+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 151 FirstFirst ... 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 31 71 121 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Alex Rodriguez Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by conkermaniac View Post
    A-Rod fouled off and then popped up two fastballs that were high and right down the middle of the plate. True, Jepsen was throwing gas, but the A-Rod of 2 or 3 years ago would not have missed those pitches.
    Which is precisely why he is no longer good enough to hit in the middle of the order. I really hope the Yankees, moving forward, evaluate him based on what they actually see on the field as opposed to the amount of the check they are cutting him. I also hope they move him to DH sooner rather than later so as to help preserve what's left of his bat as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    Okay, you're right. It was nothing less than a TREMENDOUS World Series for ARod! 5 for 20, with a home run, three doubles, a single, 3 walks and 8 strikeouts is probably one of the top ten World Series I've ever seen!

I don't know what I was thinking when I thought it was a fairly pedestrian, or average, World Series for a middle of the lineup hitter. It really was a mind-boggling World Series.

Imagine in 26 plate appearances, the Yanks'cleanup hitter had a home run and three doubles. Hard to even envision. I used to think it was okay, but nothing spectacular. I stand corrected.
    I really hope you're being intentionally obtuse. If you hate A-Rod, bash him for being paid twice what's he's worth at this point. But his 2009 postseason is untouchable and part of Yankee lore, and it says a lot that you try to poke holes in it rather than acknowledge one of the great runs in Yankee history by an individual player.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Okay, you're right. It was nothing less than a TREMENDOUS World Series for ARod! 5 for 20, with a home run, three doubles, a single, 3 walks and 8 strikeouts is probably one of the top ten World Series I've ever seen!

I don't know what I was thinking when I thought it was a fairly pedestrian, or average, World Series for a middle of the lineup hitter. It really was a mind-boggling World Series.

Imagine in 26 plate appearances, the Yanks'cleanup hitter had a home run and three doubles. Hard to even envision. I used to think it was okay, but nothing spectacular. I stand corrected.
    Talk about cherry-picking.
    Life is good!

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees13 View Post
    I really hope you're being intentionally obtuse. If you hate A-Rod, bash him for being paid twice what's he's worth at this point. But his 2009 postseason is untouchable and part of Yankee lore, and it says a lot that you try to poke holes in it rather than acknowledge one of the great runs in Yankee history by an individual player.
    When you question A-Rod's 2009 post season (any of the rounds) you show that you have no objectivity whatsoever.
    Life is good!

NYYF MVP

This my friend, is very well said. The magnitude of some of his at bats, I couldn't believe my eyes, I remember thinking if he continues to hit like this we're going to win it all..

NYYF MVP

A-Rod fouled off and then popped up two fastballs that were high and right down the middle of the plate. True, Jepsen was throwing gas, but the A-Rod of 2 or 3 years ago would not have missed those pitches.
    I don't want to argue over a pitch but, the pitch that he popped up wasn't down the middle, it was on the high inside corner. Go back and take a look, if it were down the pipe I'd agree about him missing, but that pitch was a nightmare.

No, I'm not. I've never warmed up to ARod, I fully admit that, but I don't hate him. I've said, repeatedly, that without ARod in the 2009 postseason, the Yankees probably don't win. (that's tough to say for any one player or performance in baseball, but his overall performance that year in the first two rounds justifies that statement.)

I don't think he had a great World Series. it wasn't a bad world series either, obviously, as he had several key hits. But I don't think his performance was incredibly great in those six games.

We can't on the one hand beleve that 'clutch hitting' is just a myth and that small sample sizes mean nothing, and then on the other hand hold up three key hits in a series and say that means it's a tremendous world series. Again, 5 for 20 with a home run and three doubles, 3 walks and 8 k's.

What is wrong with saying that's a middle of the road performance for a middle of the lineup hitter in a six game world series?

Again, 5 for 20 with a home run and three doubles, 3 walks and 8 k's.
    You keep saying this. You realize that 4 extra base hits in 20 ABs translates to 120 (!) extra base hits over a full season, which would be the all-time record? If he had blooped a meaningless single and was 6 for 20 for an even .300 would that had made the difference for you?
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

ARod's .973OPS in that WS was only second to Hideki Matsui's ridiculous 2.027.

His 6 RBIs were only second to Matsui's 8 too.

If you pro-rate his WS performance out to 600ABs in a year... he was on pace for 150Rs and 180RBIs with 30HRs. Was it a historic performance, ala Reggie? No. Was it pretty damn good, even by all-star/HoF standards? Yeah, you bet your ass it was.

To think otherwise only shows a lack of understanding of baseball statistics or a strong prejudice against ARod. You seem to know this so you move on to "incredibly great".

Respect him for his achievements and what he has done for the team, even if you don't want to have a beer with the guy.

You keep saying this. You realize that 4 extra base hits in 20 ABs translates to 120 (!) extra base hits over a full season, which would be the all-time record? If he had blooped a meaningless single and was 6 for 20 for an even .300 would that had made the difference for you?
    yes, and 8 strikeouts would translate to 240 strikeouts over the course of a full season, which would also be an all time record.

