legend

Anyway, I don't think he's motivated by money.

I think he's motivated by a desire to play well.
    If that's the case, he'd retire within the next few years when he and everyone else clearly see he's shot.

If that's the case, he'd retire within the next few years when he and everyone else clearly see he's shot.
    Like many athletes, I think he'll play as long as he can until it's obvious he has nothing left.

My guess is he finishes out this contract and then that's it.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Addicted Member

Fans have sharp memories. And if they forget, they were reminded yesterday when his 2009 press conference was brought up. It was conducted in 2009 after he was revealed to have tested positive for PEDs during baseball’s pilot testing program:
    “Going back to 2001, my cousin started telling me about a substance that you could purchased over the counter in the DR [Dominican Republic]. In the streets, it’s known as ‘boli’ or ‘bole.’ It was his understanding that it would give me a dramatic energy boost and [was] otherwise harmless. My cousin and I, one more ignorant than the other, decided it was a good idea to start taking it … I stopped taking it in ’03 and haven’t taken it since.”

He closed that interview by saying, " I screwed up big time. But I think the only thing I ask from this group today and the American people is to judge me from this day forward. That's all I can ask for."

Self admitted huge fan of A-Rod... but even I am getting tired of the stories. Media and Alex deserve equal blame, but I am still left saying enough is enough.

EDIT: And in a sidenote, his play in the 2009 ALDS and WS was worth about half the ridiculous contract in my eyes, easily one of the most joyous runs of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
    So, if its not illegal within the lines, it can't be cheating? What if a hitter threatens to hurt a pitcher's children if he throws anything but fastballs to him? Throwing fastballs are within the rules. Hitting fastballs are within the rules. Would it give the hitter an advantage? Is it cheating?

My point is the hitter would have to break the law and do something ubiquitously unacceptable by society to gain the advantage ... just like PED usage.
    Oh come on, death threats are not anywhere close to using chemicals to TRAIN HARDER. And one does not need to break the law to use PEDs. Half the substances banned are available OTC

NYYF Legend

The upside, in my opinion, is that he has this drive to be the best, but also an enormous amount of insecurity with regards to failure.

It's been documented before, I believe, that Alex has had issues with people disliking/not accepting him. It's also been noted that he views the contracts he has signed as being a defining indicator of how good of a player he is on the field now, as well as historically.

I think he's kept doing PEDs because of the drive for greatness, but also he's so unsure himself in the event he's NOT great after stopping. I think the upside in his eyes is not being a failure or a hated figure because he's got this enormous contract yet isn't performing and everyone hates him.

It's useless messageboard psychoanalysis, but it's how I see it. A-Rod is that really driven, hard-working kid who ends up burning out in an epic fire ball because he can never stop pushing - he will go to any length to not fail.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Except this time will be exponentially worse.

The last time he said it was in the past and that he had been clean while a Yankee. The team had his back and supported him. He went on to many productive seasons

None of that is likely to be repeated. Fool me once....

The same vanity that led him to continue using PED's is gonna make it hard for him to just ignore it when he's treated as a pariah at home and away
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    i think he's seriously driven by this 'drive for greatness/immortality/status' stuff on some ancient greek warrior ish. most people don't take that stuff seriously, but he seems to.
    Unless you're Manny Ramirez, you don't get great without trying to be great.

NYYF Legend

Like many athletes, I think he'll play as long as he can until it's obvious he has nothing left.

My guess is he finishes out this contract and then that's it.
    I think everyone's guess is that he wouldn't be playing beyond this contract. He'd be 42 when his current deal ends.

Thread Information