No, a bloop single wouldn't materially change what he did. Just as if he got robbed on one of those doubles and was at .200.

Short series are really tough to be extremely good or extremely bad in. Mastui was the only Yankee that year that had a truly great series. A-Rod and Jeter were both solid, though not great.

If A-Rod had stunk up the first two rounds instead of being as great as he was, and then went on to have the World Series he did, would anybody be saying, "But he had a GREAT World Series!"? No. People just want to keep up that feeling for the entire postseason.

NYYF MVP

Truth is after Philly seen what A-rod did in the Playoffs, they were pretty careful with him, not to mention the K zone. Cliff lee was no walk in the park, and Pedro was controlling the right handers, but he was made to order for Matsui, that's for sure!

yes, and 8 strikeouts would translate to 240 strikeouts over the course of a full season, which would also be an all time record.

No, a bloop single wouldn't materially change what he did. Just as if he got robbed on one of those doubles and was at .200.

Short series are really tough to be extremely good or extremely bad in. Mastui was the only Yankee that year that had a truly great series. A-Rod and Jeter were both solid, though not great.

If A-Rod had stunk up the first two rounds instead of being as great as he was, and then went on to have the World Series he did, would anybody be saying, "But he had a GREAT World Series!"? No. People just want to keep up that feeling for the entire postseason.
    Anyone who hits for that kind of power can strikeout as much as he wants as far as I'm concerned.

This is an inane argument, and your point about short series/small samples is well-taken so this will be my last post on the subject. He OPS'ed .973 and had the two biggest hits of the series. I'll take that anytime from any player.

Quote Originally Posted by NoodleRay View Post
    Truth is after Philly seen what A-rod did in the Playoffs, they were pretty careful with him, not to mention the K zone. Cliff lee was no walk in the park, and Pedro was controlling the right handers, but he was made to order for Matsui, that's for sure!
    That's the truth.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

I have never seen someone get as hung up on adjectives as you do. What would he have had to do to have had a great WS?

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I have never seen someone get as hung up on adjectives as you do. What would he have had to do to have had a great WS?
    Catch a ball in his cap. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    It's very ironic that you should say that as I wasn't the one getting caught up in any adjectives. the whole point of my original post is that I don't think yankee fans are being unfair to ARod. His two MVP's, and his 2009 postseason, were the two (or three) things I pointed to as being the highlights of his Yankee career. I pointed out that even in 2009, he didn't exactly tear up the world series, though I also pointed out that without him in 2009, the Yankees quite likely don't win the World Series.

I could understand the reaction if I said Arod had a bad world series that year. He obviously did not. Was it MVP-like? No. It was a middling world series for a middle of the average franchise player.

Jeter hit .400 in that series with three doubles. Was that an incredible performance too?

It's very ironic that you should say that as I wasn't the one getting caught up in any adjectives. the whole point of my original post is that I don't think yankee fans are being unfair to ARod. His two MVP's, and his 2009 postseason, were the two (or three) things I pointed to as being the highlights of his Yankee career. I pointed out that even in 2009, he didn't exactly tear up the world series, though I also pointed out that without him in 2009, the Yankees quite likely don't win the World Series.

I could understand the reaction if I said Arod had a bad world series that year. He obviously did not. Was it MVP-like? No. It was a middling world series for a middle of the average franchise player.

Jeter hit .400 in that series with three doubles. Was that an incredible performance too?
    I'd say that if you don't win the series without him, that's more than a middling performance.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Not sure why you get so hung up in this type of discussion, but would I jump up and down if someone said Jeter had a "great World Series"? Nope. He got on base in 43% of his PA's, constantly advancing runners and getting into scoring position. What is the point in arguing the degree of greatness? I'd sign up for that offense from a Yankee shortstop going into ANY World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I'd say that if you don't win the series without him, that's more than a middling performance.
    #andthatsawrap

Why is this being discussed again?
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Legend

He had a very good world series - not great but then that's splitting hairs. It didn't live up to the beastly ALDS & ALCs but his 2 R double in 9th inning of game 4 inspiring the A-rod centaur clip off Lidge was arguably the single most important hit of the series for the Yanks.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

These are the words of a poster who has been defeated, but refuses to admit as much.

He had a .973 OPS in the 2009 WS. Since we're extrapolating his Ks, he also would have had 27 HR, 27 SB, 81 doubles and 162 RBI over a full season at that pace.

All we can do is laugh at this point.
    "No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in." - Bill Hicks

"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." - Leo Durocher

NYYF Triple Crown

Think we should be looking at a 3B to add, just so we can make Alex our everyday DH. Think it'll do him wonders.

*cough*ChaseHeadley*cough*

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Mo bends. Mo don't break.

NYYF Legend

We all agree he's not the Arod of 3 years ago, thats not in question. Jepsen is a tough AB for any righty, and the pitches may have been middle of the plate, but thats what great stuff does

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    We all agree he's not the Arod of 3 years ago, thats not in question. Jepsen is a tough AB for any righty, and the pitches may have been middle of the plate, but thats what great stuff does
    Yes. And with all due respect to the previous poster, its not a given that ARod of 3 years ago would have crushed those pitches either.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Thread Information